Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wikipedia reference-linkIronyis a literary or rhetorical device, in which there is an incongruity or discordance between what a speaker / writer /actor says or does, and what he or she means or what is generally understood.

[...]

There is some argument about what is or is not ironic, but all the different senses of irony revolve around the perceived notion of an incongruity between what is said and what is meant; or between an understanding of reality, or an expectation of a reality, and what actually happens.

The irony in this case is that while she just wrote a song entitled "The Best You Never Had", navarre actually feels she's the best [girlfriend] he never had (know how you feel by the way, mate, though not about her). The lyrics weren't directed at him, possibly not at anyone in particular, so the irony is in the fact that there actually is someone with whom the lyrics match.

I know, it's not the best example of irony, but it's there.

Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi's wedding

Really quite sweet. (and im suprised the WB still has a webpage for a show they cancelled about five years ago....)

Queer reading of Wall-E

Intersting, if not a bit forced. I'd agree, it could be seen as both robots being ungendered (for obvious reasons...how does a robot have a gender in the first place as they don't reproduce...). Although the author is really trying a bit too hard to make some points.

(and ive just seen the blog title. Hmm :/)

Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi's wedding

Really quite sweet. (and im suprised the WB still has a webpage for a show they cancelled about five years ago....)

Queer reading of Wall-E

Intersting, if not a bit forced. I'd agree, it could be seen as both robots being ungendered (for obvious reasons...how does a robot have a gender in the first place as they don't reproduce...). Although the author is really trying a bit too hard to make some points.

(and ive just seen the blog title. Hmm :/)

Those photos are really nice and the wedding looks perfect, not over the top and tacky like I've seen recently (both hetrosexual and gay relationsips) I also like how one woman is wearing a suit and the other a dress, very sweet!

The wall-e thing just seems abit odd, to consider a robot having gender, strange but interesting to see what other people see in films.

Well in Wall.E It's pretty clear from the voices and aesthetic choices that Wall.E is male and EVA is female. That and Eva is a girls name anyway.

I've not watched the film so I can't make a proper comment on it, it just seems abit strange to consider it, not to mention how much depth the guy goes into about it xD

Those photos are really nice and the wedding looks perfect, not over the top and tacky like I've seen recently (both hetrosexual and gay relationsips) I also like how one woman is wearing a suit and the other a dress, very sweet!

Suits (and similar to) is Ellen Degeneres' style anyway...but yes, lovely wedding.

Well in Wall.E It's pretty clear from the voices and aesthetic choices that Wall.E is male and EVA is female. That and Eva is a girls name anyway.

Yes but both names are derived from their jobs (Waste Allocation Load Lifter Earth-Class and Exterterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator) and the voices would have been generically programmed ones.

Ultimatly I think the idea is obviously when these robots were built they weren't built with a gender in mind (more a case of they had to provide them with voices so a mascuile or feminine one would have been chosen for presumably arbitary reasons) and thus audiences are welcome to interpret them as they wish.

I've been with both bad types and good types, whilst I like bad guy I always found that they feel that they can do whatever the heck they want and have their arses far up their own rectums. Nice guys are great but found them to get clingy very quickly.

I cannot win, I need a good looking nice guy who can relax and not need my attention all the time. (possibly with several tattoos and stretched ear, but thats being picky).

I've been with both bad types and good types, whilst I like bad guy I always found that they feel that they can do whatever the heck they want and have their arses far up their own rectums. Nice guys are great but found them to get clingy very quickly.

I cannot win, I need a good looking nice guy who can relax and not need my attention all the time. (possibly with several tattoos and stretched ear, but thats being picky).

Dan'll be so upset :p

And umm yeah. I think I'd prefer a nice person...I dunno. I rarely stick around that long. But I can imagine a 'bad' guy/girl would annoy me eventually.

So what you want is someone who is emotionally detached and dresses like an 80s Hollywood bastardo while simultaneously being a well adjusted, productive and mild mannered individual?

Quick note: Ash; that Eve and Wall-E's names are 'derived' from what their initials stand for is highly unlikely, isn't it? They most likely came up with the names and tried to squish some decent-sounding acronym from whatever they could.

RE: the spit/swallow issue. My ex used to run to the sink if there wasn't a glass of water next to the bed. Swallowing was only an option when the other's weren't. I didn't particularly care, though.