Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Casual gamers - Am I the only one in n-europe/ the online community?

Amon

I have a lot great, well-polished and well-received games that I struggle to get through, like Tales of Symphonia. I see that games as a great game, however my lack of super hardcore skills prevents me from getting further in the game. I have poor button-smashing skills coupled with bad reflexes and maintaining a clear head during battles. Tales of Symphonia isn't the only game that demands too much from me, but the game is the first to pop up in my mind of games that are too hardcore for me.

Surely, I cannot be the only one, so why in the heavens name aren't there any good casual-gamer sites. In my search for one, I only got into one site and the site was focused solely on web-games (e.g. flash-games, etc) with very few games featured. I imagine it is caused by casual gamers are less interested in games and might be intimitated by the harsh use of words by hardcore gamers in forums like this. Is there any why to make things better for us with casual gamer-skills?

I have many more things on my mind, but I'll wait to reveal more of them later on, when I've received more of your input, thoughts and point of view, when I got more things to chew on. Happy posting, everyone!

If you want a really excellent site for 'casual' games, check out Jay is Games. It's a games blog, with many, many writers. They do regular reviews of online flash games, as well as download reviews. I have found loads of incredibly fun games and sites through Jay is Games, and it is really one of my favourite places on the web.

Is casual gamer just a nice term for shit gamer or something?

I don't mean that to be offensive to you, but when I look at a word like that, I assume it involves some sort of time constraint, but the first post just makes it look like it describes someone who isn't very good at their gaming.

(Either way, I'd suggest you consider a Wii)

Hmm... I'm not really a casual gamer- I either play games thoroughly or not at all. I mostly play RPGs, where a balance between story and difficulty is required- I found Tales of Symphonia to have a good story, but it was a bit too easy, and Dragon Quest VIII was about the right difficulty level for me, but the story was crap. I think some games overdo the difficulty a bit, such as Breath of Fire II (that, however, has a fairly good story). In my opinion, Golden Sun and Skies of Arcadia have about the right balance.

I don't suppose there really is an official definition for casual gamer. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what seperates the hardcore from the casual.

I think if you don't play games often/Are willing to ignore a game because of the system it's on/Are willing to dismiss a system, you're a casual gamer.

Is casual gamer just a nice term for shit gamer or something?

I don't mean that to be offensive to you, but when I look at a word like that, I assume it involves some sort of time constraint, but the first post just makes it look like it describes someone who isn't very good at their gaming.

(Either way, I'd suggest you consider a Wii)

Yeah, you two got me right and don't worry, Rummy. I'm not offended. However, I believe most casual gamers are put off by your kind of harsh remarks. That's what makes me believe casual gamers are put off using sites/forums like this as all sites seems to focused on joy that hardcore gamers want. I.e. hard, demanding games. I really want a Wii, but it is hard to come by. Most stores are sold out, immidiately after they get their shipment. That's sad. I also have over 300 games in my disposal. Only 10% of those games have I enjoyed and got through with. I do think 50% of them are good games, they're just to damn hard and demanding and give little or no incentive to push my gamer-skills.

It might be a puzzle, like the Jesus slidepuzzle in Largo Winch: Empire under attack for GC, that beats me. Or, it might be other things that stops further advancement, like trying to protect Ashley from RE4. Otherwise, I would too applaud the game as one of the best. But, I cannot. I just can't be a level-headed, clear mind when all those villagers attacks us (me as the one who contol Leon, Leon as the link between me and the game's world and Ashley who needs protection). Those kind of incidents kills my enjoyment of the game. It also demands that you save up on the ammo for the bosses. Those things makes it too hard for most people to play the game, I kid you not. Maybe, I'm just not competive enough to want to press on and see all that hardcore games wants their audience to see.

Hmm... I'm not really a casual gamer- I either play games thoroughly or not at all. I mostly play RPGs, where a balance between story and difficulty is required- I found Tales of Symphonia to have a good story, but it was a bit too easy, and Dragon Quest VIII was about the right difficulty level for me, but the story was crap. I think some games overdo the difficulty a bit, such as Breath of Fire II (that, however, has a fairly good story). In my opinion, Golden Sun and Skies of Arcadia have about the right balance.

Humm, I agree with some of the statements and disagree with some. I too, enjoy RPGs. They usually don't demand button-mashing skills or quick reflexes. I agree with you about Golden Sun (and if you want further challenges, that can be found in the underground dungeon in one of the villages in Contigo, I seem to recall) and to some degree with SoA.

However, there was one puzzle I couldn't solve, even with the guidance from gamefaqs. The one where you were supposed to gather three golden stuff, which would unlock a hidden island. I found the statue and the golden bird, but they didn't give much more clue, unfortunely.

Breath of Fire II isn't that hard if you don't mind getting help from gamefaqs. But, I stopped playing it after I got hold of other games, which kept me distracted from the game for a very good while. When I came back to it, I had forgotten what I had done so far in the game, and without no log to read through, I was pretty much left clueless. That game then demanded me to walk to every village to gather clues and that felt very dismotivating.

casual gamer is an insult

if you're a massive fuckin nerd.

For everyone else, it means *gasp* casual.

Haha, you hit the nail on it's head. Thanks for the humour and the truth.

I consider myself a casual gamer, I think. :)

I don't have any big skills in games and I avoid half of the game genre (mostly shooters, never play them). I actually don't play shooters mainly because they get me too nervous and I wouldn't be able to stay calm. And I hate the violence. =P

But yeah, I don't game hours a day; I'll already be happy if I can get one hour in each day, but even that doesn't happen all the time. I don't have that many games, but I do try to finish the games I have. Though I've noticed that if I get stuck in a game (like the Mario games), I will be less motivated to go back to them. I don't have any button mashing skills either, or good reflexes, so sometimes games can be a bit frustrating in places. Still though, I enjoy them usually. I guess you just have to find those games that appeal to you, which can sometimes be hard.

I've noticed that puzzle games are usually something I like and can actually be good at (Dr. Mario, Tetris, Meteos...). So if you know there's a game genre you like, try finding more games like that? Might be less frustrating.

I don't know about any sites though; I figure it's only the "hardcore" gamers who want to spend time writing about games, cause casual gamers just have other interests that they want to devote more time to? I don't know. ='3

What a strange subject this is. Ah well - I'l be honest, the only game I never finished was Super mario 64 - 5 just couldn't manage to kill bowser a third time. And let's not forget Donkey Kong. Now to think of it, about every 2D game I have wasn't finished by my hand. i'm truly crap at it. It all depends on your insight, but like some, people said here: we have lives too, but on the other haand, we're just damn good, too. It's all about how good you are at mapping controls in your mind and having the inishgt on areas - and orientation is important. My brother has zero to none orientation and gets lost in hyrule Field all the time - even with a map ('hard the read' - yeah right).

You don't seem like a casual gamer to me, you buy a lot of games, you come to an internet forum for people who play games.... Casual gamers for me are those who don't even read a game review or whatever, they just look at the score on the back of the box and pick up every FIFA release.

You don't seem like a casual gamer to me, you buy a lot of games, you come to an internet forum for people who play games.... Casual games for me are those who don't even read a game review or whatever, they just look at the score on the back of the box and pick up every FIFA release.

Very true. Now you've really pinned down the meaning of casual gamer for me.

You call yourself a casual gamer, yet you're playing Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, possibly the most hardcore game on the DS? Hmm...

Anyway, I don't think there's any shame in not being very good at certain games. And I don't think you have to have superhuman analogue control to be 'hardcore'. It all comes down to interest in the medium, not whether you can one-credit Ikaruga.

Perhaps you should just focus on playing more relaxed games? If you haven't already, go and play The Longest Journey and its sequel, Dreamfall. And that goes for everyone. Do it.

You'll probably want a FAQ on hand for TLF as some of its puzzles are rather obscure, but I think it would be just your cup of tea — there's nothing in the game a walkthrough can't help you with. Dreamfall isn't a point'n'click adventure, but it isn't action-packed either; there's some simple fighting, but it's rather rudimentary and not of much consequence.

As it happens, the games are made by fellow Norwegian Ragnar Tørnquist and his team at FunCom, so you're even supporting your country. Or something.

Guest Jordan

I fucking adore Dreamfall, i can't recommend it highly enough. Infact i had an orgasm when I heard they were making episodic sequels...

This kinda sounds like me, and I suck at games. Although I'm not sure if it's that I'm bad at games, or whether i'm just too lazy to put in the time to become good.

Or there will be times when I'm playing something and failing and be thinking 'God I'm crap', but then i'll watch people who are serious about gaming doing the exact same thing, the difference being when they fail, they carry on until it's done. I don't do that often enough.

I'm not sure whether I would consider myself a 'hardcore' gamer, I do talk about games a lot on here, and I do listen to Gamespot and 1UP, as well as owning both XBOX and Dreamcast versions of Shenmue II which is a nerdy thing to do, but I probably don't play through games enough to be hardcore. I'm kinda stuck in a middle ground between casual and hardcore.

You don't seem like a casual gamer to me, you buy a lot of games, you come to an internet forum for people who play games.... Casual gamers for me are those who don't even read a game review or whatever, they just look at the score on the back of the box and pick up every FIFA release.

Meh, you don't sound casual gamer-ish to me, perhaps just bad at games. :heh:

Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of other people around here that aren't your typical 'hardcore' gamer. I haven't even got a Wii yet, or 360, or even PS2 or X-Box for that matter.

It was probably bad phrasing from my side to call myself casual gamer. The point I tried to get across was that I have casual gamer-skills and those people usually have bad gamer-skills. Maybe I'm just an atypical hardcore gamer. But, what term should we come up with in my case? Amateur gamer? :D

You call yourself a casual gamer, yet you're playing Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, possibly the most hardcore game on the DS? Hmm...

As it happens, the games are made by fellow Norwegian Ragnar Tørnquist and his team at FunCom, so you're even supporting your country. Or something.

^-Edited (shortened) by Amon

Hm...I might actually pick up The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, if I am able to find a gamer laptop in a reasonable price. Also, the music from Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is a major driving point for me. It's so nice to follow instructions accompinated by beats and rhytm. Ready Steady Go and Over the Distance are my favourites, followed by Koi no Dance Site.

I must admit I enjoy reading about other people having the same experience I do. Keep'em coming. I don't feel so alone then. ;)

It might be a puzzle, like the Jesus slidepuzzle in Largo Winch: Empire under attack for GC, that beats me. Or, it might be other things that stops further advancement, like trying to protect Ashley from RE4. Otherwise, I would too applaud the game as one of the best. But, I cannot. I just can't be a level-headed, clear mind when all those villagers attacks us (me as the one who contol Leon, Leon as the link between me and the game's world and Ashley who needs protection). Those kind of incidents kills my enjoyment of the game. It also demands that you save up on the ammo for the bosses. Those things makes it too hard for most people to play the game, I kid you not. Maybe, I'm just not competive enough to want to press on and see all that hardcore games wants their audience to see.

:shock:Are you talking about the easiest difficulty still:wtf:

I think mcj metroid describes casual gamers the best.

There also seems to be an inbetween gamer now, something which I seem to relate to the XBox.

This thread reminds me of one I made a long time ago, in Wii discussion, I think.

Well, I think the term 'casual gamer' is used far too much these days. Perhaps, it may not even have a clear definition.

Let's ask this question: If a hardcore gamer is somebody who buys all three systems, who reads a million reviews and who visits forums and listens to podcasts, and if a casual gamer just buys 'The Latest Fifa' (as some put it), then what do you call a gamer who isn't any of these?

For example, I don't tend to read that many reviews these days, as I feel that they just taint your view on a game before you even buy it, and it doesn't allow you to truely make up your own mind. I only visit this forum, and in all honesty, I don't actually buy that many games. I haven't bought a DS game in a while, and my last Wii purchase was the recent ExciteTruck. I will probably just stick with my purchase on the Wii, as I don't have the time or money for a 360 or PS3.

So, what does that make me?

People use the words casual gamer like it's a curse. It's not. It just means you're laid back about it all, maybe you don't have enough money to purchase every system under the sun.

I think the term casual gamer refers to the 'dip and dab' approch. ie When people have some free time they might play on there console for half an hour at the weekend. Where-as there are more 'hardcore' gamers, who might play for hours. And theres all ways the day and night gamers, of which about 90% are clinically insane (no i didnt play crackdown until 3am, two nights in a row with caris (...ok maybe i did).