NEurope
Twozzok

Universities and shizzle.

Well they had the decency to call. I'm abit miffed about wolvo though asking for a portfolio that I have to show infront of alot of people apprently. They make it sound like I'm supposed to be an art student when they balantly know I'm a computing one...

Doesn't sound fair, so there's no way I'm going to that open day either.

I swear to god sheffield better reply soon..

I've only been asked by wolvo, it makes no sense considering I'd only be able to show websites and games and they'd have to be on a computer.

Shame really, if sheffield as for one I'll scrap something together.

Kent asked me for 280 points and a portfolio, at which point I realised that although Leeds and Kent were my backups just in case I didn't get any offers from my main 3, it would have made sense to choose uni's with lower UCAS requirements :D

Leeds said I was unsuccessful, oh well.

So at the moment it's Portsmouth or Bournemouth. Still waiting on Southampton Solent. *fingers crossed for Bournemouth still*

Well, looks like I've got an interview at Queen Marys on the 13th. If anyone else does too, maybe I'll see ya there ;).

I dropped out of Uni after my first year. I was studying Comp Sci with AI, and although i was good at the course i just found that my heart wasn't in it. I only chose it in the first place because people kept telling me i was talented and that i'd go far in that industry...

That was nearly 2 years ago now! Hopefully i'll be starting a new course in September, Culinary Arts Management! I really can't wait! This is the sort of course i wanted to do in the first place!

I've applied to:

University College Birmingham

Sheffield Hallam

Manchester Metropolitan

University of Ulster

Thames Valley University

The last 2 are just filler though, don't want to go to London or Ireland!

Man I want to go to Uni so bad, but I still have 2 and a half years of high school too do first :(

Already looked at courses in PSE at school, was looking at Computing Science at Edinburgh. Would like to go a bit farther afield than that but Edinburgh is the best Computing Uni in GB apparently.

Actually while I think about it, what do you actually study in Comp Sci? All I know is that you do programming and general Computer stuff :p

Anything you want to know just ask. I'd really recommend forgetting about which uni is best though, it doesn't matter all that much. At the end of the day employers don't just look at you're qualifications, they look at what else you've achieved and how you've developed through University.

Being happy with the place you're at is 100 times more important than being at the best place. You'll do better in the long run.

Another one for Sheffield Hallam! It's a nice university, and a decent enough city :) Looks like another name to be added for a get-together if/when you all get here!

Just been reading the new student finance stuff, never realised in changed!

I got about £3k to pay off my tuition and accommodation last time, both of which came to £600 more than the loan! Then i had £40 a week from my parents (i was in catered accommodation, so in theory i didn't need much)

Now the loan is like £4k after fees are paid?!?!?!! Thats crazy! Stupid amount of debt to get in to, but at the same time i wont be poor this time round :yay:

Should be getting about £8/hour from work too, not sure how many hours i'll do yet though...

Why didn't i read that bit sooner, i've been worrying! :blush:

Another one for Sheffield Hallam! It's a nice university, and a decent enough city Looks like another name to be added for a get-together if/when you all get here!

I'll know soon enough, my offers will be unconditional because im not taking any exams.

They might all turn me down on the basis of late application, but hopefully they'll take pity on me! I only decided to return to uni at Christmas, and then everything went to hell. I doubt anyone wants to know how much has gone wrong in the past month, so i won't go in to details but basically i had too many other things on my mind to think about uni :(

Whats Hallam like? I've never even seen the place, just did what research i could from here...

Just been reading the new student finance stuff, never realised in changed!

I got about £3k to pay off my tuition and accommodation last time, both of which came to £600 more than the loan! Then i had £40 a week from my parents (i was in catered accommodation, so in theory i didn't need much)

Now the loan is like £4k after fees are paid?!?!?!! Thats crazy! Stupid amount of debt to get in to, but at the same time i wont be poor this time round :yay:

Should be getting about £8/hour from work too, not sure how many hours i'll do yet though...

Why didn't i read that bit sooner, i've been worrying! :blush:

I'll know soon enough, my offers will be unconditional because im not taking any exams.

They might all turn me down on the basis of late application, but hopefully they'll take pity on me! I only decided to return to uni at Christmas, and then everything went to hell. I doubt anyone wants to know how much has gone wrong in the past month, so i won't go in to details but basically i had too many other things on my mind to think about uni :(

Whats Hallam like? I've never even seen the place, just did what research i could from here...

Then dare I ask why mine will never be unconditional even though I'm not taking any exams either :indeed:

On a btec you still won't get unconiditonal, odd that you will get them then

Then dare I ask why mine will never be unconditional even though I'm not taking any exams either :indeed:

Because people that do btecs are weird so it's best to keep them at a distance for now? :heh:

Ye might need to define some criteria :) Fairly busy most of the time but never too crowded to move. Getting around can be a bit confusing at first, because the floor you enter the uni from is floor 5... The library's just had an extension... Well what do you want to know? :P

Because PcPhee's already done his a-levels :P You're doing courswork still, silly!

