Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate The Last TV Show You Saw (Spoiler Tags for Recent US Shows!)

Slaggis

Okay I've watched a fair amount of things since I finished my exams. :)

Battlestar Galatica Mini Series

Epic. vastly greater than even Daft hyped it up to be! :grin: Not what I was expecting at all. I cannot believe before I wasn't even considering watching it! :o

Paris Hilton's: My BFF: Episode 3, Sayonera.

Trashy, but what I love most about this show is the great lengths these people will go to to become her best friend. It is fun fluff! :) I like her stupidity.

My Name is Earl Season 4 episode 2

Hilarious, I think it is a very funny underated show, I like all the characters and the story this week was good.

Though last weeks had Earl singing eye of the tiger behind his Dad as he went up to punch the living day lights out of the man who slept with his wife!

I also randomly decided to watch:

Dr. Horrible

Brilliant. perhaps the sixth time I've watched this now and I'm still noticing new things! :) It gets better each time! The songs are ace and of course...

Neil Patrick Harris. :heart: My love for this man reminded me that

How I Met Your Mother - 3 Days of Snow

had been on so I watched the lastest episode. This brought happy tears to my eyes for some strange reason. I just loved the whole ending with Marshall and Lily and the marching band and of course BINGO! :awesome:

This then reminded me of how awesome Alyson Hannigan is so I decided to start watching...

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episodes 1 and 2

Good stuff. :D It has some great dialogue and Alyson is pure win in it! I was almost tempted to buy it yesterday!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

United states of Tara Season 1 Ep 1

New Showtime show, and it's bloody brilliant, watched the trailer for it, though what the hell, was pleasently surprised, it's about a normal american family, mum, dad, daughter, son, etc etc...thing is the mum has multiple personality disorder and "alts" appear whenever shes stressed, a funny show and i'll be watching it from now on

Trailer:

Watched even more Dexter season 2. Love it! I think i'm up to episode 10. So exciting and edge-of-seat stuff. Plus the emotions you get while watching are odd. You know Dexter is a murderer, you know he probably should be caught, but you dont want him to be. Run, Dex!

What the fanny?

I just found out that Prison Break used Llorando by Rebekah Del Rio in some season finale...literally a blatant rip from Mulholland Drive. Since she's hardly a famous artist.

Less fun already.

Hahahahaha, dude, what the hell?

There's no law saying that you can't use the same song twice. Teardrop (massive attack) was used as both the theme for House, and it was also used as a "collage" scene in the first series of Prison Break.

Watch Prison Break from the start, up until that scene with the song, and you'll understand why it was used. It's a great song, and it fits the scene so perfectly.

Hahahahaha, dude, what the hell?

There's no law saying that you can't use the same song twice. Teardrop (massive attack) was used as both the theme for House, and it was also used as a "collage" scene in the first series of Prison Break.

Watch Prison Break from the start, up until that scene with the song, and you'll understand why it was used. It's a great song, and it fits the scene so perfectly.

But the fact is, the song was used by David Lynch to literally devastating effect in Mulholand Drive, performed by a virtually unknown latin-american singer, and he used the demo she sang for him in a big old hall, as it was so perfect. I've never quite been as heartbroken by another scene in a film as I have by that scene where they're at Club Silencio in MD. (It's not used as a background song, the singer is in the film)

It just annoys me slightly. I mean, they use the version recorded for MD specifically, despite that actually being not just a song, but a scene in the film. Rebekah Del Rio has other versions of the song, but they used the demo from MD anyway..

[/fanboy]

But the fact is, the song was used by David Lynch to literally devastating effect in Mulholand Drive, performed by a virtually unknown latin-american singer, and he used the demo she sang for him in a big old hall, as it was so perfect. I've never quite been as heartbroken by another scene in a film as I have by that scene where they're at Club Silencio in MD. (It's not used as a background song, the singer is in the film)

It just annoys me slightly. I mean, they use the version recorded for MD specifically, despite that actually being not just a song, but a scene in the film. Rebekah Del Rio has other versions of the song, but they used the demo from MD anyway..

[/fanboy]

My reply: Watch Prison Break up until that point with the song, and you'll understand why it is so fitting. Heart-breaking is the word I'd use to describe that scene, too.

