N-Europe

I watch anime dubbed aswell, mainly because I find watching subtitles just a bit of a chore and that means I watch the shows less. Plus I do watch a lot of anime while im on the computer so its hard to read and use the net at the same time.

It really does annoy me though when I get anime fans complaining that I watch dubbed more than subs when it really has no impact on their own enjoyment and it obviously doesnt bother me.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch anime dubbed aswell, mainly because I find watching subtitles just a bit of a chore and that means I watch the shows less. Plus I do watch a lot of anime while im on the computer so its hard to read and use the net at the same time.

It really does annoy me though when I get anime fans complaining that I watch dubbed more than subs when it really has no impact on their own enjoyment and it obviously doesnt bother me.

It's just because it's useless, pointless and overall an experience-ruiner.

Also, the underlined part only makes sense if you're a noob reader.

I don't think reading the subs in an anime takes away from the comedy. You just have to pay attention to the voices. Kyon especially has a seriously funny voice, he's snappy when people are senseless, and has a very sarcastic tone. That comes across perfectly, even if you can't understand the Japanese.

I understand Villans point. But after watching subs, i just cannot bear the dubs.

Is it difficult to get a hold of up to date episodes which are dubbed? I mean naruto and bleach are subbed in a matter of maybe 12 hours from release, but i imagine it takes longer to dub them?

I think they've only managed to dub the first 50 eps of Bleach.

I don't think reading the subs in an anime takes away from the comedy. You just have to pay attention to the voices. Kyon especially has a seriously funny voice, he's snappy when people are senseless, and has a very sarcastic tone. That comes across perfectly, even if you can't understand the Japanese.

Kyon does have that sort of voice in the dubbed version. To be honest, though, I haven't watched subbed Haruhi, purely because I feel as though I put myself off it a bit by watching it subbed. Although I am tempted to see what "God Knows" is like in Japanese. Because it's proper ace in the dubbed.

Another reason for watching dubbed is that Anime Central only show dubbed. Last year, though, they did show the subbed versions of two different shows. (I've never seen subbed FMA or Bleach either.)

Well when im using the net I can still hear them talking and glance over easily enough but if im having to read the subs I have to keep my full attention on them

Quoted for truth.

Meta_Omega already pointed it out. So you don't like reading subtitles because you watch the show less...

Im getting a bit confused here. I dont watch anime with subtitles that much because it means I have to give it my full attention and because im on the computer so much that means I dont have the time to watch them. But if I watch dubbed then I can watch both.

Of course, this doesn't stop some shows being great. On that note, who's watching CLANNAD at the moment? I love the humour in it.

I think we're the only ones.

I was really surprised by the last episode actually, the gym closet scene of course. Out of the last Key stories KyoAni did this was the only one that didn't have sex was Clannad and yet this is the closest an anime adaption has got to one. O_o

When Okazaki started undressing I was thinking "ah here he goes again he's going to play a prank pretending to be serious to lighten the mood" but then nope, he really was going for it. Nice surprise.

I think we're the only ones.

I was really surprised by the last episode actually, the gym closet scene of course. Out of the last Key stories KyoAni did this was the only one that didn't have sex was Clannad and yet this is the closest an anime adaption has got to one. O_o

When Okazaki started undressing I was thinking "ah here he goes again he's going to play a prank pretending to be serious to lighten the mood" but then nope, he really was going for it. Nice surprise.

I don't quite get Okazaki... he seems too selfless. But yeah, that scene is a bit crazy, and sort of contrasts with this.

Hmm, a planetarian anime might be nice... but I think it works best as a visual novel. And if they managed it well, then it might just make a few people die of crying.

Interesting note: the more Japanese I learn, the less I like anime. I think this is because I'm able to see how cliched some of the lines are.

Of course, this doesn't stop some shows being great. On that note, who's watching CLANNAD at the moment? I love the humour in it.

I am :grin:

It is an excellent Anime i watch it every week :D I hadn't watched episodes 16 and 17 but i caught up today. :awesome:

I dunno. At the moment I have two ideas for papers;

the role of good and evil (and/or playing god) in Death Note. Or;

the influence of Japanese anime within western society

(second one is kinda a rough name at the moment, but you get the gist)

I'm sure theres more out there for the second. Although our library does have this book which will be useful for either.

....or....;

The discovery of self in Ghost in the Shell (or a better name....)

And does anyone know if this is any good or just plain lame? May get it from the marketplace for cheap.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!