N-Europe

Battle Royale Remake

Happenstance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the decision to remake is mostly financial. It's an easy money (sort of).

But, I also tend to dislike remakes, just because the "new" audience tend to miss the point of the original. To me, jap movies are unique in their ability to inject superficial bizarreness into a mould of sentimentalism and humanity. Artistic subtlety seems to bridge that impossible gap.

Hollywood caters more for Attention Deficit Disorder type, where everything is fast moving and everything has to make crystal clear sense at the end. That's what people demand, and so Hollywood gives the supply. They do the same with remakes. In doing so, they cut up the deeper layers and instead amplify what's on the surface. It's that McDonald'ization that concerns me.

I can see that is also fun at times, but I also find it superficial and loses the intricate artistic expression that existed in the original. When Ring remake came out, the cyberspace debated on which was better. Many people commented that remake is better because the original is so unclear and slow moving. Remake was more exciting, vivid and well explained. Some went as far as to say the "original sux". See what I mean?

To me the most beautiful art is that dark corner I don't get to see. It is the point of analysis and fascination about jap movies. Hollywood will remove those bits.

This news has only encouraged me to go out and buy that DVD now.

Such a classic, did Kinju direct BR2? I havent seen that one, mainly because its nowhere to be found near by, but if he did I may as well trawl ebay for a copy of it.

This news has only encouraged me to go out and buy that DVD now.

Such a classic, did Kinju direct BR2? I havent seen that one, mainly because its nowhere to be found near by, but if he did I may as well trawl ebay for a copy of it.

He directed the first 25 or so good minutes of the final cut. Then sadly he died and his son took over the filming (and ironically, that was when the film got over the top and well.. quite bad).

Still worthy of a buy, the special features on the DVD version I have are great, Kinju throwing chairs around in the auditions. :D

Have to say I disagree with you there Ash. A good director makes the style of the film his own.

but on the subject of BR2: I fucking hate that movie. not just because it's poor, which it is, but because the first is an emotionally charged, haunting movie that just so happens to be incredibly violent. the seccond is just incredibly violent popcorn crap.

hey, maybe they should just remake that one for the states..

This is going to be awesome! XD Pure comedy will be on display for any Battle Royale fans! XD

Just think about it.... Try to replace them characters with an American highschool stereotype and think of the hilarity! XD

I'm going to enjoy this film so much.... Not for the same reason as the original obviously, but, yeah it will be great fun to watch...

However if anyone goes into it expecting the same thing as the original gave you might as well not go cause it won't happen..... There are certain archetypes in that film (well Japanese media in general) that just don't exist in america..... The equivelents as I said will be funny though. ^^d

It's simply far too early to be calling doom and gloom.

Look at A Fistful of Dollars. A masterpiece that was a western remake of another legendry Japanese film. Heck, I'd go as far as to say that the Western was better, if not only for Clint Eastwood.

Infernal Affairs is being remade by Scorcese, and stars DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen and Jack Nicholson. I just can't see this sucking.

Battle Royale will probably suck if the guy from the Fast and Furious involved, but don't cast ye stones just yet.

Just think about it.... Try to replace them characters with an American highschool stereotype and think of the hilarity!

Oh god, I just imagined something horrid. You're going to have those horrible stereotypical hollywood teen americans in it. You'll have the typical 'jock' sport guys, the "miss teen america" who won't want to get her dress dirty. The tough 'normal' girl who fancies the boy friend of the popular girl, then the typical funny fat guy, and some nerdy guy who has a secret crush on some girl but won't tell her.

If this isn't crap, then I'll be amazed.

Its a shame its been remade in america. I think a british remake in the style of 'Dog Soldiers' would be much better. Plus Englsh teen actors don't tend to "act" as much, and come across on screen so much more believably as teenagers, rather than 25 year olds pretending to be generic sterotypical kids.

Probably some blond cheese dick from the Holywood school of child actors and the balck occult. With a bit of luck, the whole cast, crew and every single copy of the script will simultaneously faint and slip over the edge of a very tall cliff. I truly, very seriously can't even begin to grasp the concept of this film ever being any good. There's no way they can improve the original anyway.

Probably some blond cheese dick from the Holywood school of child actors and the balck occult. With a bit of luck, the whole cast, crew and every single copy of the script will simultaneously faint and slip over the edge of a very tall cliff. I truly, very seriously can't even begin to grasp the concept of this film ever being any good. There's no way they can improve the original anyway.

The problem is, the kids, now how likely is it that we are gonna get 40 15 year old kids, providing a performance??

It's simply far too early to be calling doom and gloom.

Look at A Fistful of Dollars. A masterpiece that was a western remake of another legendry Japanese film. Heck, I'd go as far as to say that the Western was better, if not only for Clint Eastwood.

Infernal Affairs is being remade by Scorcese, and stars DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Martin Sheen and Jack Nicholson. I just can't see this sucking.

Battle Royale will probably suck if the guy from the Fast and Furious involved, but don't cast ye stones just yet.

Battle Royale won't contain such actors as they are all.... ermm.... Old. These are going to be teenage actors so yeah I expect nothing from them.....

A couple of people are catching on to why I think it's gunna be funny, but, I don't think they are finding it amusing themself... *shrug* lol

From this...........

http://www.dream-angels.net/sl/01/ref01.jpg

......to this.....

http://www.tribute.ca/tribute_objects/images/movies/not_another_teen_movie/notanotherteenmovie7.jpg

XD

Have to say I disagree with you there Ash. A good director makes the style of the film his own.

But the direction is the outer beauty, it looks ncie and its often whats used to advertise it. But the heart of any good film is in the script. Granted, a good script can't improve bad direction, and good direction can't improve a bad script but I hate this idea that a director <em>makes</em> the film. Its the Tarantino-effect.

The script, the acting, the artsitic direction - the director is in charge of all of that. He has the power to rewrite the script, the responsibility to guide the actors and is intimately involved with every shot through until the end of editing and post-production. the director isn't the only cog, but is the core of a film productuion.

It's more or less a similar argument as to what makes a good videogame. Story, Graphics, Sound, gameplay, etc. There's no set answer, as we'll always come across a game which we consider to be great that may lack on these 'vital elements'. Naturally, we may like a film that may not necessarily have a great script, or the direction may not be top notch material.

The script, the acting, the artsitic direction - the director is in charge of all of that. He has the power to rewrite the script, the responsibility to guide the actors and is intimately involved with every shot through until the end of editing and post-production. the director isn't the only cog, but is the core of a film productuion.

But why do they have this much power? Thats what I find wrong. How they are the be-all-and-end-all and it seems to get to some people's heads. Some directors have royally fucked up a film because they think they know whats best. I think the film industry should adopt the American show-runner scheme.

But why do they have this much power? Thats what I find wrong. How they are the be-all-and-end-all and it seems to get to some people's heads. Some directors have royally fucked up a film because they think they know whats best. I think the film industry should adopt the American show-runner scheme.

The thing is, hollywood pays directors for their vision, its like peter jackson, he was involved in a shit load of lord of the rings, everything that was done had to be approved by him, and it worked well, sometimes it just doesnt work well. thats the way certain things go i guess.