Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Is It Legal For A Store Selling Game Mods With Games?

Cube

Some of you may or may not have heard of the PC game Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

An American Store is selling the game with a "Bonus DVD" with new content for the game. This new content is not official, but rather created by fans of the game (myself included).

I'm appalled that the store is practically making money from something that I worked on.

Is it legal for them to do this?

Some of you may or may not have heard of the PC game Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

An American Store is selling the game with a "Bonus DVD" with new content for the game. This new content is not official, but rather created by fans of the game (myself included).

I'm appalled that the store is practically making money from something that I worked on.

Is it legal for them to do this?

Is there any proof that you and others created the game? Otherwise it wouldn't be considering legal if you had proof that they are selling the game you made without your permission to sell it.

I'm pretty sure its not legal to be selling the game anyway, because it could breach copyright.

:wtf:

Is there any proof that you and others created the game? Otherwise it wouldn't be considering legal if you had proof that they are selling the game you made without your permission to sell it.

I'm pretty sure its not legal to be selling the game anyway, because it could breach copyright.

:wtf:

It's the additional content that's the problem, not the game. And yes, there's plenty of proof that we created the stuff.

The shop may be charging just for the physical media and the time spent burning/creating the disc.

That'll probably be their excuse, then.

I'd imagine it's a mixture of that, and the fact that game mods are probably a grey area for copyright, because you're using someone else's code or whatever.

For Bridge Commander, the developers/publishers released a license that meant that we could mod every part of the game (apart from the game engine) as long as no selling was involved.

For Bridge Commander, the developers/publishers released a license that meant that we could mod every part of the game (apart from the game engine) as long as no selling was involved.

Aren´t they breaching that license by selling the mods?

It probably depends on the way that you made and released this thing.

The shop may be charging just for the physical media and the time spent burning/creating the disc.

Sounds very dubious though.

but isnt charging for the physicalmedia/time just like what the people who copy DVD's?

im going to spend time typing up the harry potter books and selling them, im sure that isnt legal.

but if thats what they are doing it isnt fair :(

but then if its licensed under GPL or something similer, its 100% legal

That's what I was saying - it depends on the license that it's released under. If it was GPL and they're selling it to recoup costs only then that's fine.

(Of course your HP example is silly - those works are copyrighted in an entirely different way - I'm not dumb.)

Wouldn't it have been better to mail the publisher/developer of the game instead? They would know more about the situation. :-/

Not if they don't respond. The developer hasn't been up to a lot during the past four years and the publisher doesn't really care about it's Star Trek games anymore.

Not being funny - but you could look at it as cool that the thing you made is getting out to as many people as possible.

I'd prefer it if they asked, though.

Anyway, I've found out that the website has been reported to Totally Games/Activision not just for the mods, but because they're selling pirated versions of the game.