N-Europe

Nintendo Point Out The Blatantly Obvious!

antster1983

On the Nintendo Europe site, published yesterday:

Perhaps you are not familiar with mod chips, but nevertheless we would like to draw your attention to some important information.

Modification microchips (mod chips) circumvent the security embedded into Nintendo's products. To install a mod chip into a Nintendo hardware system, it is necessary to dismantle the product and, in some instances, remove components.

The use of mod chips voids the manufacturer's warranty. In addition, the installation of a mod chip can damage the functionality of a Nintendo console, sometimes rendering it incapable of repair. Mod chips have been adjudicated to be illegal in various countries around the world, including the Unites States, the United Kingdom and Hong Kong. Most European countries have also already adopted laws prohibiting the circumvention of technological measures for copyright protection. People caught installing or selling mod chips may be subject to criminal charges.

Well duh! :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seriously considering getting my Wii modded. I'll be a poor student next year and I won't be able to afford games... Also, the chips seem to work great, are updateable and they apparently allow for online play and DVD playback.

Yeah, I'm bad.

i never knew the wii could be modded till i read this thread. well done nintendo! Normally they rant about global terrorism, personal danger and peodofiles in these cases.

edit: here it is but needs soldering and will probably be killed by a software update. Let it mature a bit and wait till america or japan gets an exclusive that I want

caja_wiinja.jpg

Apparently there's nothing Nintendo can do about it due to the position of the modchip in the system. The Wii can't registrate the modchip by itself somehow, therefore allowing firmware upgrades and online play. Also, the Wiinja is supposedly one of the worst chips available.

I'll let it develop some more and see what Mario Strikers will do to it, and wait until it can play NTSC games decently.

There must be some mod chips coming that they're worried about, and they may be intending to take action against them. This helps to ensure them against a 'i didnt know it was illegal' excuse methinks.

theres no such excuse. I think this warning is the start of nintendos global terrorism capaign against modders.

However... piracy and mod chips actually help a platform achieve dominance and market share. If nintendo make money of the hardware they are not going to be very upset. (though of course they will be a little) but there is a balance between %market share and %piracy. I bet they got a little model for it.

Apparently there's nothing Nintendo can do about it due to the position of the modchip in the system.

But then once again, there is nothing that modchip creators can do to make chip 100 percent compatible. The problem why many games don't boot is that they can't find their region's firmware and related drivers from the modded console.

I know selling of a modded console is prosecutable, but didn't know mod chip itself was illegal in the UK... I tried to install a mod chip in PS1 while back and soldering didnt go well. I'm just so crap at it, I never got it to work. The connectors are SO tiny, how the hell are you meant to solder them accurately!

I know selling of a modded console is prosecutable, but didn't know mod chip itself was illegal in the UK...

Using them to play pirate games is illegal, but I don't think it's illegal to use them just to play import games.

Some imports contain updates on them which CAN brick teh wii. Google Super Paper Mario Pal Brick or something, They also changed some of the boards round on the newer wiis, but you can still mod them, also if you are going to mod it you need to own at soildering because the points are tiny, also wiinja phails. get a cyclowiz or a wiikey.

i have done it for xbox / xbox360 / and now i brought my ps3 to the same person to flash it i've seen it by someone i know and it works great on the 360 and ps3 the reason i'm doing it is becouse the games on ps3 are not really worth buying , wii on the other hand im not going to mod it i am only buying some great games that will come out and are worth buying games like mario galaxy / smashbros / metroid 3 / disaster / pokemon / final fantasy / and maybe more but then nintendo has to bring out more games to keep me satisfied or else i'm changing my mind and just mod it

They've probably made people more aware of them now anyway.

I would get my Wii modded if the chips would allow every NTSC game to be played instead of only some.Also I don't want to solder them on my Wii(even though it's easy) just incase.

I will really think about it once there is a good chip out there,fed up waiting for games to be released here.

They've probably made people more aware of them now anyway.

I would get my Wii modded if the chips would allow every NTSC game to be played instead of only some.Also I don't want to solder them on my Wii(even though it's easy) just incase.

I will really think about it once there is a good chip out there,fed up waiting for games to be released here.

Who ever said it is easy was wrong. Or lucky, unless you know how to solder it is a pretty tricky thing to do, cyclowiz is pretty good considering you can update it via DVDand they an play 99% of games, (a few less jap ones) so its all gravy.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!