Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A group of Heath Ledger fans have taken their reverence for the late "The Dark Knight" star to a whole new level.

Heath Ledger fans launched a petition calling for studios to remove the Joker from future Batman movies.

Followers of the actor, who electrified audiences with his chilling reinvention of the Joker in the second Batman blockbuster, are calling for the character to be retired from the movies permanently.

Ledger supporters at new Web site, The Ultimate Joker, launched a petition last week calling for studios to remove the Joker from any future Batman movies. The petition currently has 2,431 supporters.

"We think Heath deserves this honor," the site's team leader, Fer Barbella, told CNN from Buenos Aires, Argentina. "He is the ultimate Joker.

"We are Batman fans from the comics and from the movies," he said, "After we saw 'The Dark Knight,' we thought this Joker was really the best. It deserves to be withdrawn from any Batman sequels.

"When Michael Jordan retired, they withdrew the number 23 jersey as an honor. It's the same thing with Heath."

Barbella said he thinks any new performance just won't be able to top Ledger's.

The Web site is the brainchild of Barbella, 34; Nico Pimentel, 33; and Natalia Rodoni, 33, all advertising creatives in Buenos Aires.

The trio say that if they collect enough names, they may go to the studio to present their petition.

"As soon as we start seeing that we have more than 50,000 names on our Web site, perhaps we will go to the Warner Brothers gate and do a bit of activism," Pimentel said.

The huge buzz around Ledger's performance as the Joker last year stemmed from his update of the iconic character played by camp comedian Cesar Romero and as a hateful clown by Jack Nicholson.

Ledger's Joker was a very different proposition from those that had come before: In a ripped, stained suit, with clown makeup smeared across a scarred, twisted mouth, his Joker was a nihilistic, sociopathic prankster. "Why so serious?" he sneered in a performance that received rave reviews from critics globally. Do you agree that Heath Ledger's Joker should be the last one ever?

The actor was found dead after overdosing on prescription drugs at his apartment in New York on January 22, 2008, shortly after concluding work on "The Dark Knight."

Ledger has been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of the Joker, having been awarded a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor and a BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor.

Barbella says that the Web site and petition are their award: "The Academy gives an Oscar," he said. "This is a new award from the people. A user-generated award."

I think that's rediculous on their part really.

Personally I wouldn't like The Joker to return in Nolans Batman [trilogy?].

But you can't retire the character from a future Batman movie series, because he's so important! and if that actor is better or worse than Heath then that's just the way it is! We'll still always have Nolans films and Heaths performance to look back on in awe!

Superman Rumour:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/953/953748p1.html

Wachowskis Re-booting Superman?

Matrix masterminds rumoured to be planning Man of Steel trilogy.

Are the Wachowski Brothers (famous of course for creating The Matrix) set to reboot the Superman franchise?

A scooper for Ain't it Cool News told the site that Wachowski collaborator John McTeigue (who worked second unit on The Matrix and helmed the Wachoswki-produced V For Vendetta) said the brothers had previously been intending to make a move based on DC's Plastic Man.

However, they claim studio Warner Bros. has put the project on hold indefinitely, which frees up the Wachowski's for a possible three-part re-imagining of Superman.

This would be facilitated, they claim, by the fact that Superman Returns helmer Bryan Singer is opting to helm the Logan's Run remake instead. This itself runs contrary to what we've previously heard, with Singer apparently exiting the project to be replaced with newcomer Joseph Kosinski.

AICN's tipster writes: "[The Wachowskis] are currently reviewing their options as its like being asked to take the final play in a Superbowl final. [McTeigue] says if they do agree, he will likely either succumb to providing second unit support on the movie or will champion the directorship of Plastic Man.

He went on: "The very thought of the brothers making a Superman movie is unbelievable as they have grown up in the world of comic books and they would be ideal for the project."

Obviously this is just a big fat rumour at this stage - all entirely unconfirmed by the studio, but would you pay to see Superman Wachowski-bros style?

Christopher Reeve was a fantastic icon as Superman, and Superman Returns wasn't actually a bad film at all. I quite liked it.

Superman is perhaps too "nice" and that is why he isn't seen as interesting as Batman. Batman has a darkside, and probably a bit more edge to him. He's a bit of a bastard really.

I think the problem with Superman is giving him someone decent to fight. I don't read the Superman comics but surely there is a badguy that can give him a run for his money? I mean in the movies there has only been Zod and his buddies which put up a fight and no Superman never fought with a solar powered freak because the 4th movie never happened. IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!

Nothing happened really. The aeroplane scene was the only thrilling scene, and I don't know how Lois Lane didn't die. Tried too hard to pay homage to the old films. Superman lifting a meteor of Kryptonite. Lex Luthor being shit.

I love Kal Penn and even he couldn't save the movie. Lex's cronies were ridiculous. Majority of the acting was boring. Next to no action. Not fun. Superman had a child. Supermans child killed people.

It was just hurrendous.

Brandon Routh was a great Superman though. Shame they didn't give him anything to do.

Someone who knows what they're talking about ; http://www.filmfodder.com/reviews/archives/2006/06/review_superman_returns.shtml

(bottom bit)

I recently bore witness to the abomination which is "Superman Returns". This film has no redeeming qualities. The cast were shit, the scripts were shit, the plot was, oh sorry there was no plot. The one liners were at an all time cheesy low. The CGI was crap. I laughed during the serious moments and cried during the funny ones. I thought God was punishing me. Hollywood? Is anyone there?? Please! Please!! PLEASE!!! Stop making films. Contract them out the "Department of Correctional Services"

I really liked Superman Returns. It's not an action movie but I think an action movie about Superman is a bad idea. I prefered the way it did things by taking a wider look at the psychological aspects of his impact on other people and his identity as an alien, not a hero. Good times.

I recently bore witness to the abomination which is "Superman Returns". This film has no redeeming qualities. The cast were shit, the scripts were shit, the plot was, oh sorry there was no plot. The one liners were at an all time cheesy low. The CGI was crap. I laughed during the serious moments and cried during the funny ones. I thought God was punishing me. Hollywood? Is anyone there?? Please! Please!! PLEASE!!! Stop making films. Contract them out the "Department of Correctional Services"

Those are terrible excuses and an overall badly written review.

I am potentially the only one who cares, but Disney and LEGO are teaming up for

Toy Story

Cars

and

Prince of Persia.

Its said to be for LEGO and Duplo, so I imagine POP will be LEGO and the other two Duplo, but hopefully they might be both. LEGO Toy Story sounds kinda cool.

As in Lego Pieces? or Lego games o0

Pieces I would LOVE Toy Story Lego.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!