Anyway, you shouldn't not use a song (double negative there, oo) because it already appears somewhere else. You pick the best piece of background music, song, or something else to fit that particular scene. If they had scrapped the song and went with something by Slayer, would that have destroyed the impact of the scene from Prison Break. Ah, yes, Bob.

There's been numerous times through Prison Break where a particularly emotional scene has been accompanied by such fitting music. Again, I mention the Tear Drop scene from Series One. There have also been occassions where an artist called Alexi Murdoch (check him out, he's awesome) has been used for specific scenes - such as in Series One where Michael is about to be transported out of Fox River, and Series Two with the Fall of Haywire.

Would I change any of these songs? No. Because they fit. Think of each scene like a puzzle, where the setting, script, acting and music all represent pieces of the puzzle. It works in Mulholland Drive, and it works here.

Anyway, you're a bit late to the party. That song was used in the Series 3 finale, and we're now approaching the end of Series 4. :heh:

Edit With A Vengeance: If you're a fan of Rebekah, wouldn't it be a good thing to actually promote more of her songs in more films or tv shows?

My reply: Watch Prison Break up until that point with the song, and you'll understand why it is so fitting. Heart-breaking is the word I'd use to describe that scene, too.

Anyway, you shouldn't not use a song (double negative there, oo) because it already appears somewhere else. You pick the best piece of background music, song, or something else to fit that particular scene. If they had scrapped the song and went with something by Slayer, would that have destroyed the impact of the scene from Prison Break. Ah, yes, Bob.

There's been numerous times through Prison Break where a particularly emotional scene has been accompanied by such fitting music. Again, I mention the Tear Drop scene from Series One. There have also been occassions where an artist called Alexi Murdoch (check him out, he's awesome) has been used for specific scenes - such as in Series One where Michael is about to be transported out of Fox River, and Series Two with the Fall of Haywire.

Would I change any of these songs? No. Because they fit. Think of each scene like a puzzle, where the setting, script, acting and music all represent pieces of the puzzle. It works in Mulholland Drive, and it works here.

Edit With A Vengeance: If you're a fan of Rebekah, wouldn't it be a good thing to actually promote more of her songs in more films or tv shows?

I guess I just liked the fact that it's intrinsic to MD, and it just itches me that the exact same one is used normally (as background to a scene) eleewhere. But again, I probably wank over Mulholland Drive too much. *doesn't really believe that :wink: *

In some ways I agree that using a song to fit the scene is usually best, but if I were a tv show/film maker I wouldn' used Llorando in any context that mirrored MD's...I think I respect the power of that scene to much. But then I don' like rehashes and when songs become cliched. Teardrop is good, but overplayed/used, for example.

Also, I was more concerned with the song/power of the song than how much exposure Rebekah Del Rio is getting...she's in Southland Tales, as a singer performing a dark version of Sat-Spangled Banner. I prefer that, as the creators of that might have seen MD (both that and ST are very surreal films), noticed her, and her powerful, emotive voice, then included her in their film, in their own way.

I guess I just liked the fact that it's intrinsic to MD, and it just itches me that the exact same one is used normally (as background to a scene) eleewhere. But again, I probably wank over Mulholland Drive too much. *doesn't really believe that :wink: *

In some ways I agree that using a song to fit the scene is usually best, but if I were a tv show/film maker I wouldn' used Llorando in any context that mirrored MD's...I think I respect the power of that scene to much. But then I don' like rehashes and when songs become cliched. Teardrop is good, but overplayed/used, for example.

Also, I was more concerned with the song/power of the song than how much exposure Rebekah Del Rio is getting...she's in Southland Tales, as a singer performing a dark version of Sat-Spangled Banner. I prefer that, as the creators of that might have seen MD (both that and ST are very surreal films), noticed her, and her powerful, emotive voice, then included her in their film, in their own way.

Does it really matter what version of the song is used? It's still the same song, and it's probably the best version of that song. So, can they be blamed for using it?

Does the song lose any power because it is used in more than one place? Of course not. It's effective in Mulholland Drive, and it's also very effective in Prison Break. It doesn't lose any of its punch at all. Again, watch Prison Break from the start, up until that point. Just watching the scene by itself does not justify the impact it makes. Just like watching the scene where it is used in Mulholland Drive as a stand-alone scene doesn't say it all.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the song being used. It's probably my favourite Prison Break scene where this song is included, and I still re-watch that scene over and over, purely because it's such a fitting end to the series. That scene is just as much as "individual" as the scene that takes place in Mulholland Drive, and sure, they may both be highly emotional endings to the film/series, but they're different in their own way. Again, I'm gonna say it one more time, watch Prison Break from the start, to that point, and you'll appreciate the ending.

