NEurope
Twozzok

Universities and shizzle.

I was worried that with having all unconditionals I would only be allowed one choice. But thankfully I'm still allowed two. :)

I was worried that with having all unconditionals I would only be allowed one choice. But thankfully I'm still allowed two. :)

Why does that matter? Surely you'll just go to whatever you put down as firm...

I gave up on uni about six hours in. I get middle two ones (Politics) without too much effort (62 overall last year :/). Work is hard, but only because I don't put the work in. For a prestigious uni (Warwick), 8th overall and 3rd for my subject, a lot of the kids are not even sixth-form smart. So I sort of glide through.

I go in about three hours a week average (3/7). Rest is 360 and WoW.

Went out a lot last year but you soon realise how expensive it is. You can have a much better and cheaper time buying in beers and renting a movie or playing Mario Kart. Food is extremely important. Keeps the spirits high.

The only positive thing I've done at university is get a literary education. I get a few books out a week from the library and have been doing that since Week 1. We have a good library here, which not only has a full collection of novels new and old but also things like Collected Letters, Collected Essays. I've worked my way through the American canon (my favourite) and some of the English.

Tip: Choose a degree you actually, literally, genuinely want to do. Don't go for something prestigious, or a prestigious university, or think about careers. This will be your life day and night for three years, so pick exactly want you want. Whatever comes after that can come after.

Tip 2: if you are an Arts student, get WoW.

No, if you accept an unconditional you're not allowed to put down an insurance.

To be honest I'm quite worried about my UCAS. It hasn't been touched by the uni's since the 14th of December.

ucaschoices.png

Don't be, mine wasn't updated not even one offer til very very recently, last week I believe. Some unis are taking their sweet time getting back to people =]

I'm probably gonna go to KCL...although I'm eligible for a scholarship from Hull, which means that I'll basically have to pay fuck all, which would be sweet, and Hull is Larkinville, so it's bound to be pretty cool. KCL is still lookin to be the first choice though...even though living in London is going to cost a bomb...

Why does that matter? Surely you'll just go to whatever you put down as firm...

Because my girlfriend had 5 conditionals, so it would be good if we had two choices in case she didn't get into her first.

No, if you accept an unconditional you're not allowed to put down an insurance.

But I'm able to, quite literally, right this second, do it.

Believe me, when you get in Uni, you'll wish you were back in high school...

Get ready to learn lots of maths: algebra, analysis, calculus, etc..., programming basis, circuits, processors, interfaces, some basic physics and stuff like that. At least that's how we roll here.

That actually sounds mostly like what I want to do. For Edinburgh at least, you can do Comp Sci with a minor in Maths, Physics and AI iirc.

Abertay is meant to be quite good for computer science although they just call it Computing. One of my friends is in his 2nd year up there and loving it. I'm sure if you want to talk to him about it he'd be more than happy to have a chat on MSN with you.

It's alright, I'm just generally looking around right now. I have half of 4th year, plus 5th and 6th year to go yet, so I have plenty of time :p

To be honest I'm quite worried about my UCAS. It hasn't been touched by the uni's since the 14th of December.

ucaschoices.png

Don;t worry. Isn't the deadline for applications mid-to late jan, or even feb? A lot of unis won't reply to anyone until after this deadline.

Also; Haver's said some very true and very useful things there! You are thrust into a world of a lot of responsiblity for your own path. I was scared at first that everyone on the course would be better than me... but they aren't :P You make of it whatever you please - and you'll probably learn fairly quick why they say you pay 3k+ for a library card... Use it when you can! And try not to get too far into your student overdraft like me >_<

Oh, and be careful; everyone is eager to meet new people in teh start, and it's very rare that the people you make friends with in the fresher's weeks will still be friends after a month or so - but fear not, people are everywhere!

Wes, the reason it asks you is because you can have a conditional as firm and an unconditional as backup if need be. It won't let you choose one as firm and one as insurance if you submit the replies - and if it does, you'll be stuck with the one you chose Firm for.

