N-Europe

Pancake/Shrove Tuesday

welsh_gamer

It's pancake day today!

pancake.JPG

Anyone having or making some today? What toppings do you like with them?

We've purchased a packet from Somerfield, and I've eaten 2 allready. I like Ice Cream on them, but don't have any in the freezer, so it's just been butter today, but there still nice.

Here's a recipe to make some, if anyone's hasn't brought some or needs help :heh:

Pancake Recipe

Here's my recipe which I have just made a batch from!

1 pint of milk

2 eggs

8 oz flour

Pinch of salt

Whisk them all together in a bowl and leave to stand for a couple of hours!

Sprinkle a little castor sugar and lemon juice on them when coooked!

Edit: Actually I lied. I multiplied the recipe by half again :D

i dont think they're fake - they may have had work done though.

arent you supposed to give something up after pancake day? its lent right? is anyone doing that?

@ dohnut~ come onnn O_O all those ingredients listed couldn't cost more than £2 all together :eek:

I don't really like pancakes I guess (at least I didn't the last time I had some). It's all about crêpes, which I might make myself tomorrow.

The thing is, what constitutes a 'pancake' varies quite a bit from country to country. For instance a traditional English pancake — the type I'll be having — is very thin and crêpe-like, whereas in America pancakes are quite fat and spongy — in the UK small 'cakes of this type are called Scotch pancakes, because traditionally the Scottish used self-raising flour in their mix.

Different countries also have varied traditions when it comes to fillings and when the pancakes are to be eaten. The whole thing is surprisingly complex.

I only realised a couple of days ago that it was pancake day. Me ang my girlfriend are going over to one of her friends' houses this evening for a pancake party - great! :D There's also a trip to Sainsbury's beforehand to get ingredients for the pancakes, as well as any toppings we want. If I'm keeping it simple, golden syrup is best for me, but my girlfriend came back from Japan last year with the idea of doing a pancake with a slice of cheesecake, ice cream and butterscotch sauce. Best. Pancake. Ever.

Seems we have just enough ingredients at home to make crêpes tomorrow. Yay.

The usual toppings we have are either our typical apple/pear syrup (none of that liquidy stuff) or sugar (white, brown or light brown, my personal favourite).

But the best ones are with ice cream and hot chocolate sauce! Too bad I don't have those things here, but oh well, sugar and syrup will do fine. =3