N-Europe

The Future of Final Fantasy Series

Hero-of-Time

Over at 1up they have done a feature on the FF games and where the series is headed. Its quite a good read and I agree with some of their points especially that the series should get back to just releasing 1 game per number, none of this 50 versions of XIII etc. To me it just makes the games less special.

Heres the article.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3164778

Hmm, I just skimmed it cos it wasn't that great an article. :heh:

The spin offs of Final Fantasy are a joke, I agree but I think that the way the Fabula Nova Crystalis of XIII seems to be more "officially" linked than other spin offs is kinda cool.

I'm not sure what direction Final Fantasy, or RPGs in general, are gonna take in future... a tough one to call actually. Do they keep getting bigger and bigger with more characters, towns, sidequests as well as mixing in other genres? Or do they somehow remain traditional?

Final Fantasy is a good series (of what i've played of it) and I really think they should get rid slapping "Final Fantasy" before the names of things so it can sell more.

They more games they make of it, as H-o-T mentioned, it makes it less special. Though saying that I still want Chrystal Chronicles :heh:

I've played some of the older FF games, so I can't comment too much.

But, from a non-FF fan's point of view, I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to this series. For a start, there doesn't appear to be much continuity between each game, meaning no order. Secondly, the multiple editions of 13, and 10-2 is really bluddy confusing. Why isn't 10-2 just called 11? Naturally, the game which is a sequel to three is four, so why make it so confusing?!

I think the series will end up alienating gamers unless they really shake it up. Don't even get me started on the whole FF6 is really FF3 in America or the other way around...AHHHH!

As a non-fan, and someone who tried to play it quite a few times, the series is pretty much dead isn't it? I mean, it feels like the same thing over and over again, rpg fans like it, but it isn't bringing new gamers in. With so many games out there they could at least put some continuity in the story, how awesome would it be to see a character from the last 4 games die?

But, from a non-FF fan's point of view, I wouldn't even know where to begin when it comes to this series. For a start, there doesn't appear to be much continuity between each game, meaning no order. Secondly, the multiple editions of 13, and 10-2 is really bluddy confusing. Why isn't 10-2 just called 11? Naturally, the game which is a sequel to three is four, so why make it so confusing?!

Its because X-2 was officially a sequel to X where as all the other FF games I-IX were individual stories that dont connect at all other than a few refrences like Cid, Chocobos, Mogs and Biggs and Wedge :)

I guess I'm the only one who likes the idea of what Square are doing with 13, just a shame they had to include mobile games. I'm a guy who loves Suikoden and part of Suikoden is that each game fits in a timeline on the same planet, which means extremely deep history and characters. This is what I'm hoping from 13!

What Final Fantasy needs is a style change more then anything else. Go back to the cyberpunk fantasy of FF7 and then try something new from there.

It does like they are doing that with XIII, don't you think?

I agree with Domstercool, what they seem to be doing to XIII is interesting. I love the Ivalice alliance and I hope the FFXIII games have an even stronger connection like Suikoden.

After the 20th do for number seven and the new PS3 version I think they should cool it down for a while. After a couple of years continue the series without shitty numbers and have some originality for themselves.

And how does numbers make the games unorginal? Unlike all other RPG series, the FF games feel like a complete different game each time.

Final Fantasy is a love/hate situation for me, while I love some of it (VII,IX) I hate other parts of it (VIII, X).

I think XII was a step in the right direction by scrapping turn-based battles but unfortunately I just didn't feel compelled to play it; the characters were uninteresting and the plot was far too dull.

XIII does look interesting though, and I do agree that the Kingdom Hearts storyline takes itself far too seriously and is very overcomplicated considering its target audience.