Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy

Ashley

Keep this up Galaxy and you could cause one of the biggest upsets in the modern gaming era. Imagine how awesome it would be if with all these ultra fantastic mature perceived HD releases (i.e. Bioshock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, The Orange Box. Assassins Creed etc) Super Mario Galaxy wins GOTY. It would ring true to the notion of Gameplay > Graphics.

Keep this up Galaxy and you could cause one of the biggest upsets in the modern gaming era. Imagine how awesome it would be if with all these ultra fantastic mature perceived HD releases (i.e. Bioshock, Halo 3, Mass Effect, The Orange Box. Assassins Creed etc) Super Mario Galaxy wins GOTY. It would ring true to the notion of Gameplay > Graphics.

Galaxy has great graphics; infact it has better graphics than all of those imo apart from bioshock.

Didn't Okami do that last year 0_o.

Galaxy has great graphics; infact it has better graphics than all of those imo apart from bioshock.

Mass Effect looks pretty incredible. And Okami looks amazing as well. Graphics are still important in my view, but I still like the look of games like Twilight Princess, Okami, and Mario Galaxy.

Well, I have been playing the American version for the last couple of days.

I managed to get my 62nd star yesterday and so far I can conclude the graphics aren't the best overall but the effects really stand out. The amount of polish is also something worth mentioning. The orchestrated music really adds a lot to the total experience. When you grab that ice flower, you really feel pumped because of the fitting music that plays.

I played a lot of the game in coop and while there is not always as much to do for the second player, it can really help you pass certain stage parts a bit easier. And if your coop player happens to be your sister or girlfriend, you'll be glad they are doing most of the collecting ( they love it so very much )

The only levels which I found to be hair pulling at times were those where you need to roll on a ball over a long obstacle course. Or the ray surfing. It's all frustrating at times, but with good concentration and a little skill, you can surely do it :).

The comets that appear offer fun challenges that aren't always easy to finish. Racing your ghost or finishing levels under a certain amount of time or fighting a boss while you can't get hit. All very nice!

Good job Nintendo, after Sunshine I was letdown, and I'm sure that after Galaxy is over, I'll be left wanting more

IGN review up (9.7/10):

http://wii.ign.com/articles/833/833298p1.html

Criticisms:

Uselss addition of Rosalina that conflicts somewhat with traditional nature of Mario games, somewhat alleviated by choice not to view additional details about her story in the library;

Some instances of camera problems when auto adjusting (rarely happens but can still interfere in critical moments); and

Overall too low in difficulty with star cut off point and some pushover bosses including the final boss.

Also theres a complaint about lack of voice work, but because the audio (particularly the orchestrated pieces that are of particularly high quality, the game got 10 in audio anyway).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Satisfied with the score and was around what I expected. Was just about all praise, I outlined the only criticisms of the review above. I look forward to another "memorable" gaming experience that only Nintendo can provide best...

It was a great review, loads of praise for the game and really got me hyped.

Obviously the game is going to be short and easy at 60 stars, this one seems to have enough incentives and reasons to get you to go for the whole 120 though so I see no problem.

Hell what am I saying, there could be no reward for getting 120 stars but you still would, cause each one would be just as fun and refreshing as the last.

My only worry is after this game no other Wii game is going to feel as good for a few months :(.

No quite surprisingly it's not really!

New Super Mario Bros. sold 900,000 in it's first week apparently!

But then the portable market is different! but still it's the Wii and it's Mario!

The answer could becuase DS hardware sales than Wii hardware sales

Whats really annoying me, is the thought that Nintendo uses low sales on this, Metroid, BWii etc to rationalise making simple casual games that sell millions of copies!! If they fucking advertised and promoted the games like they should then they'd sell more!!!