N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

Sony confirms 80GB PS3 for Europe

SCEE boss David Reeves has revealed that the 80GB PlayStation 3 SKU, which was confirmed for North America in the E3 Sony press conference on Tuesday, will arrive into Europe on August 27, although the video download service will not make it across the Atlantic.

Speaking at an informal reception for EMEA media in the Viceroy Hotel, Santa Monica, Reeves also gave pricing and release details for the forthcoming Platinum range of PS3 titles.

"Generally, everything that Jack Tretton laid out [in the Sony press conference], with only two exceptions, pertains exactly to the PAL markets," he said. "This is symptomatic of the fact that our company is getting more global, and more consistent - the exceptions are the video download service and some of the specifics of the PSP and PS2 promotions.

"PS3 80GB - we will introduce this in the PAL markets on August 27, it will be a simultaneous release. It will come in at EUR 399, GBP 299, and we will be doing promotional bundles from the middle of September to the end of December at various prices…the 80GB replaces the 40GB.

"We will launch Platinum for PS3 on August 1, so that's the same time frame as North America. The suggested retail price will be EUR 29.99 and GBP 19.99."

He went on to clarify that PlayStation Home will also launch into open beta on the same day and date this Autumn as the US market, and that the precise date would be revealed nearer the time.

He also confirmed that while the video download service wouldn't appear in Europe in 2008, announcements would be made later in the year, and that the corporation's chairman, Sir Howard Stringer, had committed to providing the non-games services in all territories over time.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

I upgraded my HDD anyway. 80GB still wouldn't have made me happy. *Strokes 320GB PS3*

Yeah I really should upgrade...how much did your 320GB cost. Is it really easy to do? I am so paranoid about losing my save data in the process or something...or breaking something.

Yeah I really should upgrade...how much did your 320GB cost. Is it really easy to do? I am so paranoid about losing my save data in the process or something...or breaking something.

I was looking at doing this too :) - Anyone any good links for decent priced HDD's?

Instructions:

Guest Jordan

The only real issue is backing up your data from the old HDD to the new one.

I have... 14 PSN games and i only have an 8GB Micro SD i could use.

Still, i don't see why the fuck they're dropping the card reader and other two USB ports. Surely that can't cost that much to add to the console?

Still, i don't see why the fuck they're dropping the card reader and other two USB ports. Surely that can't cost that much to add to the console?

I'd assume it's because the insides of the 40GB model were redesigned slightly to run cooler and use less power. I think it's safe to say that Sony will not be re-introducing backwards compatibility with PS2 games — although I wouldn't put a downloadable 'Classics' selection past them — so moving forward it makes sense to stick to the more efficient design that is also cheaper to produce.

I think that the 80GB will be the only type of PS3 on sale in a few months so as to ease customer confusion. The more PS3 games that are released the less backwards compatibility matters, so to my view Sony's decided to put it to bed once and for all and consolidate their hardware line up to a single SKU.

Having said that, no doubt they'll introduce another superfluous variant on the machine in early '09 just to mess everything up.

I was looking at doing this too :) - Anyone any good links for decent priced HDD's?

Instructions:

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/127009.shtml

good guide as well...

You can redownload PSN games...its only the save game data you have to back up.

You can buy a USB hub designed for the PS3 that adds the card reader back.

It's easy, except the screw are so easy to strip. Just take your time.

Buy an external, they are dirt cheap. I'm not bothered about the usb ports, but I would like one on the back so it doesn't looks so messy when I plug loads of crap it.

It's easy, except the screw are so easy to strip. Just take your time.

Buy an external, they are dirt cheap. I'm not bothered about the usb ports, but I would like one on the back so it doesn't looks so messy when I plug loads of crap it.

Yes agreed...looks so scruffy when have usb cables plugged in.

In the latest HotSpot podcast -from GameSpot- , numerous sources reported that "the level of realism as far as the graphics go in God of War 3" looks very close to the CG teaser. They actually said it is looking like Beowulf the movie.

Wow! I look forward to seeing it in action.

Some info regarding Leipzig

The second bits of information came from Sony. At the PAL specific press briefing David Reeves said that they had about 12 announcements to make at Leipzig, far more than what made its way out at E3.

Some print media were given a private preview screening of Heavy Rain at E3. The developers (Quantic Dream) were also present at the Sony briefing and while they weren’t able to talk about Heavy Rain at E3 outside of the private screening they did hint at more open access to information about the game at GC.

I really enjoyed E3 for the amount of games that were on show and the willingness of the developers to talk about their games. The GC’s last show in Leipzig however promises to be action packed.

Just played the Naruto demo for the PS3... Oh my god, the combat totally destroys the 360's Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, just feels so much more... well, awesome!

Shame the demo only shows the combat side of the game rather then the adventure mode, but this is definitely going to get a purchase from me!

Just played the Naruto demo for the PS3... Oh my god, the combat totally destroys the 360's Naruto: Rise of a Ninja, just feels so much more... well, awesome!

Shame the demo only shows the combat side of the game rather then the adventure mode, but this is definitely going to get a purchase from me!

Is there an adventure mode? Like free roaming?

I though it was just a fighting game.

I played the Naruto Demo too, just for the sake of it being playable, and little did I realise how awesome it was. I really don't know how I'll be able to afford all of these good games that are coming out.

Also, I saw some Tekken 6 demos on youtube and they also look kickass.

Man, Elefunk is such a maddening yet addictive game and dirt cheap to boot. I can't recommend it enough.

I'm on the Egyptian levels. They are actually a lot easier than the first lot since the Elephants roll fast so it doesn't matter if your bridge remains stable.

It's a shame there isn't a level editor but this is kind of like a pre-cursor to LBP.

I played the Naruto Demo too, just for the sake of it being playable, and little did I realise how awesome it was. I really don't know how I'll be able to afford all of these good games that are coming out.

Also, I saw some Tekken 6 demos on youtube and they also look kickass.

Yeah, I loved the Naruto demo, basically sold it to me. I just wished they did a Bleach game like it.

Dudes, need some help!

My cousin just got back from holiday to find that his PS3 had been stolen (only a couple of weeks old too :( ). He said he had registered it to sony (i dunno what that means, i presume it happens when you go online with the thing) but he was wondering if there was any way to possibly track it?

any help is appreciated.

I'll be getting this over the new 360 one..i think! : peace:

Afrika: Views Trailer

http://www.gamekyo.com/video12462_afrika-new-video.html

OK so it's mainly trees and rocks, and a river! but damn!! that's some good looking trees and rocks.... and a river!

and me want!

Good news for RPG fans

Koei plans to offer the extended and standalone FES edition of Persona 3 here on 17th October.

This adds around 30 hours of extra content to the acclaimed PS2 role-playing game. Expect a whole new chapter, more Personas, cut-scenes, quests, some sort of weapon creation tool, a hard difficulty mode and the ability option to change your clothes. How thoughtful.

Saved games from Persona 3 will work in the FES edition, but there's no requirement to finish the original story before you're allowed access to the new bits.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 came out earlier this year and was hailed as one of the finest RPGs on the PS2, of which there are about a million.