NEurope
Helmsly

Sonic And The Secret Rings

So this is a 3D sonic game on rails?

Yes.

You turn the Wiimote onto its side (as you would for games like Tony Hawks Downhill Jam and Virtual Console NES games).

Tilting the wiimote left and right will enable Sonic to move in those directions.

http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=sonicrings&id=hp_news&lid=gp_sonicrings&lpos=hp_news

That was posted on the other page.

Brilliant - It looks great.

The speed is looking fantastic. When it comes to recreating that old Sonic feel, I think this game is going to be the closest we're going to get...for a looong, long time.

Well, it has promise, potential, so now we just have to hope and pray that Sega really don't bugger this up.

To me, it seems like they're truely trying to make the first 'traditional' Sonic title, but in 3D.

What I mean is, they're not trying to adapt the series to make it playable through 3D. Think about the old Super Mario games. 2D platform game. Not that much different to Sonic games at all.

However, when it came to 3D, the series itself changed. Instead of making your way from one side of the level to the other, in one direction, you could change which way you walked, etc. I believe they tried to achieve this with the Sonic series, but one thing held it back.

The Speed. Sonic has always been about the speed. Compare the old Sonic and Mario games together, and Sonic runs like lightning. It isn't easy to try and recreate that 2D feeling in 3D. Camera troubles come into play.

I think we were given too much control over Sonic. Lets face it, in the classic Sonic games, we didn't give a crap about exploring, we just wanted to get from point A to point B as fast as we could. Multiple routes were also possible, however, but the pace of the game is slowed down the moment sonic stops to look around at his whereabouts.

With this game, its sorta like you're watching the old 2D games but through a 3D perspective. Difference is, you can now move left or right. IMO, THIS is the way to get the perfect Sonic experience. We don't need to explore, we don't really need weapons, or even a story. It's about the speed. Pure adreneline.

You truely are a god amongst men!

This is exactly how I feel about the game and for me it is right up there with Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros as one of my most wanted! (but then I did enjoy Adventure 1 and 2 so I am easily pleased :heh:)

A proper 3D Sonic game that retains its speed is possible. Games like Adventure 2, with its light dash and homing attack mechanics, vaguely hint at this [...context sensitive actions are the key to a breakneck 3D Sonic game]. But the developers have been extraordinarily sloppy and continually failed to deliver anything truly worthwhile. I don't expect this new game to be any different, even though I do hope it is.

The series needs a new development house before it needs demeaning gameplay quirks.

Yea, the Sonic/Shadow sections in Adventure 2 were pretty good. Linear, fast and fun. The rest of the game ruined it.

Yea, the Sonic/Shadow sections in Adventure 2 were pretty good. Linear, fast and fun. The rest of the game ruined it.

agreed although they could have mad the tails eggman missions a bit more fun.The treasure hunt ones were just silly.

Sonic games shouln't focus on story which i think they kind off do.

i think they are aiming at the wrong market too.Most of the people who buyy sonic games played it in the day.So we are old and want more of the challenge.Mario games are an example of this.they can still appeal to small kids but focus on the older teenagers.and not in the shadow the hedgehog way

I was going to Get Sonic for the 360, played it once and work and thought no.

Im definately going to play this before i make a decision. I dont trust sonic team anymore. Even though i loved SA2. What i want is Sonic Knuckles and tails to be playable, nobody else, and i want them to be able to do their traditional traits in the levels, eg Knuckles can climb walls, tails can fly and sonic is just fast, all of these used in the generic sonic speed levels with cool themes.

I would hope that you can choose to play a level as a certain character and you have a high score and fastest time online leaderboard for each character. There should be alternate paths in the level, some which can only be accessed by playing the level as a different character for instance.

If they tick all those boxes, im sold.

Well we shall know if Sega thinks this game is crap when the make sure that no websites or magazines get the game for review untill the game is on the shelfs.. like they did with Shadow the Hedgehog.

Yeah, I really think this game has potential I just hope sega don't mess it up. I loved Sonic Adventure 2, despite people only liking the sonic/shadow parts.

Oh and btw cube_game your sig totally destroys mine :sad:

Might be about speed and getting to the end. But the originals never forced you to go forward all the time. It was nice getting to go back and exploring those secret areas and missing boxes that you suddenly got a glance at. I really can see the forcefulness of making you run forward hurt the game.

Sonic/Shadow levels in SA2 are the closest to old style Sonic yet. It was linear yet you had control, it was fast and pure adrenaline rush. This is what Sonic Team need to do, make a whole game with just Sonic. None of this other character slowing down the game, or changing the gameplay.

March will be a good month. Excite Truck and Sonic!

I FEEL THE NEED THE NEED FOR SPEED!

March will be a good month. Excite Truck and Sonic!

I FEEL THE NEED THE NEED FOR SPEED!

Isn't Excitetruck out in Feb?

Yea is it not Feb the 16th for Excitetruck?

Also least we have a date,though I was hoping it would be nearer the start of March but ah well.

I'm happy :)

Whats the best 3D sonic game of all time thus far? Wasn't there one on DC that was quite decent? & if so whatever the best 3D sonic game of all time is, anyone here reckon it is capable of surpassing and setting a new benchmark for 3D sonic games?

The fan favourite 3d Sonic is "Sonic Adventure", which was on Dreamcast and had ports to Gamecube and PC. The reality however is that the game was full of flaws that have still to be completely fixed in 3d Sonic until this day. Secret Rings isn't so much a 3d Sonic title however as it is a 3d on rails game, there's a drastic difference in gameplay and this title may be possibly be higher quality overall than the other attempts at 3d Sonic, but it isn't going to be a "platformer" so to speak.

Having played SA1 and 2 on Cube, I was so disappointed. Sonic's levels were just what the series was about - speed, twists, loops etc. Then, some "genius" added abysmal Knuckles and Tails levels.

My personal favourite is Sonic Adventure 2, although it doesn't beat 1 by much! Since this is purely Sonic I think there's a very good chance it could best both those games!

Wasn't sure about this game but I just watched that trailer that was posted on the other page and it looks really good. I agree with what Flinky said, hopefully this game will recreate what we felt when playing the 2D Sonics. Pure speed and adrenaline.