NEurope
welsh_gamer

What's the worst thing that Nintendo have ever done?

What in your opion, is the worst thing that Nintendo have ever done?

Is it something they did to your favourite franchise?

Is it something they included or left out of a game?

Is it a particular character they invented?

Could it even be one of their products?

Btw, we shall take Friend Code's as read. :heh:

The one thing I hate Nintendo for doing the most, is giving Bowser a voice in Super Mario Sunshine. It's very cringeworthy listening to it, and it was the final nail in the coffin for my enjoyment of this game. Thank god Bowser didn't talk in Galaxy.

It's also annoying that Nintendo never used the Koopalings after their final apperance in Super Mario World. It would have made New Super Mario Bros slightly more enjoyable, instead of having to battle Boswer Jr all the time.

Hmm, DK 64 was an abomination.

I'm also tempted to say the Sony thing, but apart from Nintendo becoming complete underdogs, I'm very happy with what came out on the N64. Apart from DK 64.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things too.

Friend codes... Wii isn't as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3, GameCube was purple and all... we could draw up quite a list.

Hmmm gotta be the teenny amount of flash memory in the Wii.

Oh and the farce of no hard drive or other device to compensate for this.

I can't think of any one super bad thing. A few highlights include selling Rare, dumping Sony, not keeping Starfox in-house (though honestly, I would have thought Rare and bloody Namco would deliver) and Euro release delays in general. I would also put loosing all those franchises during the N64 era (FF et all) but those seem to be on their way back now.

Going cheap on the Wii.

I understand the importance of achieving a 'mass market' price point but they couldve made a superior machine, kept the same price point, and easily offset the costs with its many, many cheaply made million-seller 'non-games'

I cant decide between the holocaust and 9/11 ....then again I dont think it is right to say that one can considered 'worse' than the other.

Hmm, DK 64 was an abomination.

I'm also tempted to say the Sony thing, but apart from Nintendo becoming complete underdogs, I'm very happy with what came out on the N64. Apart from DK 64.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things too.

Friend codes... Wii isn't as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3, GameCube was purple and all... we could draw up quite a list.

what was it exactly you wasnt feeling about dk 64? i really liked it back in the day,(as did most i think?) but i replayed dk country on snes recently and 64 seemed like a bit of a missed oppertunity, they didnt really make any attempt to translate the gamestyle into 3d and just went for the banjo kazooie format.. anyway what about you?

Probably the hardware design for the N64. Cartridges, the flawed hardware, and Nintendo's general arrogance lost them the lead they only regained ten years later.

Going cheap on the Wii.

I understand the importance of achieving a 'mass market' price point but they couldve made a superior machine, kept the same price point, and easily offset the costs with its many, many cheaply made million-seller 'non-games'

That was also the first thing that came to my mind.

Then simplifying some games to appeal more to casuals.

And thinking that they know what the consumer wants.

Not giving out access to Mii's to 3rd parties.

The popularity of the Wii is unforeseen, Nintendo chose the safe way when they didn't have to, but they didn't know that at the time. This isn't a mistake they couldn't've known in advance. A more powerful machine wouldn't have been better either (I'll dig up an old post I made where I argued this if you wish).

Not stocking up properly with the Wii by taking the safer option, not advertising the GC and not bringing in more mature games for the console.

Whoring they're characters out

Mario Party

Ruining Starfox

Being late to every single party there is; console releases, online gaming, optical disks, hard drives. The only thing they've managed to stay ahead on is controllers.

console releases: I'm pretty sure Wii came out before PS3 in Europe

online: SNES Sattelaview and 64DD say hi! But yeah you're right :P

Don't mind that they sticked to cartridges with N64, they might have lost costumers, but I had one more gen without crappy loading times.

Also, someone said N64's shitty hardware. Well, it was much better than the competitors at the time, so I don't really get your point.

Biggest screwups... mmm nothing major, but it sucks that they haven't been able to give starfox to a decent company. Make it yourselves damnit!

But the biggest mistake was to let Rare keep Banjo, Conker and Perfect Dark (they could have sold Rare eitherway) and let Silicon Knights go. Sure, maybe they could only do well when they were holding their hands and they demanded lots of money and whatnot, but they were the perfect company to fill their 1st/2nd party "mature" games.

Dumping Sony of course turned out bad for them, but it was pretty much unforeseeable and it was great for us consumers. What really sucked is that they lost too much ground in 3rd party relations in the past.

Allowing the Pokemon cartoon to be made. I think it cemented Nintendo's childish image as well as glorifying Pokemon as a childs game in popular perception. You could say that doesn't matter but I always think it hurts my enjoyment of a game, especially like Pokemon, if none of your friends play it either!

Frankly all of the things you mention pail into insignificance when compared with regional lockouts/regional delays. That is surely the worst thing.

The way they treat Europe

There online ideas

Not releasing a hard-drive when us fans 'need' it

Frankly all of the things you mention pail into insignificance when compared with regional lockouts/regional delays. That is surely the worst thing.

Agreed.

No Chronotrigger/Secret of Mana/Final Fantasy (OK, this wasn't Nintendo), waiting years for Animal Crossing, not being able to trade Friend Vouchers with Americans...Gah!

It's maybe even worse given that I can buy any DS game from anywhere in the world and play it on my Japanese Nintendo DS.

what was it exactly you wasnt feeling about dk 64? i really liked it back in the day,(as did most i think?) but i replayed dk country on snes recently and 64 seemed like a bit of a missed oppertunity, they didnt really make any attempt to translate the gamestyle into 3d and just went for the banjo kazooie format.. anyway what about you?

Yeah I'm de acuerdo with what you're saying. After the DKC's it just wasn't the great leap to 3D that Mario 64 and Zelda was. You hit the nail on the head when you said that they used the Banjo-Kazooie format, because well, despite my love of Nintendo and Rare... I don't like the Banjo games. So when DK64 turned out to be like Banjo I just felt it was the wrong direction for them to go in- and pretty lazy at that.

I don't hate the Kongs they introduced in it, but for example, you had Lanky who was like Kazooie (with the running) which annoyed me and just proves even more that its Banjo with a DK skin over it. And the way the game had the pads for you to stand on and all... it was just a Banjo spoof- cos lets face it, DK64 was just too wacky for its own good.

I could probably go on, but I think you understand where I'm coming from cos I've basically just expanded on what you said. (There are a few good points by the way- like some of the tunes and the minecart sections.)

I loved DK64 more than SM64. And I still do. Then again, I loved the Banjo Kazooie format.

let me see..

Making zelda cel shaded ( GCN )

using mini DVD discs for the gamecube

Selling Rareware to microsoft because of that we will never see another Killer instinct

and the worst thing is not giving us european a release date for europe ( smashbros Brawl )

I loved DK64 more than SM64. And I still do. Then again, I loved the Banjo Kazooie format.

Aye well, theres always one. :heh:

Selling Rareware to microsoft because of that we will never see another Killer instinct

Ah man, so true. K.I is sorely missed! After Rares bit of teasing with their Christmas card (a Christmas stocking hanging over the fire with K.I 3 on it) I've been reminded of what we are missing out on. I dunno if K.I can work in 3D, but even still. :(