Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Ashley

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully they get one thing sorted. The thing that put me off prime 1+2 for long periods was they artifact and key hunts. And if samus can get some good Anti virus and backup systems maybe she won't lose all her upgrades this time. Not to say it isn't funny when it happens.

Hopefully they get one thing sorted. The thing that put me off prime 1+2 for long periods was they artifact and key hunts. And if samus can get some good Anti virus and backup systems maybe she won't lose all her upgrades this time. Not to say it isn't funny when it happens.

Oh yes, the key search was really annoying. Although I found the search in the second not so difficult and it didn't put that much strain on the eyes. Damn X-Ray Visor.

I would also like that Samus has more equipment but in the end that's what Metroid is about: find your equipment to progress.

A new ship every darn game.

Since there's not much to talk about and because i'm bored, let me elaborate on that.

Let's consider ship 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Ship 1 was used in her first mission on planet Zebes (Metroid 1 or Metroid Zero Mission):

ship20landingthumbnailwt2.jpg

Ship 1 gets destroyed by the space pirates so in Metroid Prime (the next game chronologically) it gets ship 2:

gunshipprimeas4.jpg

This is the same ship in Metroid Prime Hunters and it makes all the sense. Now, i haven't finished Hunters yet, so i don't know what happens on the end of the game to samus's ship 2 but probably nothing happens and she gets a new ship on Metroid Prime 2 for no reason (ship 3):

mp2gunshiptx3.jpg

Metroid Prime 3's ship (ship 4) is the one that makes less sense:

samusship1cz5.jpg

Ship 3 was the one that should be in Metroid Prime 3 because in Metroid 2, Super Metroid and in the beggining of Metroid Fusion samus has ship 3, the same from Metroid Prime 2.

Well, ship 5 is the purple one from Metroid Fusion that she gets because ship 3 was destroyed:

gunshipfusionrx4.jpg

That's it, and i'm still bored. Damn.

Didn't I read that you have some/most/all of the addons from the start?

There's a strong chance that I made that up though....

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/708/708948p2.html

IGN Wii: In Prime 3, do you lose your abilities and have to retrieve them throughout the game?

Mark Pacini No.

Bryan Walker: We did that for two games in a row. We didn't want to do it again. [Laughs]

There you go!

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/708/708948p2.html

IGN Wii: In Prime 3, do you lose your abilities and have to retrieve them throughout the game?

Mark Pacini No.

Bryan Walker: We did that for two games in a row. We didn't want to do it again. [Laughs]

Maybe you start with all your abilities and lose them gradually throughout the game, coming face to face with the final boss armed only with a stick.

Gaining abilities is part of the appeal IMO. It gives you something to look forward to and also teases you with sections you can't explore just yet and have to come back to.

Surely they will keep to the formula of 'not yet' sections which need backtracking to, but how will they do this then? By collecting keys perhaps?

Infomation so far:

This initial plot is for the section of the game on the demo at E3:

Base Sector Zero, a Galactic Federation military installation, is under attack by Space Pirates. The Galactic Federation's computer network, Aurora Unit, is frozen by a computer virus (it has not been confirmed whether this was the Space Pirates' doing or not). Samus sets out to reactivate a generator that powers the base's anti-orbital cannon, where she encounters Meta Ridley. He knocks her down into a shaft, and the player engages him in a down-falling battle. Upon defeating Meta Ridley, Samus is pulled from the shaft by Rundus, while Meta Ridley seemingly falls to his death. However, in the opening scene of the game, Samus can be seen fighting Meta Ridley once again, except she is in morphball form with 14 energy tanks.

However, in the conferences Nintendo held to announce the date and release date for the Wii, a new level was seen, evidently preceding the E3 level, where Samus is on a Federation ship. Samus appears in a save station, and she makes her way to the bridge. Upon the bridge, the captain tells her to get to the planet surface, when the GF ships are struck by space pirate fire. She gets to a generator room, where a party of space pirates take the energy cell and attempt to make off with it. Samus defeats them and returns the power cell, but hundreds of small insects start to crawl from the ceiling. Samus escapes via her morphball (and whilst in a tunnel, the camera shows Rundus freezing and shattering a space pirate) into an airlock chamber, and accidentally sets off the airlock cycle, sucking her into space. She manages to climb back onboard, and gets to her ship. However, as she approaches, a gigantic creature (it matches the same colour scheme of a space pirate, but with one eye and a huge mouth) jumps down and walks towards her, swinging its claws. Samus taps on her armcannon, and her gunship flies away, leaving her to do battle with the beast.

