• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

without wishing to spark a debate (although I suspect that will fail). Guitar hero is literally nothing like playing the guitar, the only similarity really is that you have a controller shaped like a guitar.

I agree with Noodleman.

As an actual guitar player (And GHIII Hall Of Famer ;)), playing guitar is much more complicated than GH.

That explains why you had fun when you played with us. Unless you were faking it.

20070509.jpg

I had fun, for sure... but I'll never spend money on it. Much like pot. :heh: I never said the game was bad, I just don't really "get" why I should spend time playing it instead of playing a real guitar. It all just seems like a waste of time, unless you really do not intend to play real guitar, if that's the case, then I can perfectly understand the appeal.

Let's see, you play GH for the fun of it. If you play on a real guitar, not only will you also have fun, you'll be developing a usefull skill, hence, I don't get it.

Now... that DS GH, that looks like it could be interesting, though. :P

Anyway, Villain, I'm sorry, I think I imagined the word "Hero" there somewhere. :D

I think I understand why the High School Music 2 soundtrack sold so much during last year. It's not the fact it's enjoyable, it's just so goddman addictive, you NEED to hear it again after hearing it once to get your fix. I want to kill myself, yet I want to listen to "What time is it?" again.

*SCREAMS*

I feel dirty. Someone, slap me. Please.

I had fun, for sure... but I'll never spend money on it. Much like pot. :heh: I never said the game was bad, I just don't really "get" why I should spend time playing it instead of playing a real guitar. It all just seems like a waste of time, unless you really do not intend to play real guitar, if that's the case, then I can perfectly understand the appeal.

Let's see, you play GH for the fun of it. If you play on a real guitar, not only will you also have fun, you'll be developing a usefull skill, hence, I don't get it.

Now... that DS GH, that looks like it could be interesting, though. :P

foolCard.jpg

Dá um tiro.

Every single point you bring up is in that comic. It's completely retarded and idiotic to compare playing guitar hero to playing guitar.

Guitar Hero costs much less, doesn't take commitment, you can have fun faster, you don't to dedicate thousands upon thousands of hours to it (you can, but you don't need to) adn you can just have fun "playing" cool songs without having to learn for years. Again, everything in the comic. Doing one thing doesn't mean you can't do the other.

foolCard.jpg

Dá um tiro.

Every single point you bring up is in that comic. It's completely retarded and idiotic to compare playing guitar hero to playing guitar.

Guitar Hero costs much less, doesn't take commitment, you can have fun faster, you don't to dedicate thousands upon thousands of hours to it (you can, but you don't need to) adn you can just have fun "playing" cool songs without having to learn for years. Again, everything in the comic. Doing one thing doesn't mean you can't do the other.

What comic? :( I seriously have no idea what comic you're talking about.

Anyway, that's pretty much what I pointed out in the previous post... if you're not a guitar player, it's a great game.

HOWEVER... If you are a guitar player or intend to be one, it's the most useless game ever, because you're just wasting precious guitar practicing time. Unless you're having more fun playing GH than playing Guitar, in wich case you should consider quitting the Guitar.

Anyway, if you have both a Guitar and GH, I personally do not see the appeal in playing Guitar Hero... I mean:

Playing Guitar Hero = fun.

Playing Guitar = fun.

Playing Guitar Hero = rocking out to a great and grand list of tunes.

Playing Guitar = rocking out to anything you want.

Playing Guitar Hero = cool, but ultimately useless.

Playing Guitar = a usefull and lasting skill.

That's pretty much why I think playing guitar > playing guitar Hero. :yay:

And I don't agree about the fun being "faster", it's fun to play guitar even if you don't know how to play. It's like drums, you can just rock out some noise and have a great time being a lousy player. It's true that GH takes less commitment, but like I said, it's also fairly useless. And as for it costing much less, that's not true... GH costs around 80euros, you can get great acoustic guitars for 100 euros anywhere. Hell, mine is a fucking beast and it cost 125 euros with a 25% discount, and it's a pimped-up semi acoustic! Not to mention the fact that you can get one of those starter acoustic guitar for more or less 50 euros. They're not much, but hey, that's life! :heh: So yeah, GH is cheaper, but not that cheaper.

The with Guitar Hero thing is the same reason why I'm not excited at all about Wii Fit. Balance Board = great. The software itself = I don't get it.

