N-Europe

Over/underrated games

Pizza

Which games do you think have been brutally underrated or stupidly overrated this gen? Everyone always goes on about SMS for example, seems to be a love/hate thing...

I have reckon the most underrated game was Rally Championship. It got mocked by reviewers reviewers everywhere, yet it's by far the best multiplayer game I have, and is pretty solid single player too. Hopefully someone else will have played it too.

Thoughts?

Beyond Good and Evil is horibbly over-rated. There's nothing particularly wrong with it but its far from amazing, the whole 'but it merges lots of genres together so well!' thing was done years ago by Frederick Raynal with his Little Big Adventure Series.

Also, I hate Metroid Prime - Respawning enemies, cumbersome controls, badly placed save points - I couldn't stand it, I know most loved it but I thought it was poor.

Under-Rated? Got to be Luigi's Mansion, short and easy but so much fun and so full of character. Really enjoyed that game :yay:

I think that Kirby Air Ride and Starfox Assault were both underrated. Sure, they're not amazing, but they're both a lot of fun, and I've spent quite a while playing them both. I certainly spent more time on Kirby than I did on Double Dash, anyway, where you can unlock everything in a week.

Oh yeah, Pikmin 2 is really underrated too. I know that a lot of people who've played it say they really enjoyed it, but it's just a shame so few gamers are willing to give it a go.

Overrated? Well I know there are quite a few people that loved Double Dash, Mario Sunshine and The Wind Waker, all of which I thought were missing that certain something that made their predecessors so fun.

metroid prime is the closest you can get to gaming perfection imo. if you didnt like it you probably found it too hard and got stuck. im not going to argue

No arguments but I found the game quite easy, just not particularly enjoyable. I guess I can see why people enjoyed it but it just wasn't my cup of tea :)

Guest Jordan

Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, one of my fave beat 'em ups ever. Great fun and really simple beat the crap out of each other gameplay.

Underated: Rally Championship (I had the PC version it was kick arse-I can only presume it was much the same on the Cube)

Resident Evil 4("What!?", you shout. It was even better than reveiwers said it was!)

Overated: Metroid Prime 2 Echoes (but only slightly, the land scapes weren't as good as the first.

Pikmin (damn that timer...is 2 any better?)

Underated games on the cube for me are Billy Hatcher as it was a joy to play and Baten Kaitos, an RPG that everyone should try out.

Overated I would have to say Tales of Symphonia ( holds up shield to protect himself from Stocka ) I thought the story wasnt up to much especially the first half as it seemed like a rip off of FFX. The battle system was pretty bad aswell. At times I just found myself hammering away at the attack button while reading a mag and still owning everything on screen.

Overated I would have to say Tales of Symphonia ( holds up shield to protect himself from Stocka ) I thought the story wasnt up to much especially the first half as it seemed like a rip off of FFX. The battle system was pretty bad aswell. At times I just found myself hammering away at the attack button while reading a mag and still owning everything on screen.

It shouldn't be Stocka you should protect yourself from :mad:

Also, I hate Metroid Prime - Respawning enemies, cumbersome controls, badly placed save points - I couldn't stand it, I know most loved it but I thought it was poor.

I agree with you on everything apart from the controls. And yet, I love MP. It's deep, varied and looks amazing (seeing the snowfall for the first time was an experience)

@thefish- Right on, brother.

I thought eternal darkness was overrated too. It had an involved story, solid graphics and controls, insanity system was awesome. But you spend 90% of your time blundering about looking for an arbitrary item so you can advance, looking for an arbitrary object to press B in front of, or hacking through YET MORE OF THE SAME ENEMIES. *sighs*

Underated Donky Konga 1&2 - one of the greatest multiplayer games ever, up there with all the other greats.

Overated Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - i'll probably be hunted down for this, but let me make this game clear, it was a very good game, just not everything it was hyped up to be.

Underated Donky Konga 1&2 - one of the greatest multiplayer games ever, up there with all the other greats.

Overated Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - i'll probably be hunted down for this, but let me make this game clear, it was a very good game, just not everything it was hyped up to be.

*slams open door

*grabs lazy boy by the collar

ok im kidding, and actually, i agree with you, altho i wouldnt say overrated as it wasnt rated very highly to begin with, it feels like a 7-8/10 kinda game

the problems were from the following things:

-hideo kojima didnt have a huge involvement in it

-it was a remake using the mgs2 engine and thus become very very easy and short

it was a short but sweet collaberation between silicon knights, ryuhei kitamura and nintendo.

not the blockbusters you get straight from hideo kojima.

Underrated:

Sunshine- seriously, people were expecting way too much because of 64. I prefer 64, but this game is VERY fun, one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. The musics are cool, the water effects are the best I've ever seens and the level design is really good. Not to mention that the classic levels rock. Its major faults are the last shines (they suck) and the level themes aren't very varied.

Metroid Prime 2, Eternal Darkness and some RPGs are also very underrated. Can't think of GC overrated games at the moment.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Twin Snakes is also underrated most people say it's crap, I don't see why, but whatever.

I really enjoyed SMSunshine a lot, and even tho many people said it was a very good game, it still got underrated. But it's just my personal opinion. I liked the game, and I was surprised that it didn't get as much succes as Paper Mario 2 for example, which was indeed an amazing game.

Maybe I was so amazed by this one because I never played SM64 until the DS came out...

Luigi's Mansion was a bit overrated if you ask me. It wasn't that challenging, it was short, and the only two battles that I really had to try several times before beating them, was the battle against Boolossus (the big Boo on the balcony) and the final boss, King Boo. I liked the game, but it was a little too short and easy, except of course for those two bosses.

Starfox Adventure was way under rated, I loved it although it was essentially quite simple. I think a lot of people were just expecting a flying game all the time... no!

Under rated also: Burnout (original), Co-op section of RogueSquadron 3, Mortal Combat DA. Spiderman2 a bit.

Over rated: MP2 a bit, Sonic Heroes was just rubbish! As will riders most likely.