Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I think you're right. Maybe not necessarily homophobia, but some aversion to homosexuality. Maybe because many still perceive it as "unnatural" and therefore "wrong". Sexuality still has strong taboos.

Completely, and that's why we need to take steps like this to start getting rid of that aversion. By gaining equality, and gaining the right to marry it should hopefully help people see there's nothing "wrong" about it. I mean, with the law saying gay couples don't deserve equality, it's no wonder homophobia is so rife in some parts of society. (The whole "Oh, but we've come along way" means balls, there's still a long way to go, obviously).

There is no valid reason why equality should not be gained, at all.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if she was raised to believe that, then fair enough in my opinion. Gay marriages don't particually bother me in the slightest, but i'm not 100% convinced that it's 'right'. I meen why is it 'right'? We've just been told to believe it's right by all the political correctness rubbish, these opinions should be expected.

What could possibly be wrong about people of the same sex getting married? All it does is give them the same rights and benefits as heterosexual married couples. Which in my opinion is only normal, seeing as they're people like everyone else. Now why shouldn't they be allowed the same rights as other people?

It actually still amazes me that there are so many civilised countries out there that still do not allow gay marriage to happen really.

Completely, and that's why we need to take steps like this to start getting rid of that aversion. By gaining equality, and gaining the right to marry it should hopefully help people see there's nothing "wrong" about it. I mean, with the law saying gay couples don't deserve equality, it's no wonder homophobia is so rife in some parts of society. (The whole "Oh, but we've come along way" means balls, there's still a long way to go, obviously).

There is no valid reason why equality should not be gained, at all.

I hate to say this, but I'm afraid we'll never be able to remove it completely. People have a natural tendency to fear what is different.

I don't think same sex couples should be allowed to raise children.

Howcome? I mean, in a way I see it as being no different than being brought up by a single mother, or father. You're only being brought up with the influence of one gender in a single parent family, so what's the difference if it's a gay couple?

Steps like what?

Aversion to homosexuality is never going to dissapear, certainly not in our life time!

Maybe a generation or two up the road things will be better, but it'll still exist.

Yes, but that aversion can still be lessened some what. I mean, if we do nothing to attempt to gain equality, then it's always going to be the same. When you say "It'll be better maybe a generation of two up the road"...that will be because of the fight that's happening at the moment.

Howcome? I mean, in a way I see it as being no different than being brought up by a single mother, or father. You're only being brought up with the influence of one gender in a single parent family, so what's the difference if it's a gay couple?

You're right, there's no difference. I also think that single parent situations should be avoided at all costs. It's a shame that so many people choose to seperate when there are children involved.

But in them cases the child can't be "removed". It's a situation that araises from a broken marriage.

You're right, there's no difference. I also think that single parent situations should be avoided at all costs. It's a shame that so many people choose to seperate when there are children involved.

But, who's to say that single parents cannot raise a child as well as two parents? The majority of my friends (Wow, I just realised that) were brought up in single parent families and ever since I can remember my fathers never been what I would call a "father figure", and we all turned out alright.

I think this constant impression that the traditonal family is what everyone would strive for is bullshit. A child needs to be brought up in a caring, loving and stable enviroment. Who's to say a single mother or a gay couple cannot supply that?

It would be worse to keep that child around a broken relationship, with arguing, stress, a loveless atmosphere etc...

Well if she was raised to believe that, then fair enough in my opinion. Gay marriages don't particually bother me in the slightest, but i'm not 100% convinced that it's 'right'. I meen why is it 'right'? We've just been told to believe it's right by all the political correctness rubbish, these opinions should be expected.

It's not "wrong". And it's not marriage anyway, isn't it civil partnership only atm?

To be honest, if I a gay person wanted to get married (in the christian sense), I think they should get over it. The church doesn't want them, how can they accept that?

Civil partnership is a better option for all involved, gays getting married (christian) just brings to mind the church ruling a little bit more. Like the two gay kinda being pathetic and thankful for the fat pastor "allowing" them to be married. GTFO

I don't really see how gay people can be religious anyway. At least not christian. Christianity negates homosexuality, but since one is a bunch of crap and made up, and one is actually who you are, the choice shouldn't be hard..surely?

But, who's to say that single parents cannot raise a child as well as two parents? The majority of my friends (Wow, I just realised that) were brought up in single parent families and ever since I can remember my fathers never been what I would call a "father figure", and we all turned out alright.

I think this constant impression that the traditonal family is what everyone would strive for is bullshit. A child needs to be brought up in a caring, loving and stable enviroment. Who's to say a single mother or a gay couple cannot supply that?

I'm not saying that a traditional family is what everything should be, or that same sex couples can't provide a loving and caring home for a child. A loving and caring environment is definately the most important thing for a child.

But at the same time it's not the only important thing for a child. I think that the child development, in line with some current research, is altered. I happen to think that the healthy development of the child within a loving and caring environment is extremely important.

I'm not concluded on this though. This is just going on research that is avaliable. And some even contradict this.

It would be worse to keep that child around a broken relationship, with arguing, stress, a loveless atmosphere etc...

My parents broke up so I do understand that, honest. But, I'm talking about couples sorting out issues, not simply staying together with problems.

Most couples who separate, even with children involved, don't seek professional help. It's as simple as that.

The problem is that everyone says, "But that's the same as this", "This is worse than that", etc, etc. There are no two situations that are comparable. It's all different. Making things more complex is the variety of outcomes within these situations, which is why different research have different conclusions.

Edited by Wesley

This is funny because you are told that marriage is the 'right' thing to do. It is in fact a social construct. There is nothing 'natural' about the idea of marriage. It originates from the commodification of women. Before that society was originally matrilineal since a child would almost definitely know who their mother was, as opposed to the father.

Political correctness? Not this time, I think you'll find.

There's A Storm Coming. (Parody of Anti-Gay Marriage advert). Stars Sarah Chalk, Lance Bass, Alicia Silverstone, George Takai etc.

"Soon. Gay people will start falling from the sky, onto our homes....onto our churches....and onto our families. This gay rain army won't stop!"

Alica Silverstones part had me in fits. "And I...am afraid. Becuase I have a fear of storms." (Totally off subject, where did she go? I've not seen her around in years, and I love her as an actress).

Edited by Slaggis

Bear in mind that 100 years ago, no not even that long ago - 60 years ago, in my grandmother's memory - most Americans thought black people were disgusting.

Times change.

Now everyone can read and write, why should we be enslaved by the flawed teachings of religion?

Bear in mind that 100 years ago, no not even that long ago - 60 years ago, in my grandmother's memory - most Americans thought black people were disgusting.

Times change.

Now everyone can read and write, why should we be enslaved by the flawed teachings of religion?

Exactly. I'm hoping that in 60-70 years time, we will look back and think just how unfair their (voting no on equality) behaviour was.

Edited by Slaggis

i liked ~ "THAT's what's up there... married gay people. and they're doing all this!" :grin:

i think this kind of humor is the only way to respond to the hardcore crazies.. there's really not much reasoning with them. especially when "god is on their side" u__u

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!