N-Europe

The R-E insomniac thread

Fierce_LiNk

I pretty much always go to sleep about 2-3 am and wake up about 10-11am. I do suffer from acutal insomnia every now and then. During my first year at university I got 10 hours sleep max in the space of 9 days. I was walking around in a daze most of the time. My flatmates where actualy geniunly concerned that I was off my face on Heroin, because aparantly thats what I looked like.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be up till at least 3am on most nights just cuz my mind kept thinking things really fast and I couldnt sleep with it. So I stayed on the internet, watched DVDs and all sorts of crap until my body just shut down. Now Im here its lights out at 22:30 and call the hands at 05:45 though I usually wake up earlier and sleep and later than 10:30. It aint good for me either way but the set up I had at home was more fun. If you have the entertainment insomnia is great.

Talking of bad habit, my old college had a huge summer break of nearly 4 months and I got so addicted to the old EverQuest, you won't believe how bad it was.

And somehow that game allowed me to stay awake for (average) about 35 hours a session. Looking back I still can't believe it. Now I can barely manage 24 and I get too sleepy and give in.

Guest Ford Prefect
Talking of bad habit, my old college had a huge summer break of nearly 4 months and I got so addicted to the old EverQuest, you won't believe how bad it was.

And somehow that game allowed me to stay awake for (average) about 35 hours a session. Looking back I still can't believe it. Now I can barely manage 24 and I get too sleepy and give in.

hehe, reminds me of the time i did 27 hours straight on KOTOR on the xbox.

i can still do some long stints, tho not sure if whether it hurts more now than before. it was certainly shitty the other week when due to circumstances both within and out of my control, i got fuck all sleep and did 2 night shifts with out rest. at one point i was almost asleep stood up. i've done over 36 hours before piece of piss but the job really took it out of me....

i've done over 36 hours before piece of piss

Really? It was VERY hard. Usually 24 hours is quite doable, but I found that there's a crunch time around 30 ish and every hour becomes a living nightmare. Up to 24th hour, you can eat to stay up - greesy food works well. But after that I found no amounts of food/drinks made much difference. Usually what allowed me to stay up 30+ was an obsessive concentration on a task in a game, like camping for an item. I'd be so determined to get the item, I could survive those hours. The last few hours became hypnotic.

I won't do it again. I really hate it. Life is much more fun living normally.

I'm just impressed you can still type! haha

Actual snippet of a conversation with Jordan.

Oh Ah Uh-Oh Oh! The Hounds Of Love are coming says:

i jusr soub around on my nuew swcivel chair

Jordan - Bought Another Dreamcast (that still hasn't come ¬_¬) says:

i can tell

:D

don't throw up.

i thinnk i will

pretty soon

i has a heeadache

weee!

wooo

sick? P

u spin around 8 times!!!

*i

no

i'd hit things

noo!!

mostly my cat.

i spun!

around

oh.

8 timmee

s

Actual snippet of a conversation with Jordan.

i jusr soub around on my nuew swcivel chair

i thinnk i will

i has a heeadache

u spin around 8 times!!!

*i

8 timmee

s

lol thats definitely different compared to your normal perfect spelling ;)

Guest Jordan

Its 4am, i'm still up.

Been watching scrubs and then i used my crazy hunter cat known as Mollie to help me catch some moths. Shes awesome! :D

Guest Ford Prefect
Really? It was VERY hard. Usually 24 hours is quite doable, but I found that there's a crunch time around 30 ish and every hour becomes a living nightmare. Up to 24th hour, you can eat to stay up - greesy food works well. But after that I found no amounts of food/drinks made much difference. Usually what allowed me to stay up 30+ was an obsessive concentration on a task in a game, like camping for an item. I'd be so determined to get the item, I could survive those hours. The last few hours became hypnotic.

I won't do it again. I really hate it. Life is much more fun living normally.

actually, not drinking anything with caffine in is the key to staying awake. not eating much does the trick too as the digestion process uses energy that could otherwise be used in staying awake. best to just snack a little. usually something to concentrate on is the key, so gaming is what usually gets me thru. when i'm at work and knackered cos i've been up too long for whatever reason its a different ball game, usually need to eat and drink coffee by the gallon. staying awake for extended periods increases your energy requirements(unsurprisingly) so if you're working as well, you need the food to remain standing never mind anything else.

ask for the 27 hours on KOTOR thing, think i had been up 40 hours in total by the time i slept after that stint. i was halucinating the last few hours, could see the HUD from the game floating in the air infront of me.

i have played AoE2 far too much before too, games on that can last ages! one time i started halucinating due to playing too long. could hear ingame sound effects where there werent any because i wasn't on the game or even the pc sometimes

and sometimes would see little purple dots on the screen or something (my units are ALWAYS purple in AoE2)

sometimes going without sleep can actually be fun, hit a period where you get something me and particle_man (off irc) call "sleep drunk" where you're abit daft, sense of humour goes crackers. everything turns on edge and things that normally wouldn't seem funny make you giggle for no reason.