Whats the point in playing tony hawks, FIFA, or any sim games, you can do lots of crap in real life that is still fun in video game form.

Nope. You can do the impossible in Tony Hawks. :heh: Half the tricks and stuff they do is completely off the hook, wich is precisely what gives it it's hook. As for FIFA, beats me why anyone would play it... I hate it. Much like I don't understand why people like watching soccer matches. Maybe it's just me, but deep down, you know there's no logicall explanation.

Anywho, most simulators allow you to do illegal stuff or impossible stuff, like driving reckelessly fast or so on. Guitar Hero simulates playing guitar. Wich anyone can do anywhere in the world. That's about all it does.

Yeah, my friend (well not really a friend, but a guy in my year - he has really uninteresting chat, so I would prefer not to be his friend) is like uber at Guitar Hero; he can beat all the stages on expert or whatever.

And then when you pass him a real guitar, he can't play for shit.

Realistically, just learn to play the real thing.

No.

I'll play GH and own at it instead.

Nope. You can do the impossible in Tony Hawks. :heh: Half the tricks and stuff they do is completely off the hook, wich is precisely what gives it it's hook. As for FIFA, beats me why anyone would play it... I hate it. Much like I don't understand why people like watching soccer matches. Maybe it's just me, but deep down, you know there's no logicall explanation.

Anywho, most simulators allow you to do illegal stuff or impossible stuff, like driving reckelessly fast or so on. Guitar Hero simulates playing guitar. Wich anyone can do anywhere in the world. That's about all it does.

Ok then, skate. I like skate, and I skate, fun times, there is very little in that game i cant do in real life and the only thing stopping me from doing it is that i am a pussy or i dont practice enough, GH is fun. End of discution, i dont want to play guitar, i want to hit coloured blocks in time to a song that is all.

Oxigen thats like saying; "why play CoD4 when you could go to Iraq and do it for reelz!" or more realistically "Why talk to someone on MSN when you could talk to them in real life?"

Not everyone will have 10 mates on call 24/7 for a game of football. But you can throw your Pro Evo/Fifa disc into your console whenever you like. You can watch football matches when your not playing. I don't understand how people can be so short sighted to say "why watch, just play!" Fact is you cant play whenever you like.

Yeah, GH is just a game. Nobody is trying to say they have musical talent because they're good at Guitar Hero, they're just saying they're good at Guitar Hero. They'd probably be fairly competent drummers, most gamers probably would be.

And on the topic of MSN, I feel its good. It elimnates the need to shout for my flatmates if I want them to come into my room to start watching "Twin Peaks".

Hey everyone have some free albums.

Light industrial rock (bad description)

http://soifall.net/SA/AFSB.zip

http://soifall.net/SA/AProjectCalledRed.zip

Electro Pop

http://soifall.net/SA/birdsflysouth.zip

electronic post rock:

http://soifall.net/SA/The Long Mouth Castle - Only Human EP.zip

http://soifall.net/SA/The Long Mouth Castle - Tiger and the Child.zip

A can definitely vouch for the awesomeness of A Project Called Red and AFSB (A Fuse Slowly Burning). I APCR was the only thing I listened to for a week when it was released.

EDIT: WTF at the argueing over wether to play guitar or GH. Lollers.

I'm on the whole "GH sucks, learn to play a real instrument" side too.

This is the fucking stupidest things I ever heard! Why the hell do they need to be compared? You can do both!! PLaying guitar hero is playing a video game, it doesn't need years of learning nor is it even comparable to playing a guitar. It's not supposed to! It's a game. A game! A game that gives you a little intsy bit feeling of being able to pull off a solo withtou having to train for years and buy a 4000$ guitar!

A game! I know guitarists that play GH, it's not an impedment!

LOUD NOISES!

GENERIC RAGE!

I'm on the whole "GH sucks, learn to play a real instrument" side too.

It doesn't suck. It's a great game. I just think it's useless if you have a real guitar lying around.

Ok then, skate. I like skate, and I skate, fun times, there is very little in that game i cant do in real life and the only thing stopping me from doing it is that i am a pussy or i dont practice enough, GH is fun. End of discution, i dont want to play guitar, i want to hit coloured blocks in time to a song that is all.

Yeah, that's really believable. Skating takes years of frustration and practice to perfect. Guitar playing is a much more gradual and acessible process.

