N-Europe

Shame on you ubisoft

ultrajamie

Nintendos "reactive" stance on the console is to blame for the average games, not the third party developers. We won't be seeing any great games on Wii until at least the end of 2007 (great as in higher than 9/10 review scores where the game very original and utilises the potential of the Wii mote really enhancing the way we play games for the better, gamecube port that is Twilight Princess excluded).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry jamie, I like your posts normally, but I disagree completely with what you say. Red Steel is supposedly disppointing but by God did they try and even the bad reviews have said its fun and has moments of genius in it. Rayman has been getting really good reviews, don't know what you are on about there.

As for Far Cry and Splinter Cell being lazy ports, where do you get this idea from? I'm sorry i didn't know they were out? Sorry I didn't know they'd even had a review. Personally I've only read positive playtests on them both.

Fact is, the Wii looks stronger because of their games notweaker, and I applaud them for it.

I'm sorry jamie, I like your posts normally, but I disagree completely with what you say. Red Steel is supposedly disppointing but by God did they try and even the bad reviews have said its fun and has moments of genius in it. Rayman has been getting really good reviews, don't know what you are on about there.

As for Far Cry and Splinter Cell being lazy ports, where do you get this idea from? I'm sorry i didn't know they were out? Sorry I didn't know they'd even had a review. Personally I've only read positive playtests on them both.

Fact is, the Wii looks stronger because of their games notweaker, and I applaud them for it.

so you are happy with half-assed launch shovelware?

hardly the revolution we've been waiting for.

the only reason ubi has any of these titles bar rayman and red steel is that ubi spotted a cash cow.

if they had their eye on anything but your wallet, then they would have plowed that resource into making red steel the classic it could have been.

kill bill meets fps... this is not.

i can't get over how this company is screwing your wallets and you think they are doing you a favour... it's weird.

all i'm saying is that the shot gun approach to getting launch titles out has meant that the games have suffered....

they may not have hurt the wii's reputation. but the games are not living up to their potential either.

as a gamer, that seems a shame.

Christmas period. That is all.

Well, okay, it isn't. I agree it's a shame they pushed these titles out the door so quickly, but it was always going to happen. The fact of the matter is that their titles will sell, even the blatant cash-ins, and at least that should convince Ubi Soft to stick around long enough to roll out bigger titles — BG&E2, please!

Personally I'll be buying Rayman and Red Steel — although I admit the latter is partly out of morbid curiosity.

All the support is welcome, COD3 also has crappy graphics and it's said to be a good shooter, same could happen to farcry.

Red Steel... well they tried and I still think it's a 8.0 game despite some bad reviews, even then the reviews have been quite mixed, perfect game it is not, but we knew that beforehand. I still want it.

As for Raving Rabbids, I want that game :p

GT Pro... well it's a port of GT cube, I might buy it if I see it cheap, I actually considered importing it back in 2003.

The controls are actually very comfortable. The wheel attachment is great, and if it is ever sold alone – or if you can find GT Pro Series for the $19.99 price down the line – it is definitely worth a purchase.
Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746542p1.html

That's exactly my original idea.

What they should have done is use their resources on fewer games. It's a bit of a 'quanity over quality' approach with 7 launch titles and a total of 14 (!) games in development. Focusing on making Red Steel a killer-app would have been better.
They have diferent teams, so all the other games where developer by other company branches.

And GT Pro was actually done by MTO (the same one's that did GT Advance), just published through Ubisoft.

If your complaining about the graphics, blame Nintendo for providing Ubi with an underpowered machine and for decreeing that GC graphics are perfectly fine for the forseeable future.

If your complaining about the gameplay issues thats definately on Ubi for unnecessarily trying to pump out 7 games in the launch window

I see Ultra's point. Whats better? 1 AAA shooter or 2-3 mediocre shooters? Red Steel should have been delayed until it was perfected

Im with jamie a bit here. Ubisoft have dropped the ball slightly imo. They had loads of potential with these games and far cry espeically looks horrible. Red Steel is obviously flawed, Rayman looks great though.

On the other hand all of this support is awesome and while they didnt deliever as well as I hoped. They have really helped nintendo this launch. And I may even get red steel or another ubisoft game so yeh not as good as it could have been but Im very glad they tried.

Reggie took IGN's name saying that they were over critical.. it takes a day or two to get the control scheme but after that it's more fluid.

I agree with that. Platty has played this game, and he said that for the first few minutes or so, the game takes a bit of getting used to. When you're an hour or two in, it's great fun.

