N-Europe

Miyamoto spills some more beans....

triforcemario

At the Neogaf forums, a member called Johnnyram has been nice enough to post and translate an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto done by Nintendo Dream:

Nindori: 10 years of Famicom and Super Famicom. 10 years of N64 and GC. And now another ten years is starting with Wii?

Miyamoto: Yes, we're starting from here.

N: Looking at the titles you've announced so far, it already seems like you'll be releasing games at a faster pace than the N64 and GC.

M: That's because the machine is based on GC. Dev tools are of course being upgraded, but GC code will basically run as is. Because of that, I'm also thinking I can remake some of my GC games for Wii, making use of the Wiimote.

N: So you think games will experience a rebirth thanks to the Wiimote...

M: Yes. Of course you can wander into a second hand shop and buy a lot of these games still, so I don't think we can release these Wiimakes at full price. Since a lot of the development cost has already been accounted for, we'll be able to release these at a much more affordable price. And if others also take advantage of this and release Wiimakes, there's a high possibility of a lot of software from third parties also.

N: So, there's a possibility of Nintendo doing this?

M: Yes, I strongly believe there is. For this reason, the next Zelda will be released for both Wii and GC simultaneously. It's quite an interesting experiment.

N: Ah, I see.

M: Also, when we were working on it, some of the staff were saying "Since the Wii has more power than the GC, let's polish the graphics up a bit too", but Zelda's fans aren't expecting polish, they're expecting a fun and exciting game, so I said it is better if we make it fun both on Wii and GC. And recently it's been established that "Wii is not a machine that tries to deliver next-gen graphics". Of course, since there are still games that demand high quality graphics, there will be separate paths of development depending on the software.

It appears that Nintendo will be remaking GC games for the Nintendo Wii... I could easily see games like Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin and perhaps The two Rouge Squadron games and Starfox Assault?

Interview link: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115439

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like the idea, sorry!

I don't think i would buy a upgraded GC game with added Wii controls whatever the price.

I've actually played my GC games to death now, so i really doubt i would consider buying them again!

Unless they add ALOT of new stuff to each game, it's a no from me.

I forgot to add that the wii-makes (as Miyamoto said) would be at a bargain bin price, and would be polished up.

no, you said that. :)

I just want more original games, and not remakes of games i've played to death.

.....ohh i don't know.id like to see some remakes of n64 games or some games that i havent played in a long time with improved graphics.

Id kill for an updated goldeneye but it probably will never happen

Marionette: Moved to Wii. Still in development?

what the hell is marionette?

as metroid said the idea of a wiimake of some older n64 games sounds good (since i missed out on that whole machine!), but personally i wouldn't buy GCN wiimakes, at least i don't think so. after all, the GBA remakes on DS with touch screen features bolted on never appealed.

It's an interesting idea, but i don't see whyt don't just put the money into making Wii-sequals of GC games, sure Luigis Mansion (for example) would be awesome with Wii Controls, but wouldn't it make more sense to make a Luigis Mansion 2?

I see RE4 was mentioned above, sure that would be GREAT with Wii controls BUT wouldn't RE5 or a new Wii exclusive RE game be better (perferably both)

I don't like the idea, sorry!

I don't think i would buy a upgraded GC game with added Wii controls whatever the price.

I've actually played my GC games to death now, so i really doubt i would consider buying them again!

Unless they add ALOT of new stuff to each game, it's a no from me.

so you are not planning on buying zelda then?

I don't really see problem with upgraging GC games for Wii and releasing them as budget titles. Of course, we* wouldn't buy them, but for newbies that skipped whole GC that would be godsend. Plus some great GC games have been OOP for so long time that it is very hard to find them as new.

* GC users, that is

so you are not planning on buying zelda then?

tp is not a remake of a gamecube game!

if thats what u were talking about

this would be a good idea if the wii really sells!There are so many gamers that never experienced the joys of mant gamecube classics it isn't funny

I love the idea of budget GC titles. I only got a few GC games because I can't afford 40 quid a pop. Imagine the Wind Waker with Wii controls, sailing might actually be fun with the Wiimote! Sword swings and combos, they can only make it better. I wonder if, with Zelda Twilight Princess nearing finished, they'll make that the collector's edition bonus disc...

I think it's a nice idea as long as they don't abuse it, every one remembers those long months of suffering with out games in this generation, so if they fill them with extended remakes from the GameCube and N64, and at a lower price it's a win-win situation.

surely ninty could make a downloadable patch to add wii capability to Gamecube games.

Personally, i wouldnt bother. But there are going to be a lot of people new to nintendo and this make some $$$.

In terms of polish, I doubt there will be anything too significant. Zelda Ocrina on time was polished well on the GC remake. I just dont think the wii is going to have much more power to add much to the already highly polished gamecube games.

Remake Doshin and Mario Tennis though!