Oxigen thats like saying; "why play CoD4 when you could go to Iraq and do it for reelz!" or more realistically "Why talk to someone on MSN when you could talk to them in real life?"

Not everyone will have 10 mates on call 24/7 for a game of football. But you can throw your Pro Evo/Fifa disc into your console whenever you like. You can watch football matches when your not playing. I don't understand how people can be so short sighted to say "why watch, just play!" Fact is you cant play whenever you like.

Gizmo, I like you and all, but that has got to be the dumbest thing I've heard since 2008 started. Did you really just compare a warfare situation, where there's a very high possibility you'll get killed, mangled or invalidated to playing an instrument? I think you just did! Gizmo... shame on you.

As for the whole MSN thing, my point still stands. All I said is that GH is stupid if you're planning on learning the guitar or happen to have one. If you don't have a guitar, GH is great. I said that a long while ago, you should learn to read.

Anyway, the MSN thing, that's completely different, that involves the availability of two people, plus the fact that the other persons life does not revolve around your own, unlike your guitar's existence, wich is totally devoted to your existence.

Yeah, GH is just a game. Nobody is trying to say they have musical talent because they're good at Guitar Hero, they're just saying they're good at Guitar Hero. They'd probably be fairly competent drummers, most gamers probably would be.

I know... all I'm saying is that, if you happen to be a guitar player, or happen to have a guitar, GH seems pretty damn useless to me. If you don't have one, I totally approve of it. I just think it's a waste of precious time, if you DO have a guitar, or rather, if you are interested in learning to play it and master it.

This is the fucking stupidest things I ever heard! Why the hell do they need to be compared? You can do both!! PLaying guitar hero is playing a video game, it doesn't need years of learning nor is it even comparable to playing a guitar. It's not supposed to! It's a game. A game! A game that gives you a little intsy bit feeling of being able to pull off a solo withtou having to train for years and buy a 4000$ guitar!

A game! I know guitarists that play GH, it's not an impedment!

LOUD NOISES!

GENERIC RAGE!

Yes, we agree there. I loved GH, and it's a great game. All I'm saying is... hell, I said it too many times already, but here it goes again... if you do have a guitar and are interested in being a good player, GH seems like a waste of money and time to me. Not to mention it's not really any funner than playing a real guitar.

Guitar Hero is a guitar playing simulator. But one that offers no advantages to playing a real one, other than a slightly cheaper approach. So, yeah... I'll say it for the last time... if you don't have a guitar, don't intend on having one, and have no desire to learn how to play one, GH is a fantastic purchase. If you do... it's a waste of money with no real justifications other than "why not?"... I don't buy the whole "it's more fun" thing, because it isn't.

Overall, what I'm saying is, I don't understand simulators who simulate things wich are easily accessible. Unless of course, you have no intention on doing the thing it simulates in the first place (wich raises the question "then why the fuck do you want something that simulates it in the first place???").

The perfect example for this would be Wii Fit... I just don't really get it. Why would you want to simulate push ups?? It's beyond me, seriously. And this is the kind of game that we'll be getting before North America. Hooray. (oh well, I won't rant about it until I try the final product, or else I'm just attacking a concept that could work)

This reminds me, time for a diet.

I'm learning to play guitar, and I bought GH3 on the Wii, but I didn't buy it for the intention of progressing my guitar skills.

I bought the game because it looked like a good laugh, and plus I'm quite into my music, both listening and playing, so this seemed like a no-brainer.

I'm glad I bought it, my housemates also love the game and we play it for hours and hours. It's a rhythm game, it's addictive and it makes you want to hit "retry" over and over. I'm with Hells of Fire on this one.

Lately I've been totally in love with the Queens of the Stone Age's new single - Make It Wit Chu

It's such a nice chilling out tune. Nice to see their talents aren't purely in stoner rock, but they can make these smooth blueses as well.

Yeah, that's really believable. Skating takes years of frustration and practice to perfect. Guitar playing is a much more gradual and acessible process.

Lawl, I've been skating 7 years. I dont see how it is particularly differnt, to be amazing at anything takes time and practice, its only more acsessable because you dont have to leave the house to do it. Which is irrelivant really.

But srsly, GH ftw. Playing real instruments also ftw, but i lack the time to do so.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!