NEurope
Twozzok

Universities and shizzle.

Wish mine were.

Despite never having gone to uni they both keep spouting bullshit about I'm living in dreamland if I think I can afford to live away from home on student loans/grants and pretty much laugh at the thought of me getting a job whilst at uni.

Ouch, sounds like your parents need a slap! What are you doing?

You're from Cheshire? So you'd live at home if you went to Manchester? If this is so, then go to Sheffield. If not, then ignore this post. :p

Nothing wrong with living at home and going to uni, well so my bank balance keeps telling me.

Nothing wrong with living at home and going to uni, well so my bank balance keeps telling me.

Getting away and surviving and studying on your own is one of the most important lessons that uni will teach you. I'd definitely suggest taking that option is there are no other factors.

Definately. It wasn't till I left home and came to uni that I truly grew up. The experience is work the price of admission (or in this case...maintenance loans). The freedom and responsibilities helped me grow as a person and is preparing me for the future a lot more than if I lived at home. I strongly reccomend it, if not for the first year, then for the second or third.

Wish mine were.

Despite never having gone to uni they both keep spouting bullshit about I'm living in dreamland if I think I can afford to live away from home on student loans/grants and pretty much laugh at the thought of me getting a job whilst at uni.

You'll be fine, if you fill in all the forms and get all the support, you'll make it =].

:yay: Most unis if your doing a third year will give you a placement which is usually paid which means you can pay a large chunk of your student loan off. Not to mention living within a city makes life alittle easier.

If you already have a job ask for a transfer, thats what I've asked with peacocks. :)

Getting away and surviving and studying on your own is one of the most important lessons that uni will teach you. I'd definitely suggest taking that option is there are no other factors.

Definately. It wasn't till I left home and came to uni that I truly grew up. The experience is work the price of admission (or in this case...maintenance loans). The freedom and responsibilities helped me grow as a person and is preparing me for the future a lot more than if I lived at home. I strongly reccomend it, if not for the first year, then for the second or third.

I'd argue that I've learnt just as much as anyone who has lived on their own. It's not all plain sailing, I might not have to do the weekly shopping, doesn't mean I don't cook my own dinners, wash my own clothes and stuff. I'd also argue I've had a lot less stress and I'm not in half as much debt as some of my friends.

Though I'm judging by what I see from my friends at Uni, at which they're all skint, have shanty flats and are all doing worse than me in their studies.

Though I'm judging by what I see from my friends at Uni, at which they're all skint, have shanty flats and are all doing worse than me in their studies.

But you will have to do this when you leave home as well. What you will find is that they have been able to become their own person while being away from home. I understand your reasoning though.

So far my expercience at university has been awesome, and I'm not even halfway through the first year.

I'm definitely one for moving out for Uni. All of my choices are outside London so I'm gonna have to move out for sure! Can't wait! Gonna be tough, but as some of you have mentioned, the experience is worth it!

I'm currently finalising all my shizzle for my impending departure to study in New Zealand.

So much bleedin paperwork!!

I do Events Management.

Don't really do much to be honest, I just go out. Waster.

Uni life here is absolutely amazing though :) I love it an insane amount.

I'm currently finalising all my shizzle for my impending departure to study in New Zealand.

So much bleedin paperwork!!

That is what I call moving out.

What date does Uni start on?

I just got a letter in the post today from UCAS because I add some choices. The previous two's entry date are 1st September but the new choices I added were the 22nd.

It's not saying I'll start the course late is it?

most start on the 22nd september. But most tell you to move into halls etc the week before on the 16th.

Some start 1st of October aswell.

As an aside, I just got a letter from UCAS reminding me that all my choices have replied, and I have to choose by the 7th of May or something.

yay only one offer from all my choices... that'll teach me to pick a popular subject and aim high.

today has been shit and this has just made it worse.

yay only one offer from all my choices... that'll teach me to pick a popular subject and aim high.

today has been shit and this has just made it worse.

one offer is infinitely better than 0. as long as its a uni and course you're ok with that is. anyway, there's always clearing

A piece of advice I'd give everyone is to not work during uni. Its a struggle, but plenty of people do it. Those I know who do work, or at least work a substantial amount, barely make it through with a clean bill of health. Frivolity is key during uni.

And speaking of, starting looking at postgrad courses. Probably going to be Warwick. Was thinking Aber so I went to speak to someone who used to lecture there and gave me about ten reasons not to. I liked Warwick when I looked around before, but the undergrad course wasn't for me.

And speaking of, starting looking at postgrad courses. Probably going to be Warwick. Was thinking Aber so I went to speak to someone who used to lecture there and gave me about ten reasons not to. I liked Warwick when I looked around before, but the undergrad course wasn't for me.

Aber... deen? ystwyth? tay?

I'd rather live at manchester than travel, by the time you've worked out the travel and the cost, I could live at halls for that much.

Not to mention I'm not going to base the next four years of my life and possibly the effect of my future on living, it has to be everything.

Yes I'm from cheshire, it takes an hour on the bus just to get to the nearest train station then it takes an hour on the train to get to manchester.

Easy is it :P

Where are you from? I too am from Cheshire but travel into Manchester every day to go to the main university, studying Cell Biology. I get the Metro from Altrincham, overall it's pretty conveniant and saves a fortune. :)

Manchester is a great place, I really recommend it to you.

A piece of advice I'd give everyone is to not work during uni. Its a struggle, but plenty of people do it. Those I know who do work, or at least work a substantial amount, barely make it through with a clean bill of health. Frivolity is key during uni.

I disagree, I think a small amount of work promotes activity and stops you from simply molding into a void of nothingness with time passing at the blink of an eye. :p

I work on Sunday only at Tesco - one day doesn't do much, but I earn £72 quid (time and a half on Sunday, so are a fair few places) just for going in at 8AM-5PM on a Sunday. That's £288 a month. :)

It really does help. So much so I don't even have student loans. :p

Aber... deen? ystwyth? tay?

ystwyth

I disagree, I think a small amount of work promotes activity and stops you from simply molding into a void of nothingness with time passing at the blink of an eye. :p

I work on Sunday only at Tesco - one day doesn't do much, but I earn £72 quid (time and a half on Sunday, so are a fair few places) just for going in at 8AM-5PM on a Sunday. That's £288 a month. :)

It really does help. So much so I don't even have student loans. :p

Not that I made it too clear but I did say "or at least a substantial amount". Im talking like 20+ hours here.

20+ hours? lol that's nuts. People aren't working at the right place if they need to work that much. Surely my kind of wage plus a student loan would be enough for most people. :)