NEurope
Twozzok

Universities and shizzle.

Man I want to go to Uni so bad, but I still have 2 and a half years of high school too do first :(

Already looked at courses in PSE at school, was looking at Computing Science at Edinburgh. Would like to go a bit farther afield than that but Edinburgh is the best Computing Uni in GB apparently.

Actually while I think about it, what do you actually study in Comp Sci? All I know is that you do programming and general Computer stuff :p

Interview this coming Wednesday for Uni of Surrey (in Guildford), conditionals from Loughborough and Edinburgh, and rejected by Bath and Bristol, all for Civil Engineering.

Man I want to go to Uni so bad, but I still have 2 and a half years of high school too do first :(

Already looked at courses in PSE at school, was looking at Computing Science at Edinburgh. Would like to go a bit farther afield than that but Edinburgh is the best Computing Uni in GB apparently.

Actually while I think about it, what do you actually study in Comp Sci? All I know is that you do programming and general Computer stuff :p

Nothing wrong with looking early, all I know in computer science is that you can do AI, alot of the stuff in that course also is what I'm doing now as a computer practitioner, like databases and whatnot.

You may as well go further and have a look, just because it's the best doesn't mean others aren't as worthwhile :).

Your last year of high school will go quick anyways.

University/College

University of Derby (D39)

Course

Computer Games Modelling & Animation (GG64)

University/College

The University of Bradford (B56)

Course

Computer Animation (G450)

University/College

The University of Bolton (B44)

Course

Games Art (GH46)

University/College

University of Lincoln (L39)

Course

Games Computing (G401)

University/College

The University of Huddersfield (H60)

Course

Computer Games Design (G4W6)

I'm not bothered about Lincoln University and would be reluctant to go to either Bolton ('cause it's a new course there) or Derby (because it's only a year old there). But, Lincoln was the safest bet (although it's not really what I want to do...).

As for my replies...

As for my replies...

Blimey, it's alright for some...

You're a post grad, I take it?

Fuck you Wes :p

I have offers for BC, BB, and BCC. Not even got a reply from York yet ¬_¬

:yay:

Blimey, it's alright for some...

You're a post grad, I take it?

Nope, I'm actually on a gap year.

:yay:

Nope, I'm actually on a gap year.

Jesus, what did you get at A level?

The rankings change quite a lot, even in 2 years. When I went to uni UEA was in the top 10 for computing by the time I left it had fallen to 35 I think.

So Wes you gonna start this year September? If you come to Huddersfield we could meet up.

Only on my AS's at the moment, but when I have to apply etc, I'm hoping (*praying*) to get into Bristol, or at least University of West England. (Both based in/around Bristol) for a Zoology or Animal Welfare/Behaviour course.

Jesus, what did you get at A level?

Nothing too amazing, really.

A Level

Government and Politics - C

ICT Applied DOuble Award - BB

AS Level

Critical Thinking - C

Psychology - C

So altogether 320... or 340, I can't remember, UCAS points.

To be honest I was a little disappointed with my grades - especially ICT as I did have an A* at GCSE and wanted something better at A Level. But seeing as we were only the second year group to take it and no one in school has gotten a BB yet I was... meh, kind of happy.

Lesson to learn though - avoid courses that are either new, or only a year or two old (ie. Derby and Bolton :heh:)

So Wes you gonna start this year September? If you come to Huddersfield we could meet up.

Hell yeah. We can go party like real Uni kids. Or play on games... lol

Huddersfield is probably my second choice behind Bradford.

Here in portugal it's "no grade=fuck off".

Believe me, when you get in Uni, you'll wish you were back in high school...

Get ready to learn lots of maths: algebra, analysis, calculus, etc..., programming basis, circuits, processors, interfaces, some basic physics and stuff like that. At least that's how we roll here.

