N-Europe

Work Advice please!

Hey guys, i'd like some advice. I work just down the road, in the local pub, and ive been there allmost a year. Mainly washing up and odd jobs, but last week i was promoted to Waiter and ive been waiting for the past week. I expected a pay rise, i mean £3.50 really isnt anything to brag about when i have mates working for £7 an hour elsewhere. But i didnt get any pay rise, and im working like a dog for that pub. Should i ask for a pay rise? Theres someone else in the exact same position as me there... but he's 14 years old. Its rediculous.

another thing is, im planning on getting my lip repierced in two weeks, but they wont let me be a waiter anymore i dont think. To be honest i dont really want a job that judges me on my appearance, and this job is so convienient, its a 3 min walk away from my front door, and i live in this tiny shitty little village where there isnt anywhere else i can go. This piercing thing is really important to me for loads of reasons.

Should i ask for a pay rise? Or leave it. Should i get my lip done and screw my job? Help!!

I don't think it'll matter to them, cos if he does get his lip pierced they'd probably just put him back at where he was. I honestly have no idea what i'd do in your position. I mean if i didn't really like it all that much i'd probably just try and find a job elsewhere, not really sure.

Yeah i will probably be back in the Kitchen, well hidden, doing odd jobs and washing up again which would suck. I do like waiting!! I just do not want to be judged by my appearance, you know? If some guy or girl with a lip piercing served you your fish and chips would really be that bothered??

meh

i mean £3.50 really isnt anything to brag about when i have mates working for £7 an hour elsewhere.

How old are you, because that is a crap pay, I worked in the holidays a couple of years back (16 years old), and I was getting £4.50 plus tips for washing up. If you over 18 then they have to pay you over a certain amount.

Ask for a raise and if they give you one then be thankful for what you've got and don't worry about a piercing because it's just a piercing and shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of life. If they don't give you a raise then do something else.

If you're on minimum wage you don't have a right to anything higher.

There isn't even a minimum wage for under 16s is there? Well £3 is the minimum wage for 16 & 17 so you're lucky you're not on that, I was for ages but I did ask for a pay rise when I was moved and I got one. You might as well try it, mine went from £3 to £4.25. You've got nothing to lose by asking.

There isn't even a minimum wage for under 16s is there? Well £3 is the minimum wage for 16 & 17 so you're lucky you're not on that, I was for ages but I did ask for a pay rise when I was moved and I got one. You might as well try it, mine went from £3 to £4.25. You've got nothing to lose by asking.

Yeah simply say your now working twice as hard and that you think you should get paid more than you used to. You don't have to go in aggresively shouting "Gimme a payrise or I'll quit". I'm sure if you just bring it up they'll at least consider it.

However as for them not letting you have a piercing, I don't think you should quit as the convenience of having a job close by is invaluable.

It's £4.25 due to go up to £4.45 in October.

ty, I was wondering the same thing. It's quite good actually (well I leave at home, so have next to no expenses).

I need to start looking for a job myself, I will probaly just work in the city (though it will cost me £10 a week in bus faires) :(

national insurance contributions

edit: dang too late.

i guess i should make a real comment then... hmmm. quit your job, get a real one and dont pierce your lip, they dont look good.

Best of luck, Coo. It's a shame this isn't Animal Crossing: You could just plant a bag of £10000 quid and come back in a few days to find it with several bags of 10k growing. Oh well, life's unfair.

GCSE's for the win for now.