Right now, scrambled eggs beckons me, so I'll reply to any replies later.

Possibly. And if 3 series of Prison Brealk land in lap, I'll watch them. But I'm not gonna spend £80 of whatever atm. :p

Obviously It would be better if I'd seen it like you say. I guess I just dislike when things are used in a context that isn't AS simply utterly amazingly brilliant as it is in another context, but that more people will see.

I can't really talk that much though, having not seen the series.

(Also Llorando doesn't end MD, it is the pivot of the whole film, about 2/3'rds of the way in, which is partly why the Club Silencio scene is brilliant)

To be honest Paj, you really need to get over that song already. You'd be surprised how many people have seen mulholland drive, and how many people have heard the song. It works excellently in prison break; not the quietly mesmersising-turns-abruptly powerful as it is in MD but instead the building sadness that reflects the origins of the song better anyway; the strength of her singing voice isn't used in teh same way, and to that effect you should be proud of the diverse use of her song, for it reflects hwo far-reaching her sound really is. No?

Big Love - Empires

The show does have some random music at times, with Gwen Stefani and Santogold in the new episode (although nothing can beat the shocking but amusing use of Avril Lavigne's 'Girlfriend' in season two). Anyway nice change of direction at the end of the episode. Completely shocked about Sarah and I just feel so sorry for her. Considering she has three mothers and twelve (I believe) siblings you can tell she feels completely alone.

90210 "feature length" episode

I expected it to be utter shite, but I was pleasently suprised. I liked some of the characters, and hated others. Some interested story lines so far, and it's definitely a nice bit of escapism.

Also. "Omg! He has a jet! It's like pretty woman, but I'm not a whore". I love it.

The O.C.

Basically, I've been watching all 4 seasons. Got up to the start of the fourth season quite a bit before xmas and for some reason left it. So over the last few days, and finishing literally 15 minutes ago, I've completed the second watch through of the whole thing. Still love it. The ending to the show could have been done better and I feel they could have, and probably should have, elongated the 4th season as the earthquake changed things and would have been nice to see them changing even if it had only been for 2 or 3 episodes before jumping ahead the 6 months. The very end was great and a nice throwback to the beginning of the show and a showing of the maturity that Ryan had developed not just by himself but with the help of the Cohens. It was a sad moment seeing the show end in 2007 and it still is now and certainly holds a lot of meaning to me. Something that I'll probably always come back to to reminise about comparisons with my own life and because the show listed some fantastic music. Very greatful to it for giving me some of my favourite artists.

Random episode of Friends I hadn't ever seen in full, or at least not for ages.

8/10

I never even knew Winona Ryder had been in it! This is the one where she plays a college friend of Rachel's, who Rachel's claims she made out with whilst drunk.

I think a show that ended two years ago is fair game really...Plus it starts with "I've been watching all four seasons"

Scrubs - My ABC/My Cookie Pants

So Cox is the new chief of medicine. Not really a suprise. Elmo hitting on Denise/Jo was amusing. I wish I got free muffins for life.

Nip/Tuck - Roxy St James

That was horrific. Shame they killed off Olivia.

Glad Eden came back. The actor is wasted on 90210 :p

Okay I've watched a fair amount of things since I finished my exams. :)

Battlestar Galatica Mini Series

Epic. vastly greater than even Daft hyped it up to be! :grin: Not what I was expecting at all. I cannot believe before I wasn't even considering watching it! :o

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episodes 1 and 2

Good stuff. :D It has some great dialogue and Alyson is pure win in it! I was almost tempted to buy it yesterday!

I just watched Battlestar Galactica Mini Series too and it was great! I liked the strong character building and what you learn at the end of the second part was ace!! I've started the series now, 2 episodes in and looking forward to working my way through the series.

Ohh and Buffy, I've been wanting to re-watch these for a couple of years now but never seem to get chance to stick them on. I think I need to start on the 2nd or 3rd series maybe, the 1st I just feel like I can remember most episodes clearly.........on the 'when I've finished uni' list me thinks :yay:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!