N-Europe

Benazir Bhutto Killed

UziT

Pakistani former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has been killed in a presumed suicide attack, a spokesman for the Pakistan People's Party (PPP) says.

Other reports said Ms Bhutto had only been injured and taken to hospital.

Ms Bhutto had just addressed a rally of PPP supporters in the town of Rawalpindi when the rally was hit by a blast.

At least 15 other people are reported killed in the attack.

Ms Bhutto has twice been the country's prime minister and was campaigning ahead of elections due in January.

Thats some fuckin shocking stuff right there, stuff aint right in Pakistan and it needs to get sorted before more people will get killed.

Sky News article:

Benazir Bhutto Assassinated At Rally

Updated:15:59, Thursday December 27, 2007

Pakistan opposition leader Benazir Bhutto has been shot dead at a political rally.

The gunman then detonated a bomb, killing at least 15 of her supporters. Many more were injured in the suicide blast.

Ms Bhutto, 54, was shot in the chest and neck as she got into her car after her speech to thousands in Rawalpindi.

The former prime minister was unconscious as she was taken to Rawalpindi General Hospital and died soon after.

"She has been martyred," said Rehman Malik, a spokesman for her party.

Some of her supporters smashed windows and doors at the hospital, chanting: "Dog, Musharraf, Dog."

It is the first major attack since President General Pervez Musharraf lifted emergency rule two weeks ago.

He has appealed for calm in the country following the assassination, Pakistan state TV reports.

Sky News correspondent Alex Crawford said the country's January 8 elections would now "most likely be postponed or cancelled".

She added: "The entire political scene in Pakistan will be torn apart. She will become a martyr in many people's eyes.

"This is an end of a dream for them. I really don't think she ever thought it would come to this."

About 20 people died in the blast

About 20 people died in the blast

Rehman Malik, Ms Bhutto's security advisor, said: "We repeatedly informed the government to provide her proper security and appropriate equipment including jammers, but they paid no heed to our requests".

Shabbas Sharif, the brother of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, said: "I'm shellshocked. It's very bad for this country. Whoever has done this has done the biggest disservice to Pakistan."

"The government must resign, Musharaf must go home, they must hold a very transparent enquiry into Benazir's killing."

Defence and political analyst Ayesha Siddiqa said part of her undoing was "the fact that she thought she could negotiate with the military".

Britain's Defence Secretary David Miliband described Ms Bhutto's death as "senseless".

He paid tribute to the political leader and told Sky News: "She knew the risks of returning to Pakistan for the campaign, but was convinced her country needed her."

US President George Bush is expected to make an announcement about the assassination this afternoon.

The US State Department condemned the killing, saying it undermines the reconciliation process.

A spokesman for the White House said: "We condemn the acts of violence which took place today in Pakistan".

A spokesman for the White House said: "We condemn the acts of violence which took place today in Pakistan".

For fucks sake, they couldn't have come out with something more banal and meaningless could they?

As if they care, it's under their and America's pressure that the Pakistan army is being forced to kill, beat and imprison it's own people, so tell me, how is that not going to create a fearful and desperate environment, so much so that things like this happen...?

I don't so much care about her, she was responsible for so much freeloading and corruption it was unreal, what is sad is that there is no voice for the relatives of the other 20 or innocent people who died.

I've been watching this on the news for the last few hours. They couldn't have picked a worse/better time to strike, what with the election just days away.

The country is in a state, and it's not safe for an election to take place, imo.

Edit: If people want more info on this, turn on any news channel, its being widely covered.

This is without doubt an absolute disaster instability in Pakistan is in noones interest but Muslim terrorist groups. I really hope Pakistan as a state and society can recover and gain some stability. Condonlences to friends and family of Benazir Bhutto she was a brave woman.

Just been seeing this. Massive political divison, if not open civil war, in a nuclear armed nation. It's a scary age we live in, innit?

Thinking about it though, I think Bhuto has actually been quite clever in an odd sort of way - by becoming a martyr to your cause, you render yourself technically indestructable.