A brief overview of the plot is as follows:

A war has occurred as Dark Samus travels to different planets to corrupt each world with Phazon seeds. Samus will search for weapons and abilities in new landscapes and attempt to destroy the seeds, while battling Dark Samus, a major adversary. Nintendo has added that this is the last game in the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Additionally, Nintendo says that many new hunters will make an appearance, in addition to Rundus. He is said to be "eager to assist Samus"

Other hunters may include a mysterious purple, ghostly woman. This character seems to be capable of transforming into a Space Pirate, possibly among other forms as well. Additionally, what may be a large rock hunter, however, with this hunter, there seems to be a large orange sphere in the center of its chest, suggesting that it may be Samus in morph ball form, in a sort of battle suit, and also evidence to this is the fact that in the opening cut-scene of the demo shown at E3, during the scene when Dark Samus is corrupting the hunters, this rock being is not shown. Also a large robotic hunter, with what seems to be a small levitating head is present in the opening cut-scene of the demo.

Phazon and its role

The mysterious material, Phazon, will again play an integral role in the adventure, possibly even more so than in Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. In an IGN interview with the game's director, Mark Pacini, Pacini stated:“ The idea behind the title is that in Prime 1 and Prime 2 we used Phazon as a way to explain what was happening on each planet. In Prime 1, the planet was corrupted by Phazon. In Prime 2, the Phazon caused the world to split into two on Aether. In Metroid Prime 3, we're trying to explain what the origins of Phazon were and it's the culmination of what this is all about. It's not only a story element - the Phazon and corruption which happen on a planetary scale - but it also happens in a gameplay sense as well. Samus herself gets corrupted by Phazon and actually begins to develop abilities based on that Phazon. So that's kind of why the game is titled "Corruption". You yourself are becoming corrupted.”

In the game, Samus and the other hunters will become infected with Phazon by Dark Samus. This infection will become increasingly apparent through the game. During the time that Samus is in "Hyper-mode" (as Retro refers to it), the graphics will be altered. A short demo video at Gameinformer.com has revealed one attack, taking place in the Morph Ball mode, that will send out many tendrils of Phazon to attack nearby enemies. In this same video, an attack from Samus' arm cannon can be seen in the first few frames recorded (after the three seconds of black with the overlaying GameInformer name). While in Hyper-mode, you will have two meters: A "Corruption" meter, displayed by the text "Hyper-mode Corruption" and a two-digit & one decimal percent, and a green "Phazon" meter, displayed by a simple bar. The Corruption meter rises and when it reaches the maximum, Samus will perish. Samus cannot enter hyper-mode until the Phazon meter is full and it lowers as you use Phazon attacks. Samus can die from misuse of this ability. Pacini also made references to a unique Phazon ability set that can be built upon and added to as one plays through the game.

Control

The game will be enhanced by way of Nintendo's new controller for Wii. Aiming the Arm Cannon was done in two ways in a demo at E3 2006, with a third revealed in September of 2006, using the Wii Remote to direct Samus' aim:

Casual Mode - This works by setting part or all of the screen as a "box". If the point calculated from the controller (the sight of the Arm Cannon) is inside the box, aiming is done without moving the camera. If said sight is outside the box (that is, Samus' view), the camera will move in the direction of the sight. In the demo, this was the standard control mode.

Advanced Mode - The box is much smaller, and the pointer more sensitive. Turning does not require as much of an angle.

Expert Mode - The box is smaller still, and the cursor even more sensitive. This mode "feels hugely improved and much more playable" for people used to a mouse and keyboard FPS scheme.

