Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Lies. The first I learnt were part of 継続は力なり and 見ぬが花 :heh:
... I dont know these though :/ the second one says something about... umm... seeing a flower? (not seeing a flower?)

You're crazy Ashley, where'd you learn those? 継続は力なり literally means something like "continuation bestows strength" i.e. "perseverance makes you stronger" or "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." 見ぬが花 is more idiomatic and thus more fun, (very) literally meaning "not seeing is flowers," (note the verb is conjugated in an archaic form, which is common in crystallized idioms of any language) but slightly less literally "that which you don't see is the best" (が花 commonly having this kind of meaning). Hence you get the ultimate meaning "that which you may recieve is often better than what you already have," or to use a less wordy form wwwjdic gives the gloss "prospect is often better than possession." There are similar が花 based idioms, also using the archaic -ぬ negative verbal suffix, like the lovely 言わぬが花 - "some things are best left unsaid / silence is golden." (wwwjdic glosses again)

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to get onto the subject of anime again:

I've been watching Shikabane Hime in a sort of 'anime club' on another forum. I'm onto episode 4 and it's been only just above average so far. I can see it staying like that throughout, however. :blank:

I've also acquired a Clannad soundtrack. I'm not entirely sure if it's of the visual novel, the movie or the anime. I think it could be the visual novel. Unless it's the same music in all three. Is it?

It could be the game. This first piece I'm listening to wouldn't look out of place on a title screen.

Oh wait, this second track is definitely in the anime...

The third one isn't, however. It's another version of Mag Mell/Megumeru.

The fourth one definitely is in the anime.

Ah fuck it, I'm keeping it.

Ooh, Fuko's theme! Definitely keeping it now.

I'm so lost. I've got to learn at the very least the Hiragana.

What do you mean? I think they're pretty good, apart from the binding which made some text hard to read.

So I wasn't the only one to notice. There's text I definitely can't read unless I rip the book apart. But that's nitpicking, I think it's pretty well done. I didn't expect them to even follow the items as you get them in OOT (I only have the 1st volume).

[samuel L Jackson]English mother f****r! do you speak it?![/samuel L Jackson]

Havn't saw the latest episode of Toradora yet, might take a look at it now infact.

Don't you even dare to post any spoilers until I catch up. I'm on 16, and enjoying it a lot. What a rage explosion, I didn't expect it to escalate to that.

You're crazy Ashley, where'd you learn those? 継続は力なり literally means something like "continuation bestows strength" i.e. "perseverance makes you stronger" or "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." 見ぬが花 is more idiomatic and thus more fun, (very) literally meaning "not seeing is flowers," (note the verb is conjugated in an archaic form, which is common in crystallized idioms of any language) but slightly less literally "that which you don't see is the best" (が花 commonly having this kind of meaning). Hence you get the ultimate meaning "that which you may recieve is often better than what you already have," or to use a less wordy form wwwjdic gives the gloss "prospect is often better than possession." There are similar が花 based idioms, also using the archaic -ぬ negative verbal suffix, like the lovely 言わぬが花 - "some things are best left unsaid / silence is golden." (wwwjdic glosses again)

Here :heh:

My housemate wanted some Japanese writing to complement her other tattoos and she liked those best (and it works well because she has, amongst other things, flowers.

However in the process of practicing them (shamefully it took us two days before we thought to just copy and paste them ^_^) I came to know how to write them.

(also, does your brain know no limits?)

I'm so lost. I've got to learn at the very least the Hiragana.

I would suggest this. I've used it to review my hiragana and katakana knowledge. I've started on vocab building along with learning the kanji that goes with them. It's pretty good, it shows you stroke orders and has seiyuus reading the sentences. Only thing it doesn't do it supply paper for you to practise writing it.

Don't know if it's been said already but on the hagaren website there's a new short clip advertising FMA.

I don't remember seeing him in any of the other clips but a certain someone is still alive. Which could mean they might be remaking from the beginning?

Also Mustang is as awesome as ever.

Don't know if it's been said already but on the hagaren website there's a new short clip advertising FMA.

I don't remember seeing him in any of the other clips but a certain someone is still alive. Which could mean they might be remaking from the beginning?

Also Mustang is as awesome as ever.

A fair chunk of the anime at the beginning fairly closely follows the manga, so it may just carry on from the point where the two branched off.

Read Afro Samurai volume 1 today, really enjoyed it! Never seen the anime or read anything to do with this before so came at it with fresh eyes and will definately be getting volume 2 at some point!

Loved the way its in black and white with the only colour being red for blood :)

Don't fool yourself kids! Strike Witches tells the real classified story about WW2, only with 100% less pants.

So probably next Winter when a DVD is released and gets subbed...

Hmm, I don't know if we'll get to see it in 2009. We'll be lucky if that happens.

It took 7 painful months for the 1st movie to be released in DVD.

As Shadow said, at least the last 2 movies are scheduled to be released at the same time. Maybe I'll get to see the tetralogy during my life time then, even counting with the delays.

And Pantsu, is it just me or is the Evangelion clock a little bit on the huge size?

Don't fool yourself kids! Strike Witches tells the real classified story about WW2, only with 100% less pants.

Of course. A perfect reproduction of WW2. If I remember there are pants in the anime. Just, they're a lot, lot shorter.

And Pantsu, is it just me or is the Evangelion clock a little bit on the huge size?

What do you mean? It's not that big at all.

I'll upload a pic of my ipod when the internet decides to work good enough for me to upload a picture.

Clannad 20 wasn't even that sad, but still made me feel upset. Nice episode though. The characters look so old now (Ushio excluded of course), which is a good thing. The next episode is entitled:

End of the World. Make of that what you will. The rest of the show will be a hell of a ride.

And schedules have now confirmed that as with the last season, 22 is the last real episode, with 23 as a bonus. Although there may not be a DVD episode 24 this time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Hinata can't be dead! I know alot of people hated her but I quite liked her character and for to finally admit her feelings and then get killed would just be heart breaking.

:red:

So, Naruto has unleashed the SIX tailed fox, looks pretty B.A! Surely the whole village is in trouble now unless he has learned to control the thing.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!