Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Where would you live.....

ipaul

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia was sweet when i went travelling there, America is ok for a while but i really couldn't stand their patriotism after a while, and plus i don't think i could live there for knowing what a terrible country it is politically.

Japan would be another choice, depending on if i spoke Japanese (not much point if you can't!).

I'm quite happy here in Bournemouth though. No-one longs to live here? Anyone? :p

Me neither. It's just another country.

That's a really stupid thing to say.... You can say it to some extent about places like Scotland, Wales and England which are really close together and in general pretty similar, but, to say it about two countries so far apart with such a different climate and culture is stupid........ :-/ I'm not talking about just Japan in this sence, it's any country...... Blah if you think all countries are so similar to wherever you live (I don't know) that it doesn't make a difference then you seriously need to get to travelling. lol

That's a really stupid thing to say.... You can say it to some extent about places like Scotland, Wales and England which are really close together and in general pretty similar, but, to say it about two countries so far apart with such a different climate and culture is stupid........ :-/ I'm not talking about just Japan in this sence, it's any country...... Blah if you think all countries are so similar to wherever you live (I don't know) that it doesn't make a difference then you seriously need to get to travelling. lol

I've been in a lot of countries, and after that cultural difference, you're life will be the same shit as in every other place.

I've been in a lot of countries, and after that cultural difference, you're life will be the same shit as in every other place.

You know, I said something incredibly similar to someone else the other day.

"If you act like a prick in one country, you'll act like a prick pretty much elsewhere, too." (or something to that effect. Apologies for the swearing, but its a direct quote, so tough :heh:)

I think your attitude is more important than where you live, to be honest. How you approach day to day life, such as the way you talk to people, the way you treat them, appreciating ones who become close to you. For me, that's more important than where you actually live. Things such as the deserts you eat, museums/temples you visit, as nice as they may be, they're pretty superficial. You can be happy without a desert, or without a specific shop or something.

Well, lets assume the shit you're talking about is hating your job or whatever... That's more to do with the job you are in needing to be changed not really the country..... If you have an attitude which is life sucks then you need to change your attitude..... If your problem is that you don't really like the country then you change the country. ;)

I think your attitude is more important than where you live, to be honest. How you approach day to day life, such as the way you talk to people, the way you treat them, appreciating ones who become close to you. For me, that's more important than where you actually live. Things such as the deserts you eat, museums/temples you visit, as nice as they may be, they're pretty superficial. You can be happy without a desert, or without a specific shop or something.

It depends what you like to get out of life..... The one thing I really miss is having something nice to do in my spare time.... This is something Japan gave me in my albeit short time there. I saw things that I could do on a weekly basis... If you find a country that offers you this then that's really where you should try to be. ;)

Ok, as you might have guessed I really don't understand this love for Japan, or even worse, the hate for your own country. Why is it that you (and many other) hate it so much?

I just find England very boring...... :-/ No point in blindly loving a place just because you were born there. :-/

I just find England very boring...... :-/ No point in blindly loving a place just because you were born there. :-/

And everyone is miserable, hospitals full of disease, lack of crazy neon signs and tall buildings.

Everything just sucks in England.

And everyone is miserable, hospitals full of disease, lack of crazy neon signs and tall buildings.

Everything just sucks in England.

Not exactly...... Not everyone is misserable and considering it's a hospital you would expect it to be filled with disease....... Tall buildings and neon signs are awesome though. lol Try walking around in a place like Tokyo for 3 weeks and then coming back to London..... It's a very strange feeling..... Everything is really dark and the skyline is so low it makes you feel kind of nervous (not sure if that's the right feeling).....

Not everything sucks in England....... I love football and my friends/familly are here......... Oh and the traffic lights are slightly less confusing. lol

To be honest i too would like to live in japan, i have done for a long time, england is a very good country and had i been born elsewhere i may have picked england, but i like change and england is getting a bit boring now, and japan jus has this idk hype, the country seems a lot better on the whole, i supose i would have to visit it first to make sure, the only prob would be a job...maybe i could jus have a holiday home there:P

Not exactly...... Not everyone is misserable and considering it's a hospital you would expect it to be filled with disease....... Tall buildings and neon signs are awesome though. lol Try walking around in a place like Tokyo for 3 weeks and then coming back to London..... It's a very strange feeling..... Everything is really dark and the skyline is so low it makes you feel kind of nervous (not sure if that's the right feeling).....

I was talking about the stuff in england... and hospitals being full of disease meant that the standard of care and cleanliness is rather below what it should be.

And everyone is miserable. I stand by that :indeed:

It depends where you live. Wherever you go, there's always going to be miserable people. I come from South Wales, and there's always been miserable people, but there's been happy people to more than balance that out.

At the moment, I'm in Brighton, and I think there's a lot more happy people here than at home. I'm at Uni, so I think its a bit of an unfair comparison to make as I only know about 2 people actually from Brighton, the rest are from other places. I'm studying with people from places in England like Hull, Kent, and then places which are not in the UK, such as areas in South Africa and North America.

Last year, I lived with one boy who was from South Wales (Cardiff to be exact, which is about 5 mins away from me), one girl from North Wales, a girl from France and a girl from Germany.

There was actually only one English bloke living with us! There's a lot of people in this country who moan about multiculturalism and how it's doing the country no good, but without it, I don't think I would have met some of the greatest people I ever have met.

There's a photo that someone took on a night out last year where we all went out. Its taken on a bus, I'll try and find it later. There's so many nationalities in just this one photo, there's English, Welsh, French, German, and some Spanish if I remember right. The French bloke who I was talking to said to me that this photo is like the spirit of Brighton, as none of us were actually from this place, but we all found each other here and made friends.

But yeah, Darkcloud, you posted earlier about there not being much in the UK. But, you have to admit, before you posted those pictures, how many of us knew that stuff existed in Japan? My point is, you won't know what is there unless you find it yourself or unless someone tells you so. There's still so many places I haven't been to in the UK, (including the whole of Scotland, which I would love to see) and I think that many people just take these places for granted.

There may not be many skyscrapers or neon signs, but if you like going out, there's plenty of places to go shopping or for a nightout. (only refering to Brighton now, as I can only really vouch for that) I've been here for like 18 months, and there's still many clubs or places I haven't been to yet. There's a nice little place called "the lanes" down here which is sorta like the backstreets, and there's many small shops down here. They sell basically anything and everything. Old music, antiques, snazzy clothing, retro stuff, everything. I definitely recommend you check it out if you love that sorta thing. I walked through the lanes at home, during Christmas when I got my Wii, and it was really quite something. There were lights up, and the place itself is quite beautiful.

992804-The_Lanes-Brighton.jpg- thats a quick shot of it that I found, using google, my trusted friend.

My girlfriend's quite into her history and she loves things like museums, there's a place down here called The Royal Pavilion. Here's some pics I found of it:

royal_pavilion_brighton.jpg

Royal_Pavilion2-422x298.jpg

This is right near where the highstreets are, so its quite something to walk past this, or to walk through this on the way to town. Lovely little area. There's a museum by it too with some history of the place, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I'm going to at one point.

There appears to be a story behind the Pavilion, but I can never remember it. If you search on google, I'm sure there'll be something about it.

I'm going to end my post here now, as its getting a bit long and I fear nobody will read it. :heh:

But, just some food for thought. London ain't the be all and end all of the UK.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!