Thinking about it though, I think Bhuto has actually been quite clever in an odd sort of way - by becoming a martyr to your cause, you render yourself technically indestructable.

I don't think she meant to be killed, but I do see what you're saying. She's started the ball rolling, and she has a lot of supporters, so maybe there will still be hope for Pakistan one day. But, the way things are, no election can take place without the opposition fearing for their safety.

That needs to be addressed first, before a new leader can be chosen.

I think it's terrible, even backwards, that we're not hearing about the other 20 odd people who were killed.

I'm suprised no one has suspected mr iron-grip on Pakistan general musharraf for conducting the assasination. What a perfect way to delay elections and stop the opposition at the same time. He's done so much unjustified stuff to hold onto power, so i'd be completely unsuprised if it was him.

Oh and Uzit, really I don't think you need to worry too much. Hope your family is okay though.

The 20 or so other people who were caught in the bomb-blast were supporters at her rally. The reason why Bhutto is getting talked about more is because of her political status, and because the only reason those people were there in the first place was to support her.

Uzit: It is scary, but I wouldn't worry. Although, on the news, riots have broken out across areas of Pakistan. People are angry, and they seem to be taking it out more on authority, and not on civilians.

Domo: People have come out and openly declared that they think he was involved. Spokes people for many societies and so forth.

Terrible news and very sad. Bhutto should of never went back though unless she was prepared to face the charges or corruption. Her and family stole millions which people seem to forget. Also when she was in power the country was still very bad. there was still misery for the poor! Amnesty International accused her government of having one of the world's worst records of custodial deaths, extrajudicial killings and torture. Bhutto's premiership was also distinguished by epic levels of corruption. In 1995 Transparency International named Pakistan one of the three most corrupt countries in the world.

The US and UK wanted her back initially to make a deal with Musharraf AKA Busharruf to help him remain in power. the deal fell through though so Bhutto was a rival to Musharraf.

Pakistan needs a change of system and not a change of face. Pakistan was created to be an islamic state and that is what it should be. at the moment you have a state which is controlled by the elite feudal land owners who have no care for the poor.

nice discussion about pakistan here.

http://www.hizb.org.uk/hizb/who-is-ht/htb-national-events/video-pakistani-brigadier-osman-ret-&-jamal-harwood-discuss-the-assassination-of-benazir-bhutto.html

Well, her 19 year old son has been named her successor as party leader.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7164968.stm

Bilawal told journalists at the Bhutto family home: "My mother always said democracy is the best revenge."

LOL

What a joke. The PPP is not democracy, it is a dynasty!!

Bilawal Bhutto is well groomed to take up the banner of western democratic values so the west will love this.

LOL

What a joke. The PPP is not democracy, it is a dynasty!!

Bilawal Bhutto is well groomed to take up the banner of western democratic values so the west will love this.

Ah well, if it's politically good, good for them.

What exactly is bad with western democratic values?

Ah well, if it's politically good, good for them.

What exactly is bad with western democratic values?

They are good for people in the West as people like them and it is what the people want. Islam has its own values and I believe the muslim world wants Islam and not western democracy. Secular values associated with democratic systems brings with it a culture that conflicts with the Islamic values held by the vast majority of Pakistani Muslims.

Honestly the current system is Pakistan is a joke. Democracy in Pakistan is a disasterous one, it is ruled by corrupt feudal elites that exploit the poor and reward the rich, land owning and industrial classes. They have spread Sectarianism throughout Pakistan bringing nothing but misery to the vast majority of its citizens. When the PPP were in power they comprehensively failed to allieviate poverty or to develop civil institutions allowing ordinary people to benefit from the basic elements of justice and the rule of law.

I also have a problem with Bilawal Bhutto as he has no understanding of the problems that the average person in pakistan goes through everyday.

They are good for people in the West as people like them and it is what the people want. Islam has its own values and I believe the muslim world wants Islam and not western democracy. Secular values associated with democratic systems brings with it a culture that conflicts with the Islamic values held by the vast majority of Pakistani Muslims.

I disagree. I feel that those who dislike democracy are those who loose power under it.