Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got them when they came out ^_^

Fantastic games, I'm a lover for Game Boy Zelda (Link's Awakening :heart:) so it's typical of me to like them, but they're choc full of secrets and Zelda charm. Plus once you've completed one, you can move onto the other as one large adventure!

I got them when they came out ^_^

Fantastic games, I'm a lover for Game Boy Zelda (Link's Awakening :heart:) so it's typical of me to like them, but they're choc full of secrets and Zelda charm. Plus once you've completed one, you can move onto the other as one large adventure!

Yeah the link-up feature sounded great but sadly I only owned AGES and not SEASONS. Im a massive fan of Links Awakening I remember playing it when I had my exams at school...ah happy times.

• 2 months later...

i've never been a fan of the oracle games. they felt a little too much like capcom with al the berries and crap. still it freshened up the 2D zeldas so thats cool.

i havent completed either, i suppose i chould pick one and play it to completion to get that code to carry on in the other.

These are 2 amazing games. Seriously they beat everything (except Link's Awakening and Pokemon). Seasons is better though. It was more action based, had better dungeons and the world was bigger. Ages is still amazing though, and the bit at the end when you fight Twinrova and Ganon! Amazing.

• 4 years later...

Time for some retro awesomeness! I've owned both of these for some years now, and did go reasonably far in OoA...only to wipe my save at some point! Sigh, never again...Anyway, the game was friggin' outstanding, so now that I've got my GBA SP and both games with me, I'm more than eager to finally beat them! :)

So, my question for you guys who have played these...which one first? Also, is it worth doing both linked quests, or just one? Seems a bit...excessive doing both games twice!

Edited by Ville

Time for some retro awesomeness! I've owned both of these for some years now, and did go reasonably far in OoA...only to wipe my save at some point! Sigh, never again...Anyway, the game was friggin' outstanding, so now that I've got my GBA SP and both games with me, I'm more than eager to finally beat them! :)

So, my question for you guys who have played these...which one first? Also, is it worth doing both linked quests, or just one? Seems a bit...excessive doing both games twice!

Seasons is Zelda 7 and Ages is Zelda 8 so I'd start with Seasons but it really makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

I got both at launch (still have them too) and played Seasons, then Ages, then linked Seasons and then linked Ages so I could see the difference from one to the other.

I think the "proper" order is Seasons first, then Ages. Simply because Seasons is a more exploration-oriented game, while Ages has a more complex plot, which means the joint ending is more climactic that way.

That said, I only ever played Ages then Seasons :heh: That order also works, and they even reveal a small twist regarding a few minor characters if you play it that way.

All in all, these are some fine, fine games. I should replay them some time.

Hmm, so there is a canonical order? Interesting. Anyway, I tried starting both and...I just wanted to finish Ages first, since that's the one I almost completed before. Well, mission accomplished, just beat it! :) Didn't take that long either...awesome. Overall, pretty good dungeon designs thus far, and the end boss took me a few tries as well, just as it should. I'm also digging the post-game, everyone being all happy and so...like they should be, I mean I just saved the whole friggin' world! xD

Next stop: Holodrum and some new adventures, right on!

These titles briefly appear in this month's Edge Magazine in an article entitled "the misfits: On the trail of the often-forgotten games that drowned in their own gene pools".

Yeah, they are forgotten gems indeed. Need more lovin they do!!!.

I only have Oracle of Ages. If I ever do hunt down a copy of Seasons, I have a save ready :). Can’t remember much of it, but top-down Zelda’s are rarely disappoint. As far as I’m concerned, Capcom can make new Zelda games when Nintendo can’t be arsed, I loved Minish Cap as well.

As far as I’m concerned, Capcom can make new Zelda games when Nintendo can’t be arsed, I loved Minish Cap as well.

:hug: Love me some Minish Cap.

I'm hoping both these titles appear of the 3DS Virtual Console at some point. I got rid of them ages ago and would love to play through them both again.

They should remix the series. Flesh out Ages/Seasons, go Master Quest style on the dungeons, and make the third which they should've done for the third spirit.

Don't think it was ever meant as a three way, besides, wasn't the third spirit the one tying it all together in the tree?

Don't think it was ever meant as a three way

Yes, it was. From Wikipedia:

Dismayed by the rate at which the team had been spending money for a year without results, Okamoto asked Miyamoto for help, who then came up with the idea of a whole trilogy of games, each with a different focus on gameplay elements. This trilogy was referred to as the "Triforce Series", named after a fictional holy relic known as the Triforce that plays a major role in many Zelda titles. The Triforce is composed of three parts: the Triforces of Power, Wisdom, and Courage; each game in the trilogy was to be associated with a piece of the Triforce, one of the titles being the conversion of the original The Legend of Zelda.
The limitations of this system and the difficulty of coordinating three games proved too complicated, so the team scaled back to two titles at Miyamoto's suggestion. Condensing the games into a single cartridge was never considered, as the prospect of multiple endings and the added replay value afforded by the ability to play the titles in either order was very attractive. Oracle of Seasons was adapted from Mystical Seed of Power, Oracle of Ages was adapted from Mystical Seed of Wisdom, and Mystical Seed of Courage was canceled.

So now you know. ;)

Don't think it was ever meant as a three way, besides, wasn't the third spirit the one tying it all together in the tree?

Actually, it was.

The Legend of Zelda: Mystical Seed of Courage

Farore was going to be the main oracle of The Legend of Zelda: Mystical Seed of Courage. The game was dismissed due to linking errors. So instead of wasting her, they gave her a minor role in both Seasons and Ages. Either way, it seems The Legend of Zelda: Mystical Seed of Courage was a combination of Seasons and Ages and was going to use the same type of time loss system as the Temple of the Ocean King in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. This explains her second name being the Oracle of Hours. But none of this was official, and the idea seemed to be ditched until The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass was released with the time loss system.

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Oracle_of_Secrets

So yeah, if the third game would have been themed around Courage, then Ages is Wisdom (puzzles) and Seasons is Power (action) :) Wow, a pretty awesome way to include the triforce...

Brilliant games indeed. OoA is definitely a contender for the best 2D-Zelda game in my books, though yet to play OoS...