N-Europe

80's Music

Pancake

I need some recommendations for 80's songs. I'm going through a bad time and 80's music is good therapy. It's good escapism since all those songs seem kind of other-worldly since the artists are all aged nowadays. Maybe i'm asking in the wrong place, all you student types on here probably listen to Keane and stuff. But if anyone DOES have a favourite 80's song (that isn't TOTALLY obvious, like say Rio by Duran Duran or something) then please post it and i'll check it out.

It's good escapism...

It's sorta on the same peg as '80s music, but I've always found chiptune (gameboy music and what-not) music always cheers me right up when I'm feeling down: harks back to old memories and rose-tinted summers. Alot of chiptune artists are really '80s in their style anywho, with their emphasis on melody and downbeats.

Check nullsleep's myspace and download his new album. Should cheer ya up! :smile:

Most stuff by Hall and Oats rocks my world. Also 70's, but there you go....

it depends on what you're tastes are. i love a lot of 80s song but depends on what you're into but going by what you have said.

out of touch by halls and oates has a good beat to it. or maneater which people seem to like

martika-- toy soldiers

Van halen-dreams(for obvious 'jump' is good)

toto-africa

men without hats--the safety dance(well i like it:))

human league-- dont you want me

kim wilde-- kids in america

That's a few not so obvious ones i think(although you should know don't you want me)

but i just don't know what you like

Are you TRYING to finish me off?

Nah, if he wanted to do that he'd have suggested Joy Division. :heh: Anyway, I find The Smiths is pretty good at cheering me up.

Right, 80's music ai. Hmmm, well I don't know how you feel about early hip-hop and electro, but I highly recommend it. You know, stuff like De La Soul and Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim, The Sugarhill Gang and The Furious Five, but also less well known stuff like Ultramagnetic MC's and JVC Force.

Or alternatively you could try some Talking Heads, B52's. There's also Big Country and Runrig if you want some 80's Scottish Rock.

it depends on what you're tastes are. i love a lot of 80s song but depends on what you're into but going by what you have said.

out of touch by halls and oates has a good beat to it. or maneater which people seem to like

I think their best track has to be 'She's Gone'. It might have been from '74, but it's utterly amazing stuff. Perfect world weary sing along material. That or 'Sara Smile'.

Man, seeing them live was like...the highpoint of my life.

if he wanted to do that he'd have suggested Joy Division.

I'd argue them as technically being a 70's band, with Curtis' suicide coming in, I think, 1980. All their material was written before then, and certainly came before the 'Miami Vice' Americanism associated with synth pop et al.

oh, and they're not that depressing. Only people who don't really listen to them say that with conviction.

You won't go far wrong with any of the 80's 'hair metal'/classic rock bands , that sort of stuff always cheers me up when times are tough (although it can send me on a little of a nostalgic downer too as the metal scene arguably hasn't been as much fun since those days).

Instead of individual songs , check out any music by the likes of :- AC/DC , Aerosmith , Brittny Fox , Cinderella , Def Leppard , Dokken ,Extreme, Kiss , LA Guns , Motley Crue, Mr Big , Poison , Queensryche , Scorpions , Skid Row , Skin, Tesla , Twisted Sister , Vixen , Warrant , WASP and Y&T.

Good time party music is bound to found amongst that lot (amongst many others).

Off the top of my head:

Dire Straits - Walk of Life

Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love

Queen - A King of Magic

Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

Blondie - Call Me

Journey - Any Way You Want It

Wow good taste. Like most of them(well except blondie to be honest)

Ok happy? has to be safety dance! I mean it even has the happiest video I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qW0Edq1KqI&mode=related&search=

also walk of life video is quite amusing. Basically sport mistakes over the years in american sports.

martika-- toy soldiers

Van halen-dreams(for obvious 'jump' is good)

toto-africa

men without hats--the safety dance(well i like it:))

human league-- dont you want me

kim wilde-- kids in america

That's a few not so obvious ones i think(although you should know don't you want me)

but i just don't know what you like

Toy Soldiers was in like 91, wasn't it? I just saw one of those countdown things on TV.. sure it was the 90's. Still a great song.

Anything by Siouxsie in the Banshees. They recorded in the 80's as well as the 70's. Might not be uplifting, but it's good!