N-Europe

Game buys Gamestation

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jordan
No offence but I usally find Gamestation grotty and dirty while Game on the otherhand is always clean and very nice place to be in.

My Game is run by tools, on Wii Launch Day they refused to sell me something, which is technically against the law.

hahaha game focusing on customer service don't make me laugh! if customer service covers being rude and talking to customers like they are idiots then they are right yeah. glad gamestation seems to be keeping the general priniciples behind it...

see wouldn't have minded gamestop buying them, they are held in high regard in US by some and always seem to publish release dates early etc...plus Asda seems to have got better since walmart bought them out...

I feel like the gamestop thing rings a bell, like it was a rumour a while back. I'd have much rather'd they bought them too, a nice bit of healthy competition is definitely a good thing. I agree with the Asda thing too actually.

But don't EB stores still exist in America? Im sure when I went to New York last year there were a few EB stores around.

Apparently when UK EB first came about, they borrowed the name logo and branding from the already existing american company, paying them a royalty fee for its use(which they had to keep paying after the Game rebranding, until Jan 06, for some reason). I think they rebranded part in an attempt to get out from under their thumb, as apparently they filed a number of unsuccessful court appeals to try and get out of the royalty contract thingy.

GAME Group will be keeping the Gamestation brand alongside the GAME stores.

Source

GAME stores will focus on:

• Mainstream model, appealing to the “mass marketâ€

• Catering for all gaming

• Focused customer service

• Clear and simple store environment

Gamestation stores will keep their original remit:

• Strength in serving the core gamer

• Business model developed "by gamers for gamers"

• Strong pre-owned offering

• Tailored to appeal to the male games enthusiast

Interesting stuff. I did think earlier 'Wow, alot of gamers seem to hate Game with a passion! They're really missing out on their main demographic here!' given the number of highly negative responses towards Game in this thread. I didn't feel like gamestation had that though, so it's kind of good to see them aiming for the more hardcore gamer with gamestation stores. Thing is, it's still going to be run by Game, and no doubt they will somehow just cock it up too. I really do hate Game, the only reason I got my Wii from them is because I wanted it off the high street and knew that Game were most likely to deliver given their market share.

As for Fields's views of gamestation, I can honestly say that I don't agree with them at all and have found the staff there to be much more laid back there. They even get funny names on their reciepts, or at least they do in the Lewisham one.

This is going to be awful everybody knows how much Game suck, I only go in there if I need to, I don't go in there regularly just because prices are awful, game trade in is awful, I've always found Game is full of people almost middle aged who can be quite snobby where as gamestation the staff seem quite young and up for a chat about games and consoles far more useful than Game, it's going to be like when Game took over electronics boutique, electronics boutique wasn't too shabby either, now look at it. Now where I live it will be a choice of Game the main store, game the store in Allders or Debenhams one of them, or Game on the highstreet. Wonderful, so for those who have no credit/debit card it's a choice of crap, crap or crap. I know I can borrow my parents and pay them back but then you get all the hassle of "shouldn't you be saving that money?" "No, I should be spending it on fun stuff while saving"

Guest Stefkov
NOOOOO NO! NO NO NO FUCKING NOOOOo!!!!

This is fucking shit, as long as they don't change anything, and i mean ANYTHING. I love gamestation, way better than the game here anyway.

Exactly what I was shouting out loud. I am really dissapointed.

I blame Ashley.

So do I. That cumf. I say that, I, '[Girl's Name]' and the rest of us go attack.

My Game is run by tools, on Wii Launch Day they refused to sell me something, which is technically against the law.

All stores (and pubs, restaurants et al) reserve the right to refuse service to anyone technically. On my last day I may reserve the right to refuse service to whatever git annoys me but thats a moot point.

Arent there anti monopoly laws against this sort of thing? I used to love the occasional price war between game and gamestation. If it wasnt video games im sure people would be a having a fit about this sort of thing.

Oh and now I'm thinking to myself why hasn't the monoply commission stepped in and said no to Game.

They're not creating a monopoly. A monopoly would either have them somehow stopping Woolies, Argos, Tescos, Sainsburys and all the other places that sell games from doing so, or buying them all. They are not the only place to buy games from, thats a monopoly. If any company tries to have a monopoly (not in particular regard to games) its going to be Tescos at the rate they're going.

