N-Europe

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Sarka

According to IGNs podcast, the reason that Disaster ain't coming to the US is down to Reggie's belief that the game has terrible audio.

A game like Disaster needs great audio. If its cheesy dialogue, fine but atmospheric music and sound should be a priority when a volcano is blowing its top.

If that's true (which I highly doubt) then it seems like they're just looking for any old excuse now, I mean...

Epic! Even via crappy mono YouTube vid. :awesome:

The first reason NoA gave about waiting for Euro sales performance made a hell of a lot more sense.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Sorry if it looked like I was doing it. I wasn't my intention :)

Honestly, Matt and Mark (and other IGN podcasters) will do anything to make us discuss about them ;) The way they say it's like they sit down in a meeting room talking about the next releases, everybody pointed out "Disaster" and Reggie said "No! The sound is terrible! We won't release it!"...

It just... don't fit!

IGN UK's first impressions are up

Take this as constructive criticism, but you could have linked that.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/920/920096p1.html

Well, they say some good and some bad....

"(...) some show-stopping effects work, with billowing smoke, molten debris and towering lava walls all rendered with surprising aplomb, given the Wii's relatively middling horsepower. Admittedly, the downside to the stellar disaster work is that environment geometry and frame rate takes a small hit but it's worth it as Nintendo's console recreates earthquakes, fire storms and flash floods."

"Our only real concern with Disaster's otherwise competent on-rails shooting is the pointer's relative looseness. It's certainly not a deal breaker but the slight cursor lag (which annoyed us in Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and annoys us equally here) just doesn't offer the kind of satisfying responsiveness we'd appreciate in this type of game."

"Based on what we've seen so far, Disaster Day of Crisis is as 'B' as its cinematic inspiration. It's dumb, it's flawed and hardly likely to go down in history as a classic."

Let's await further developments.

It's probably wiser to put that last point into its full context:

Based on what we've seen so far, Disaster Day of Crisis is as 'B' as its cinematic inspiration. It's dumb, it's flawed and hardly likely to go down in history as a classic. However, like any disaster movie of worth, it's a daft, wild and ultimately enjoyable ride – and, given the game's relative uniqueness on Wii, we're looking forward to playing more.

Yeah, I didn't quite realize that removing the last sentence (which appeared to me was their way of saying they're looking forward to playing it just because of its uniqueness on Wii...) would make the first one sound so bad... dorky.gif

That said, I'm still interested in the game, it looks like old school arcade fun. Especially when he finds food items in crates, that's classic right there! That along with cheesy story and corny voice acting makes this game almost like a return to the 90's.

hum, having seen the gameplay videos, im not so sure any more about this. is an onrails shhoter really the best way to deal with action? i think i'll give it a chance, see if i get it from santa. if nothing else, it looks pretty diffrent.

if it wernt for the on rails sections, it would have reminded me a bit of drakes fortune.

After the unveiling of screenshots a few weeks ago for Disaster, I haven't looked at anything more concerning it! I believe I saw enough in the few images I clicked on to think that it is a game I will enjoy :smile:

I ordered it at the end of September on the GAME website so I could get a DualShock 3 cheaper for my brother's birthday.. when it arrives I will be giving the game to my girlfriend to keep until Christmas :heh: ..I'll be staying away from videos and information about the game, but I may glance at a few review scores out of interest before I get my hands on it!

I have bought the game early(here in Greece is already available in certain stores) and my first impressions are definite positives.

Let's start my impressions.

The game is a very high production game.There is voice acting, even more cutscenes and a lot of different stages around different locations all rendered very well.The graphics are actually very good.In some stages you are in a whole town where you can see all the physical catastrophes.You see collapsing buildings,even scycrappers,tsunamies,earthquakes and volcano lava.All represented highly accurate and with good physics.I would say that the real protagonist of the game is the physical catastrophes.

The gameplay itself is a hybrid between action/adventure/rpg.

A typical stage is something like that.

-Wandering around,saving people(with actually very cool mini-games) and even solving puzzles.

-Combat.First person and also on rails but not as much as you imagine.There are a pre-set number on enemies you must eliminate and after that the camera is moving.What is actually very helpfull and innovative is the focus mode during combat.By holding down the C button you can zoom in the enemy and any shot during focus mode deals double damage.Of course the focus effect can last only 5 seconds before the focus bar being replenished.

Finally,at any time during combat,by holding Z button you can take cover.All in all,the combat is very satisfying and it reminds me a lot of Winback.

-Driving.During some events you must drive a car in order to escape.The camera shifts inside the car (think Project Gotham) and you drive the car by holding the wiimote horizontally just like Mario Kart or Excitetruck.

These events are VERY impressive graphically as you drive while all the scenery is transforming from the natural disasters.There are a few frame rate drops but nothing major or game breaking.

-Boss fights.This came to me as a big surprise.Every boss fight is not only very interesting but also very original.I cannot tell any more because some people don't want spoilers.But I assure you that the boss fights are excellent.

Finally I would like to make a few comments about Monolith software.They are heavily expertised in RPGs and this is apparent on this game.

The story contains much much depth,a lot of cut scenes and is told with an excellent way.Kudos to them!

Also they have implemented some RPG elements in the game.

You can upgrade your character's statistics such as Power,Firearm,Focus,Metabolism and strenght.By completing one stage you earn some SP points which you can use to level up.

You obtain also Bullet points which you use to upgrade your weapons and even buy new ones.Think something similar to RE4.

The weapons available are some handguns,assault riffles,shotguns,crossbows and even rocket launchers.The most funny 'weapon' is that you can also use some trash to shoot the enemies like stones,cans and even teddy bears!

The story is a typical action movie film with high production values but of course this is not in the MGS level.The story actually reminded me 'The Rock' a lot!

I have not finished the game yet as I am taking my time trying to upgrade my weapons and my character so if you intend to complete this game 100% you are for a long ride.

Luckilly the game itself has the option to replay every completed level as many time you wish in order to gain more points to customize.

The game supports 480p and widescreen.

I hope that I covered a lot about the game.

Don't hesitate and buy it.It's a solid 8.5-9/10 game and I would recomended to everyone .It's a shame if this game bombs while some others sell like crazy.

Feel free to ask me anything about the game.

:smile: