N-Europe

Banning of swords in the Uk

Chris the great

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've signed, my mate has a collection of Samurai swords

British polititions are the biggest, most pathetic ***** in all the world.

Too right. It's a fucking nanny state.

Thank you. That's the real issue here. People need knives to prepare food, baseball bats to play baseball etc. Swords are, by design, tools of violence. Whatever the realities of sword crime, I still find it very difficult to accept the fact that people can legally buy items that are designed to kill.

You are a fucking cock

saying that a sword serves no purpose puther then to kill is like saying a painting serves no point outher then too cover marks on the wall.

The fact is, swords are primerily ornamental, if i was threatened, as in if some one broke into my house, the only thing an ornamental swordwould be any good for is intimidation.

Say someone gets angry enough to use a sword to kill, thats pretty angry, Not many people would get that angry, the chances of a person who gets that angry owning a sword are tiny, if your angry enough to kill some one, only beign able to find a knife isnt going to stop you.

there is no just reason to ban swords, its stupid, guns arnt banned, you just need a licence. explain to me why its ok to own a gun, but not a sword. guns are eaiser to conceal, and you can shoot some one from a distance, and slip easily back into a crowd, you don't slip out of a sword killing with out some clues as to your involvement, such as being covered in blood, and a sword in your hand.

as for recriational uses of the sword, many people I know from sword groups use a swrod for cutting, bamboo, wood, outher materials. whos to say thats any less worthy a hobby then archery?

Guns, swords, knives... none of them kill people. People kill people. And as soon as you start running society and legislating for what a minority do then you've turned democracy on it's head and everyone gets punished for the actions of a few.

It's totally pathetic, and bizarre too. As under European Law, they are legal.

Guest Stefkov

Swords dont kill people....rappers do.

The sword I have is actually under my bed, only because I have no room in my ..room.

The worst damage I've ever done with it is stab my door. So now there are tiny indents in the door. Awesome.

The day you see me running around with this in my hand, that'll be the day that you say...I shouldnt have signed/I'm glad I didnt sign that petition.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4724/dscf0402vg4.jpg(2 foot 6")

But until then..why cant I own this? I live in a quiet little area.

What, for having a different opinion to you?

No, for being so pathetic that you'd ban anything that could cause others harm. The fact is, if someone wants to kill someone they'll do it, if there isn't a sword (most of which are blunted if they're used or purchased by collectors) they'll use a Kitchen Devil.

Why not ban computer games too? And alcohol. And cars.

Guns, swords, knives... none of them kill people. People kill people. And as soon as you start running society and legislating for what a minority do then you've turned democracy on it's head and everyone gets punished for the actions of a few.

It's totally pathetic, and bizarre too. As under European Law, they are legal.

Exactly, problems like these aren't going to be solved by banning swords, instead they should look at why the person was driven to kill someone in the first place and try find out whether they have some sort of psycological disorder. If someone is aggrivated and demented enough to kill, then lack of a sword isn't going to stop them. What Fields is basically trying to say is that the presence of a sword somehow induces a manic urge to kill in people, or so it seems.

What, for having a different opinion to you?

No because you're a tool. An incredibly annoying tool.

Guys, I don't expect you all to agree with each other. Far from it. What a really dull and boring and dull again place this would be if we all just agreed with each other.

Disagree all you will, but there's no need to act like arseholes to each other. Make hay, not war, man. Remember these words wisely, you'll remember them one day and think "fuck, the dude in red actually had a point."

About this whole sword banning business, I think I'm in two minds about it all. I know how people like to collect things, and I don't really have a problem with that. If it's for collection purposes, then excellent. As others have said, it's the person that is dangerous, not the weapon. I think more common sense is needed when the trading or selling of these swords takes place. How do you know the person you are selling it to is not a complete maniac and plans to use for purposes other than collection?

banning of swords? i dnt think that's going to go down well, because Sikhs (like me) are supposed to have one. I've got one in my room :)

You need to have a sword as part of sikhism? I thoguht it was just a double edge blade/knife or something along them lines?

I have 3 samurai swords myself so I cant really decide on my view on this.

In the one hand I like having my swords displayed in my room and have considered quite a few times getting some more swords but in the other if it helped bring down sword crimes and death in the UK I think it would be worth collectors losing out.

I dont think they should be banned as this nanny state thing is getting ridiculous. The law only stops law abiding citizens from access to these items. It wont necessarily stop murders getting swords. Besides if you had half a brain you could probably improvise some sort of sword with a piece of metal and an angle grinder.

Getting rid of swords won't save lives, if some one wants to kill some one, they will.

I'm fairly into swords and I can't recall many incidents in the news about swords being turned on innocent members of the public, what I've seen has been the use in gangs and drug related offences, and to be honest, I'd rather that swords were used in these cases then guns, its a lot less likely to end in some one in the wrong place at the wrong time dying.

I can see an argument for the banning, they are, after all, weapons. But so are rocks, look at early human combat (talking cavemen here) rocks would be thrown as missiles or used to beat some one round the head, later, they would be chipped into simple blades, axes and the such. granted, rocks are hardly standard issue in the army nowerdays, but nor are swords.

The way i see the law now, which is that you must be 17 to buy a sword, and that you cannot carry it in public is pretty good, perhaps a licence system could be brought in, but a total ban is insane. Bow and arrows are legal, crossbows are legal, axes are legal, crowbars are legal, hunting knives are legal, air rifles are legal, fireamrs are licenced. not one item in that list is any less dangerous then a sword, and how can it be reasonably claimed that any of them have a more worthy use then a sword? how many people in the uk use an axe to chop wood? not many, and arnt modern toold such as chainsaws more effective? a hunting knife is a usfull tool in the wild, but who honestly needs to go into the wild? a bow and arrow can be used to practice archery, is that any safer then some one using a blade for cutting?

The knife crime culture in the UK has gotten out of mcontrole, as a result, the politicians are trying to take an extreeme approach and ban all bladed weapons. Its just not justified, its like banning sea foods because some one chokes on a fish bone.