The controls for this game are not finalized as of yet; small adjustments may be made from the controls given at the E3 demos for this game (such as the A and B buttons switching functionality). It is currently unknown if the speaker built into the Wii Remote will be utilized, but the E3 demo suggests the possibility of listening to radio communications, as if Samus herself was hearing them.

The A button fires the Arm Cannon. The three D-pad directions (up, left, and right) now control visors, and the down button fires missiles. The Z button is used for locking on, C button activates the morph ball, and the B button makes Samus jump, while thrusting the Nunchuk will fire a grapple beam at a locked-on target, which is then manipulated with the Wii Remote. Interesting to note is that many creatures cannot be locked on, and many, like space pirates, will dive and jump to shake off the lock-on. The analog stick is in control of movement, and the pointing mechanic of the Wii Remote points Samus's Arm Cannon.

The most interesting new gameplay mechanic involves the accelerometer in the Nunchuk. In the game (it is suspected that it may be used at any time, but not confirmed), the Nunchuk can be jabbed forward, activating Samus's Grapple Beam. In addition to being able to suspend her from Grapple Points, it can now also be used offensively. An example of this is the Grapple Beam's ability to attach onto a Space Pirate's shield and forcibly tear it away, leaving the Space Pirate vulnerable to attack. The player can also use the controller to open up doors by using the scan visor to make a switch appear, then pulling back the Wii Remote to simulate pulling out the switch, twisting it, and pushing it back in again. Similarly, the player can push the Wii Remote forward and rotate it clockwise to lock power cells into their sockets. There are certain screenshots where the player can use the Nunchuk to control Samus' left hand.

Gameplay

Unlike its predecessors on the GameCube and Prime Hunters for the DS, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will not feature an interchangeable beam system; instead, it will have a stackable beam system similar to 2D Metroid games, such as Super Metroid (whether this means that beams can be turned on and off has yet to be revealed). The game will also feature various newly added visors, including the X-Ray Visor from Metroid Prime and which will be used in conjunction with a brand new beam, stacked upgrades for the Grapple Beam, a beam that can pass through walls, and completely new upgrades. One of these upgrades is apparently a new Command Visor that allows remote control over Samus' gunship; this can be used to summon the ship in combat and to clear obstacles in Samus' path. The Echoes variation of the Screw Attack will also be returning, as Samus is shown in one video performing a Wall Jump technique.

In an issue of Nintendo Power, the developers said that they will not have multiplayer in the same format as Metroid Prime 2. This game's focus is to maintain non-linearity and the other staples of the Metroid series. According to the game's developers, the more intuitive control will cause Corruption to be less difficult than Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, faster paced, and scanning will become easier to perform.

This backs up the previous statement Retro Studios made about not having to regain your abilities throughout the game.

Instead of suit powerups to defeat Prime/Dark Samus has this to do...

Samus will search for weapons and abilities in new landscapes and attempt to destroy the seeds, while battling Dark Samus, a major adversary.

Samus herself gets corrupted by Phazon and actually begins to develop abilities based on that Phazon.

Pacini also made references to a unique Phazon ability set that can be built upon and added to as one plays through the game.

The game will also feature various newly added visors, including the X-Ray Visor from Metroid Prime and which will be used in conjunction with a brand new beam, stacked upgrades for the Grapple Beam, a beam that can pass through walls, and completely new upgrades. One of these upgrades is apparently a new Command Visor that allows remote control over Samus' gunship; this can be used to summon the ship in combat and to clear obstacles in Samus' path.

^^ Ditto.

No multiplayer in the same format as MP2 is probably meaning no split-screen.

It could mean anything to be honest. Let's just pray it doesn't mean a bunch of throwaway mini games, which seems to be the in-thing these days.

But have to, you will.

Argh, I know! I'm just feel like I'm going to wet myself in anticipation... and I really don't want to wet myself! Ha ha!

Every time I read something about this game (even though it's pretty much always the same info as the last time) I get really hyped!

The Metroids and the Zeldas stand head and shoulders above everything else for me!

I just read Dante's post, but i think there was one little thing he left out. If i'm not mistaken, I remember an interview somewhere saying that the screw attack will be used a lot more actively as a weapon in Corrution, more-so than in echoes, where it wasnt used much as an offensive upgrade.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!