It's fun reading about the UK system of applying to college. I don't really understand most of what you guys are talking about :smile:. So, all of these schools have requirements for admission? Does anyone that meets the requirements get admitted? And when do the schools tell you whether you are admitted? It seems like many have already notified you. Do they base the decision depending on your major? Are you bound to the major you select on your application? I'm just really curious about how it works over there.

Over here, I applied to the University of Chicago, among others, and I won't hear back from any of my top tier choices until early April, and then I must make a decision before May 1st. Most schools ask my top 3 intended majors, but I am not at all bound to them. I could change my major until the end of my second year at the school. No schools have any requirements, and it's not at all uncommon to see people with worse test scores and exam grades receive admission over someone with perfect scores and grades.

I can't wait to go.

Abertay is meant to be quite good for computer science although they just call it Computing. One of my friends is in his 2nd year up there and loving it. I'm sure if you want to talk to him about it he'd be more than happy to have a chat on MSN with you.

It's fun reading about the UK system of applying to college. I don't really understand most of what you guys are talking about :smile:. So, all of these schools have requirements for admission? Does anyone that meets the requirements get admitted? And when do the schools tell you whether you are admitted? It seems like many have already notified you. Do they base the decision depending on your major? Are you bound to the major you select on your application? I'm just really curious about how it works over there.

Most (all?) universities in the UK use a system called UCAS to manage applications. What you do is choose which courses you would like to do on UCAS and then they send off your application to your chosen universities (you're allowed 6 choices I believe). The universities then look through the applications (all the departments in universities tend to do this differently) and then they will tell UCAS who will then tell you, what grades you need to get to get in or in some cases tell you that you've got an "unconditional". Meaning that you've got a place if you want it.

Then you need to get those grades and you're pretty much assured of a place. Some universities will give you an interview before telling you what your conditions are. Then in Scotland (might be different in England) the day the exam results come out the university you have chosen will send you a letter telling you whether you're in or not.

Over here, I applied to the University of Chicago, among others, and I won't hear back from any of my top tier choices until early April, and then I must make a decision before May 1st. Most schools ask my top 3 intended majors, but I am not at all bound to them. I could change my major until the end of my second year at the school. No schools have any requirements, and it's not at all uncommon to see people with worse test scores and exam grades receive admission over someone with perfect scores and grades.

I can't wait to go.

There is really no such thing as majoring in the UK - you apply for one subject, and study it. Some courses are more flexible, but they're in the minority. You do sometimes get a chance to do unrelated modules and the like, however.

I'm pretty sure if you get the grades of your offer for your Main choice the university are contractually obligated to let you in.

Want to go to Nottingham so much. Haven't heard from them =/ Picked law which is apparently 2nd most desired course >_<

If I don't get in, but do obtain the grades is there something I might be able to do to get in?

I'm pretty sure if you get the grades of your offer for your Main choice the university are contractually obligated to let you in.

It was legally binding when I was going through the process last year, so I'd imagine it remains so.

Seeing as we're posting what we got... I got 6 conditional offers, varying from AAA to (I think) ABB.

I went to Newcastle University (Maths BSc) and Nottingham University (Statistics MPhil). Think I needed BBC to get into Newcastle but got ABB, then got a First so Nottingham welcomed me with open arms.

I can heartily recommend Newcastle as a great university and city. Nottingham was nice too, but the undergraduate life is better than that of a postgraduate.

It's 5 choices now. It was 6 last year - although I never bothered with it last year.

I'm not so sure although I could be wrong. I'm sure one of my brothers friends met her conditions to get into medicine at Dundee but they still didn't let her. This was a few years ago and I might not have heard the full story.

It's 5 choices now. It was 6 last year - although I never bothered with it last year.

yupyup, not that one more choice would make any difference to me, everyone kept saying don't have your heart set on one place with one backup.

Look what happened haha :indeed:

You also have to remember some unis go for the best then for those that have the grades met, not to mention they go on how quickly you ask for an offer and your personal statement.