Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

"Wii is streaking ahead of the competition in the battle of the consoles"

Gizmo

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21022007/95/wii-makes-splash-market.html

The console, which was launched in November last year, has already won over a significant number of games fans, outselling both its rivals in January. According to figures from NPD Group, the Wii sold 436,000 machines in the US during the month, compared with 294,000 Xbox 360s.

For all Sony's bravado about the PS3's high spec and high definition Blu-ray

DVD drive, it seems that the console is failing to lure buyers. It sold only 244,000 during the month of January, and unlike the Wii, which sells out of stores almost as soon as it appears, the PS3 is widely available.

Good news for the Wii, though I think we all knew this already, it's good to see it made official!

Sony's word about the sales.

January 2007 was a record month for the PlayStation business with $550M in revenue for North America, this includes hardware and software for PS3, PS2 and PSP, as well as first and third party titles and peripherals. Although we still saw supply constraints at retail for PS3, we did sell a strong 243,554 according to NPD data. Tie ratios for PS3 have improved by 80% since launch and should continue to climb with the release of the much-anticipated MotorStorm from SCEA and Virtua Fighter 5 from Sega. PSP had a very good January, with hardware sales up 20% year over year, selling 210,719. PSP is closing the gap on the leading competitor, off just over 10% in total sales for the month. PSP software sales should see a boost as well this month, with the release of the critically-acclaimed Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters. PS2 hardware sales stood at 299,352 with an impressive increase in software sales year over year of 20%. One of the biggest games for the PS2 will be released this March in the blockbuster God of War 2. On the marketing front, with supply levels stabilizing, February will see the first appearance of PS3 in weekly retailer advertisements. BestBuy featured its first ad for the system on February 18. Target is slated to feature PS3 in its February 25th ad.

"We are pleased with the numbers from January as they demonstrate overall sales improvements for our legacy systems year over year and continued momentum for PS3. With supply levels stabilizing, you can expect to see increased marketing for PS3 and PS2 in weekly retail circulars, which should garner strong numbers, boosted by big software launches, such as MotorStormand Virtua Fighter 5. PSP sales in January were exceptionally strong with the system quickly closing the gap on the leading competitor. All of this led the PlayStation brand to the biggest January sales in the history of the company in North America."

Full US Jan Sales.

1. 360 LOST PLANET: EXTREME CONDITION 329k

2. PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR 224k

3. 360 GEARS OF WAR 212k

4. WII WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES 201k

5. WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS 189k

6. PS2 MADDEN NFL 07 156k

7. GCN LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS 144k

8. PS3 RESISTANCE: FALL OF MAN 144k

9. 360 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 135k

10. NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS 125k

Hardware

Wii 436k, 1.5mm

Playstation 2 299k, 37.4mm

Xbox 360 294k, 4.8mm

Playstation 3 244k, 937k

Nintendo DS 239k, 9.4mm

PSP 211k, 6.9mm

GBA 179k, 35.3mm

Gamecube 34k, 11.7mm

Xbox 0, 14.5mm

DSL didn't sell amazingly well, but when pokemon hits...BAM!

DS was sold out.

Isnt best-selling and successful the same thing?

Not really. There are lots of views to view a console as successful. If it has lots of great games, if it has your favourite games, if it makes money. For a company it's mostly the money part. Best selling doesn't mean profit, but since Wii already makes profit per console, if it keeps on being the best selling it will definetly be the most successful in a company's point of view. I just care about good games.

Wii will almost definately be the best selling console this generation. Whether it'll be the most successful console though is another matter...

You could argue that in order for the Wii to be the best selling console, it has to be the most successful.

Nintendo will almost certainly make a profit, so that's never in question. Whether it will finish in 1st place in terms of sales though, nothing is certain.

I'm not throwing a party yet... I need to see third party Wii games in those sales sheets, otherwise Nintendo will still loose support on that front.

Also the console is not consolidated, it has to keep it up till december 2007, fingers crossed.

3rd Parties: Xbox360 > Wii > PS3.

Funny gif.

money.gif

See? this is what I meant:

NPD: Third-Party Wii Sales Sluggish

Wario Ware and Zelda rock the house, but where are the third-party games?

February 21, 2007 - The NPD Group released its North American sales estimates for the month of January 2007, and the results were fairly positive across the board. The only notable Wii release last month was Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, which was unsurprisingly the number one selling game on the console, followed closely by Zelda. These games also snagged the number four and five slots on the overall sales charts.

More than anything, these results indicated the strong pull of first-party titles on Nintendo systems. In the Wii's third month on store shelves, the second best-selling game for the console, Twilight Princess, sold over twice as many units as the third best-selling title, Rayman Raving Rabbids. While initial sales of third-party games were pretty solid, they seem to have slowed down significantly in the following months.

This inclination for gamers to buy Nintendo systems primarily for Nintendo games is a trend that the company has been trying to buck with the Wii; even going so far as to court specific third-party publishers in order to secure more content. Even still, it remains painfully obvious that the biggest competitor for third-parties on Nintendo consoles is Nintendo itself. However, pessimistic armchair-analysts should note that the severe dearth of new Wii titles for the month of January may have played a major role in the recurrence of this trend. February's NPD results will be far more telling, as several big-name third-party titles will have been released during that time period.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766513p1.html

I really hope february sales say otherwise.

. . . . .PSP sales in January were exceptionally strong with the system quickly closing the gap on the leading competitor. . . . .

How does Sony work out that they're closing the gap on the leading competitor, by which I assume they mean the DS?

I'm not sure about European sales, but every Japanese and US sales charts I see show the DS selling far more than the PSP, so if anything the gap is widening.

How does Sony work out that they're closing the gap on the leading competitor, by which I assume they mean the DS?

I'm not sure about European sales, but every Japanese and US sales charts I see show the DS selling far more than the PSP, so if anything the gap is widening.

Yeah I'd agree, and based on my retail experiences over xmas the DS shitted all over the PSP, we sold out of DS's every time they came in but couldn't shift the hundreds of PSP we had...

Thing is... DS was actually out of stock in the first two January weeks in US.

The guy is just jumping into the conclusion he wants.