Anyone else starting Sheffield next year? Oh and to those already there I expect to be welcomed with funny hats and generous helpings of pie.

everyone kept saying don't have your heart set on one place with one backup.

Woops.

I should probably respond to my offers in UCAS. We havnt had Tutorial in ages though and thats where we talk about Uni and shizz.

Wes, the reason it asks you is because you can have a conditional as firm and an unconditional as backup if need be. It won't let you choose one as firm and one as insurance if you submit the replies - and if it does, you'll be stuck with the one you chose Firm for.

Really...

:(

That puts so much added pressure on my girlfriend. I was hoping we would be able to have two choices we both like... if it's only one then... agh!

*runs off*

yupyup, not that one more choice would make any difference to me, everyone kept saying don't have your heart set on one place with one backup.

It's Bournemouth or Portsmouth for me all the way.

And maybe Southampton Solent.

Really...

:(

That puts so much added pressure on my girlfriend. I was hoping we would be able to have two choices we both like... if it's only one then... agh!

*runs off*

Afraid so :( You can read up about it on the UCAS site somewhere, look on the offers/replying to offers section.

ucaschoices.png

Well, they don't have to reply until something stupid like july if they don't want to :(

EDIT: What are you applying for?

Anyone else starting Sheffield next year? Oh and to those already there I expect to be welcomed with funny hats and generous helpings of pie.

Well hey, me and Shorty are at Sheffield Hallam (boo, you might say :P) and I could've sworn Cube lives locally... Well We'd be up for a swift pint or three someplace if/when you arrive :) I'm afraid I can't provide any funny hats or pie, but I assure you Shorty looks fairly damn hilarious with or without a hat on!

I'm not so sure although I could be wrong. I'm sure one of my brothers friends met her conditions to get into medicine at Dundee but they still didn't let her. This was a few years ago and I might not have heard the full story.

They could not let her in if she failed the CRB check/wasn't willing to accept the Conditions of Training Contract

I'm probably gonna go to KCL...although I'm eligible for a scholarship from Hull, which means that I'll basically have to pay fuck all, which would be sweet, and Hull is Larkinville, so it's bound to be pretty cool. KCL is still lookin to be the first choice though...even though living in London is going to cost a bomb...

Hull's a pretty good uni. You're going to be a in a ton of debt wherever you go - just chose the uni you like the best!

Well, they don't have to reply until something stupid like july if they don't want to :(

EDIT: What are you applying for?

Music Technology and it's variants in all uni's. Some places call it audio and sound technology etc.

Bard: Only difference with London financially is that accomodation costs about double and alcohol is slighty more expensive (vastly so in clubs). The loan gets increased to cover the accomodation prices of London anyway and it has a far more varied nightlife than Hull Students could ever hope to have.

Most (all?) universities in the UK use a system called UCAS to manage applications. What you do is choose which courses you would like to do on UCAS and then they send off your application to your chosen universities (you're allowed 6 choices I believe). The universities then look through the applications (all the departments in universities tend to do this differently) and then they will tell UCAS who will then tell you, what grades you need to get to get in or in some cases tell you that you've got an "unconditional". Meaning that you've got a place if you want it.

Then you need to get those grades and you're pretty much assured of a place. Some universities will give you an interview before telling you what your conditions are. Then in Scotland (might be different in England) the day the exam results come out the university you have chosen will send you a letter telling you whether you're in or not.

Sounds like a rather streamlined process. What's part of the application? Over here applications range from extracurriculars and community service, grades, scores, and a short writing sample to ec+community, grades, scores, three letters of recommendation, and three writing samples (ranging from 300 minimum to 500 minimum words)--the latter would be my first choice school's application. More selective schools offer interviews, but none that I've seen require it.

Music Technology and it's variants in all uni's. Some places call it audio and sound technology etc.

Awesome, was thinking of applying for that until Edexcel lost my coursework/exam paper and gave me an U (I got it remarked and they sent a letter saying sorry about losing your shit and here's an E for your troubles) (wankers)