Because people that do btecs are weird so it's best to keep them at a distance for now? :heh:

pssh, I'd give you a good slapping for that comment :heh:

btec = a-levels jayseven, I don't take exams until I hit uni.

I know what it is :P my sister's gone back to do her HND this year at bournemouth. It's worth a few a-levels together, isn't it?

I'd agree with that being a BTEC student.

Got some thing from Huddersfield inviting me to some open day type thing although I think I'm gonna choose Leeds Met and Sheffield Hallam over Huddersfield.

Hello, First time post here. Pretty much a troll question as it stands. Hell if i'm going to go through every page of this so far.

Basically I've applied to return back to university for this coming september. So far I'm liking the looks of cheltenham or as its known, university of gloucestershire to do (ba) multimedia. Just wondering if the off chance if anyone here is attending the uni itself and how they rate it. What to do, how expensive it is. Whats its like to get work?

From a personal stand point. I was in uni about 4 years ago, hated it from the get go. Had real issues meeting people, had real issues with people.

My best piece of advice I can give you if any of you lot if you have issues is chat to your student council and your course leader, they will always be very supportive as long as you show you are committed. No matter what circumstance you are always able to suspend your studies quite easily. It just means you won't get a summer.

By no exams i meant i finished 6th Form almost 3 years ago. Theres nothing to put conditions on : peace:

Ye might need to define some criteria :) Fairly busy most of the time but never too crowded to move. Getting around can be a bit confusing at first, because the floor you enter the uni from is floor 5... The library's just had an extension... Well what do you want to know? :P

Whats the night life like? :p

To be honest most of what i need to know relates to my course, so i'll have to find that out directly from the uni.

By no exams i meant i finished 6th Form almost 3 years ago. Theres nothing to put conditions on : peace:

To be honest most of what i need to know relates to my course, so i'll have to find that out directly from the uni.

even though u said u didnt want to go to ireland (p.s i go to the university of ulster and i think the one u would be going to)

just to let u know they will let u in.. easy! even if you dont get the grades/apply late

i mean i didnt get the grades and i got an unconditional offer :D

i think ulster uni is the backup for most people hence why the grade levels are lower with this uni

Well there's a place called The Plug, which is indie-ish, and they get a fair amount of live acts that all teh cool emo kids line up for from 12pm. The Corporation is the goth-ish club, one floor is fairly generic rock music and the lower floor is a bit more off the radar. Then there's the union, which has a host of nights through teh week - monday night is Pounded, quid entry and on selected drinks -- very popular nights, people tend to buy the tickets up to a week in advance.

There's a lot of bars and joints on Western Road (or west street? I forget teh name) which are all studently packed. Personally, I'm not a big one for going out, so you won't be able to get the lo-down on much to do with night-life :P

Went to manchester mmu today...dear god the uni is amazing, but now it worries me that if I do get a conidtional from sheffield hallam in game design, that I'm not going to be sure which to choose. The two uni's and cities are so alike that I'm extremely confused.

-.-

Went to manchester mmu today...dear god the uni is amazing, but now it worries me that if I do get a conidtional from sheffield hallam in game design, that I'm not going to be sure which to choose. The two uni's and cities are so alike that I'm extremely confused.

-.-

You're from Cheshire? So you'd live at home if you went to Manchester? If this is so, then go to Sheffield. If not, then ignore this post. :p

I'd rather live at manchester than travel, by the time you've worked out the travel and the cost, I could live at halls for that much.

Not to mention I'm not going to base the next four years of my life and possibly the effect of my future on living, it has to be everything.

Yes I'm from cheshire, it takes an hour on the bus just to get to the nearest train station then it takes an hour on the train to get to manchester.

Easy is it :P

I couldn't possibly go to Uni and live at home. My neighbour goes to Edinburgh, a 30 minute drive away, and lives at home. I just couldn't do that - it's not the proper Uni experience if you don't move out.

I couldn't possibly go to Uni and live at home. My neighbour goes to Edinburgh, a 30 minute drive away, and lives at home. I just couldn't do that - it's not the proper Uni experience if you don't move out.

That happens to be the other argument, luckily my parents are keen for me to do basically whatever I wish to do but are steering me more towards manchester because of the whole future career thing which I'm tending to agree with.

They see both sides which is good, but it makes life harder for me to decide! :indeed:

That happens to be the other argument, luckily my parents are keen for me to do basically whatever I wish to do but are steering me more towards manchester because of the whole future career thing which I'm tending to agree with.

They see both sides which is good, but it makes life harder for me to decide! :indeed:

Wish mine were.

Despite never having gone to uni they both keep spouting bullshit about I'm living in dreamland if I think I can afford to live away from home on student loans/grants and pretty much laugh at the thought of me getting a job whilst at uni.