Im curious about this. I can imagine they will keep the GameStation name (as I think someone has confirmed). Its a business deal to get more money rather than to try and take over the world. As long as they perhaps apply some of their ideas (thinking more customer service. All the Gamestations I go into are awful. Gotta give it to Game, if the staff do as the training says they are hundreds of times better than the "Urgh. Pin. Receipt. Grmph." approach I've gotten from GS before) and leave it as is it should be alright.

But what do I care, im fucking off in a few months.

(Also; woo. We own those fat useless cumfs down the road :p)

;432493]

They're not creating a monopoly. A monopoly would either have them somehow stopping Woolies' date=' Argos, Tescos, Sainsburys and all the other places that sell games from doing so, or buying them all. They are not the only place to buy games from, thats a monopoly. If any company tries to have a monopoly (not in particular regard to games) its going to be Tescos at the rate they're going.

Im curious about this. I can imagine they will keep the GameStation name (as I think someone has confirmed). Its a business deal to get more money rather than to try and take over the world. As long as they perhaps apply some of their ideas (thinking more customer service. All the Gamestations I go into are awful. Gotta give it to Game, if the staff do as the training says they are hundreds of times better than the "Urgh. Pin. Receipt. Grmph." approach I've gotten from GS before) and leave it as is it should be alright.

But what do I care, im fucking off in a few months.

(Also; woo. We own those fat useless cumfs down the road :p)[/quote']

It is still gaining a monopoly though...

like you say Tesco are getting to monopoly like situation, acquiring sites just to stop others moving in etc... but if they were to acquire another supermarket company, there would be uproar about it...its the same principle just on a smaller scale. To be honest though if they keep gamestation the same then its fine by me, I couldn't care less...

I can understand you sticking up for your company, whether you hate your job or not, you still feel need to be loyal, I was the same in my nearly 5 years at WHSmith (thankfully got out of there despite being up for a management job) and year at HMV, hated them to the hilt yet would still defend them...

It is still gaining a monopoly though...

like you say Tesco are getting to monopoly like situation, acquiring sites just to stop others moving in etc... but if they were to acquire another supermarket company, there would be uproar about it...its the same principle just on a smaller scale. To be honest though if they keep gamestation the same then its fine by me, I couldn't care less...

I can understand you sticking up for your company, whether you hate your job or not, you still feel need to be loyal, I was the same in my nearly 5 years at WHSmith (thankfully got out of there despite being up for a management job) and year at HMV, hated them to the hilt yet would still defend them...

I wasn't trying to defend it persay (never know how you spell that. Shorty??) but often if people are having rants I try and throw in the other angle as its easy to just start moaning and not think of the bigger picture.

And "gaining a monopoly" is alas, not illegal. It will happen. I dunno why people are so shocked by this. I wouldn't be suprised if in a few years Tescos'll buy Woolies as they're going down the swannie. (swanny?)

Gamestation have been a joke for the past couple of years! They basically became the TK Maxx of games retail! Its not something thats really workable because prices are still cheaper online, the only way to run a high-street business nowadays is to offer a good shopping experience (which Gamestation didn't)

Good to see the brand is finally going to get the revamp it deserves :)

I've never been in a GameStation that sells new games cheaper than the RRP...so whats the fuss about the prices about?

true, the one in sheffield doesn't, neither does the one in harrogate....they do have better trade in prices though for those who are into that!

My Gamestation did, they competed with the local indie shop (and lost by the looks of it :p). Its the one bonus GS have over Game, I managed to get Guild Wars: Nightfall on the day of release for £22!

true, the one in sheffield doesn't, neither does the one in harrogate....they do have better trade in prices though for those who are into that!

I love the way you made trading in sound so dirty.

;432545"]I love the way you made trading in sound so dirty.

lol I didn't mean to! It's just because coming to the end of my student life, I've realised I'll soon have a full time job and the money to buy games without trading in and it makes me realise all the great games I've traded in whilst I've been at uni just to the latest games...so no more trading in for me...

Oh and now I'm thinking to myself why hasn't the monoply commission stepped in and said no to Game.

They haven't. You can buy games from all sorts of places now.

Anyway, I must have sounded pretty inconsiderate in the last post I made. Time to make amends.

tissuebox4c.gif

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!