Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

I must say I'm somewhat interested in the 3G version purely because the GPS functions apparently aren't tied to network usage. If Near and the like don't require me to pay a carrier for time then the idea of forking out for the more expensive model becomes a lot more attractive.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3G Vita is getting Vodafone as its preffered network of choice. You get a free Wipeout 2048 with Vodafone.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/11/21/vodafone-announced-as-preferred-partner-for-ps-vita-3g-connectivity/

I am sure other networks will find ways to rival that deal anyhow. Plus this may open us up to nice deals on the hardware in the long run.

Network options will vary from game to game, but what we’ve seen so far is the 3G connection being used for asynchronous multiplayer, downloading leaderboard and ghost data, Near, social features and more.

So essentially, the 3G is for turn-based multiplayer and leaderboards.

I think you can use it for anything but its rubbish for realtime multiplayer.

At my old place it was great for realtime multiplayer.

The way it was worded just made it sound like the developers select certain options for 3G. Although they've said they're making a blog post to explain the 3G features in more detail.

At my old place it was great for realtime multiplayer.

The way it was worded just made it sound like the developers select certain options for 3G. Although they've said they're making a blog post to explain the 3G features in more detail.

Yeah but surely the 3G reciever you owned would be better than the cheapest available one that they've bundled into the Vita?! I think they did say a while a go that it was purely for the network side of things like Near etc... and asynchronous multiplayer.

I think you can use it for anything but its rubbish for realtime multiplayer.

Are you speaking generally, or specifically about Vita?

Having opened a portable hotspot on a 3G enabled phone, I can tell you that - at least - Resident Evil Mercenaries on 3DS and Mario Kart Wii both play pretty well over 3G (Three network); yes, there is some lag but overall it remains playable.

If I recall correctly, when playing we ran a speedtest on the mobile and it clocked a ping of around 70ms with reasonable upload (0.5Mbps) and download (2Mbps). With a direct 3G connection (not a wireless hotspot) Vita should deliver near to those figures and that's comparable to many copper landlines.

And lets not disguise the fact that Vodaphone will have ponied up some cash to be a 'prefered' partner; with network quality and coverage barely being considered.

Admittedly, I wouldn't like to play a competitive FPS over 3G though.

Netcode for Vita games will be more demanding than any mobile game.

Mobile game? I was playing Uncharted 2. The connection there was faster than the best broadband for the area.

Although admittedly, where I am now the signal is awful.

Platinum-trophy.png

Madden NFL 12

My first platinum. :D

Gratzo. How easy was it ?

Are you speaking generally, or specifically about Vita?

Having opened a portable hotspot on a 3G enabled phone, I can tell you that - at least - Resident Evil Mercenaries on 3DS and Mario Kart Wii both play pretty well over 3G (Three network); yes, there is some lag but overall it remains playable.

If I recall correctly, when playing we ran a speedtest on the mobile and it clocked a ping of around 70ms with reasonable upload (0.5Mbps) and download (2Mbps). With a direct 3G connection (not a wireless hotspot) Vita should deliver near to those figures and that's comparable to many copper landlines.

And lets not disguise the fact that Vodaphone will have ponied up some cash to be a 'prefered' partner; with network quality and coverage barely being considered.

Admittedly, I wouldn't like to play a competitive FPS over 3G though.

70ms is terrible for me. Coincidentally thats still a full green connection on a COD game(100ms).

Technically there isnt a huge difference for 3G in the UK between networks. Three would be the best overall but its not like the US or some european countries.

Gratzo. How easy was it ?

70ms is terrible for me. Coincidentally thats still a full green connection on a COD game(100ms).

Technically there isnt a huge difference for 3G in the UK between networks. Three would be the best overall but its not like the US or some european countries.

Not too bad, a few were quite tough. It's a brilliant game and i love it, so i was happy to keep playing till i got them. :)

Which is better a HDMI Cable or a Component Cable?

Because whilst looking for PS3 Consoles I came across the 'K' Model PS3 on ShopTo (which I understand is the newset model?), which says you can only play Blu-Ray Movies on it using an HDMI Cable. If Component is better for gaming... that would mean having to switch!... unless I've got it wrong and you can't even play Blu-Ray games either unless you're using an HDMI cable.

An important thing to note, Retro_Link, is that the console won't come with an HDMI cable. It's not a huge issue as they only cost a pound or two — the 'premium' ones are a complete scam, it's pointless to pay more than a couple of quid — but worth mentioning as it's the sort of thing you'd expect to come in the box.

An important thing to note, Retro_Link, is that the console won't come with an HDMI cable. It's not a huge issue as they only cost a pound or two — the 'premium' ones are a complete scam, it's pointless to pay more than a couple of quid — but worth mentioning as it's the sort of thing you'd expect to come in the box.

The 360 also doesn't come with HD cables anymore.

So I've just ordered myself a PS3!! :D

Thanks to everyone in this thread and the 360 vs PS3 thread who helped me out!

I'll probably give it to myself at Christmas... and until Uni calms down it will mainly be used as a Blu-Ray player for now (can't wait until I get to a stage when I can start getting some games!)...

But what else do I now need to go about buying?

- HDMI Cable

- Sony Blu-Ray Remote

- Extra Controller... another wireless DS3 or a DS3 Sixaxis?... do I need a Sixaxis?

How do the PS3 controllers charge?

Do I need to buy a charging stand/dock... or just more rechargable batteries?

Anything else esential for setting up/getting started?

Cheers!

You can easily get by without a remote, seeing as the standard controller is wireless anyway. Not to say the former isn't decent, but I have one somewhere yet stick to using the controller as I'm comfortable using one and it's always on hand.

PS3 accessories have built-in batteries that charge via a mini USB cable. One should come with the console but it'll be relatively short at 4 feet; might be a consideration if you want to play whilst charging, although you can plug it into any suitable port, not just the PlayStation itself.

The SIXAXIS is obsolete, the DualShock 3 being its successor and better in every way. The latter still features the same motion sensing tech as the former, it just came out once Sony had settled the legal troubles they were having in regards to their rumble technology. If you don't have a pressing need for a second controller it might be worth waiting until they're on offer; it's not uncommon for them to crop up at £25-30 online.

Other than the above, you should prepare yourself for a lifetime of staring at progress bars. Also, bear in mind you can't change your PSN name once it's been created, so try to pick something you won't end up hating; you can always make a new one, but you'll lose access to saves, Trophies and the like.

Sixaxis is the old PS3 controller without rumble. Avoid it. The DS3 actually has better analogue sticks with increased sensitivity. Very noticeable on demanding games like Gran Turismo 5 and Wipeout.

Charging is simple compared to the other consoles. You should have a USB cable with the PS3. Thats all you need.