I do think people are being a bit harsh on this game.

i respect sll of your opinions.... i just don't agree with them. thats all. :D

ubisoft had a massive chance to do something amazing... and they talked a good talk. In the end though... only rabbids delivers on what was promised and most review have said it's good, but not amazing.

the rest of the games are bargain bin quality rubbish.

you are all acting as though you should be grateful that ubisoft even bothered to make some games for a nintendo format. get out of that gamecube mindset.

.. also lets do the maths.

wii = at least 2 X gamecube

which means:

wii game being average to fair for a GC game publisher put in half the effort

exactly...

and the wii is at least twice as fast in terms of cpu, has more video memory, and a massively upgraded graphics pipeline.

it's so lazy it beggars belief

I think you're confused...

These are LAUNCH games! The whole point of them is to let developers get used the controllers give them time to play around with them. Once developers have played around with the controls and we're about 1 year down the line, you'll start seeing developers care about the graphics side of things.

I think you're confused...

These are LAUNCH games! The whole point of them is to let developers get used the controllers give them time to play around with them. Once developers have played around with the controls and we're about 1 year down the line, you'll start seeing developers care about the graphics side of things.

Yes but who cares.All we want is good games.Maybe we should stop feeling sorry for the developer.Ubisoft want to be the second biggest publisher in the world.EA has already made the excellent wii version of madden.And thats a launch title is it not?Need for speed aint too shabby either.Certainly not as bad as the ubi racing games.

If they want that position they need to shape up.They complete suck ass at ds games and still havent created one decent one

maybe not try and milk the cash cow by having so many games and try and do more with what could obviously have been gems. do you really think a sub par far cry, or shite like gt pro are doing you any favours as a consumer?

That is Nintendo's fault. 3rd Party launch games havent exactly had oodles of time to go from drawing board to being on the shelves. The only alternative Ubisoft had was to push games back

Mediocre games or not....Ubisoft has bolstered up the number of Wii launch titles available, helped create much needed interest in the console and attempted to throw in a few ideas of how the Wii-mote could be used.

At least we are seeing something better than the PS3 launch (and the Xbox 360's launch thinking about it...).

so just because they are launch games we should just shut up and say... "oh never mind mr multi million dollar company... we don't mind that you developed these games quickly, on the cheap, and still charge us £40 for them, in fact were grateful you even bothered to make any games at all.... because you only do it to make me happy and not to make a profit for shareholders which is what you are in business for. No, we don;t mind at all that red steel has been in development for two and half years but you still made it shite."

how silly of me.... as a gamer i should EXPECT launch titles to be rubbish?

nonsense.

I don't get why Ubisoft are getting slated for giving things a go...

bascially if it wasn't for ubisoft we would have a very empty looking launch day...and ok some of them aren't the best, but when you look at the launch titles there would be alot less without them.

i don't blame them for the substandard titles, they've basically ported over what they can as quick as they can, and who can blame them? they are after all out to make money, whether we like it not. They've had what ever span of time with the development kits and have just thought what can we do in this time frame...

Whilst Red Steels problems are well documented, its not like they havn't tried, nthey have tried to incorporate the wiimote as best as they can, as they have with all their titles.

I'm just afraid this is what you have to put up with as an early buyer. just look at the 360 launch lineup:

Amped 3

Call Of Duty 2

FIFA 06: Road to World Cup

GUN

Kameo

Madden 06

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Perfect Dark Zero

King Kong

Project Gotham 3

Quake 4

Ridge Racer 6

Tiger Woods

Tony Hawks

now alot of these games were simply hi res versions/online versions of PS2 and Xbox games, (and even exclusives like, Kameo and PD 0 weren't originally 360 games, cube games infact!) and arguably out that collection there isnt one killer app, its all stuff we have seen before, atleast we have Zelda which is a killer app (if this wasn't at launch I would not be getting one yet I don't think)

I honestly don't think we are anywhere near getting the best out the Wii, in terms of getting a higher ratio of great games. I don't think we will till the PS2 is completely phased out and the Xbox is finally gone (it is pretty much, fewer shops giving it space) then we will stop getting Wiimakes of these games and instead be getting our own builds of them, cos at the moment with games like Far Cry it is obvious that this is in no way using the Wii's powers, or even specifically built for the Wii.

all am saying is i don;t think they really tried. and that people shouldn't give them a break, because at the end of the day all they have tried to do is make a fast buck, without putting in any effort.

redsteel you can forgive, because it really does seem like a noble effort... but far cry? come on... does it look like they's even really tried?