N-Europe

NiGHTS Into Dreams

pedrocasilva

Ok... this is what I found browsing the web after hearing the rummor about Yuji Naka leaving Sega:

Interview from October 2000 to the Oficial Dreamcast Magazine (ODM)

Yuji Naka:"I know a lot of people love it and want us to make a sequel.

But for us it's a really important game. Like ET is to Speilberg, he likes it so much he won't remake it.

I don't want to make a new NiGHTS. As soon as we realised this we stopped making it"

ODM: [so] you were making a NiGHTS2?

YN: Yes on the Saturn using the original pad, which you could remove the cable. We had a sensor fitted in and you could control the movement by moving the pad around in the air. We moved the game over to Dreamcast but then Stopped".

In July 2002 he was already changing his opinion:

XenGamers: Will we ever see another Nights game?

Yuji Naka: The GBA Nights game is on display in the E3 Nintendo booth. [until the GBA version] I hadn't seen Nights in a long time, so it was nice seeing it again. Who knows?

In November 2003 for Edge Magazine:

"I see NiGHTS as a licence. When dealing with such a licence from the past it is quite a lot of work, but I would like to use NiGHTS to reinforce Sega's identity, yes."

and...

In a February 2005 interview he stated that a NiGHTS sequel would have to be of perfect quality, so it would take a long time to, in his words, "get it right."

the most interesting part is, infact the first interview... they were thinking up of a solution like NRevolution controller for it... and although Naka was not willing to do a sequel he changed his opinion through the years...

Now... he might leave Sega:

-> http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/18/rumor-yuji-naka-set-to-leave-sega/

Yuji Naka, the original programmer behind Sonic the Hedgehog and arguably the most influential man at Sega (next to Yu Suzuki, of course), is rumored to be leaving Sega.

Citing sources "close to Sega," Next Generation claims that the influential leader "is planning to set up his own studio."

Unfortunately, this kind of rumor is difficult to confirm as you don't know for sure whether someone's leaving a developer until he's actually gone. With all the organizational changes at the company, however (especially since Sammy bought Sega), such a move wouldn't be too surprising.

So... what do you guys think?

If he stayed we might have seen a sequel... and if he leaves? why is he leaving when he showed so much love for sega in the past (he was even saying a NiGHTS game could really define Sega again) could it be because of Shadow the Hedgehood or Sonic Rush?

(Note that Sonic Rush kinda sold crap, while Shadow a pretty shady game sold like hotcakes)

I liek it how he said Speilberg wouldnt redo ET and yet he did. NiGHTS will always be a game that the fans want and like Yuki said if its not done correctly then it shouldnt be done as it would tarnish the series just like what has happened to Sonic.

The Revolution control would be ideal for this game. I have said from the start, well since they announced the control features, that a NiGHTS game would be a perfect fit for the console.

Im actually very interested into seeing were Yuji goes, I couldnt see him leave Sega for any other reason than retirement (I dont know his age, so its a guess, but im sure he's not old at all lol).

Maybe its because SEGA's priority seems to be arcade now and he may disagree, making him consider developing some place else?

NiGHTS would be perfect for Revolution, I have never played it before but i've read about how it plays and it does certainly seem perfect for Revolution. But I could really agree with him if he decides not to make one, its the emotional attachment between him and the game that should be considered.

I liek it how he said Speilberg wouldnt redo ET and yet he did. NiGHTS will always be a game that the fans want and like Yuki said if its not done correctly then it shouldnt be done as it would tarnish the series just like what has happened to Sonic.

The Revolution control would be ideal for this game. I have said from the start, well since they announced the control features, that a NiGHTS game would be a perfect fit for the console.

not only that... but a sequel to NiGHTS was using the concept made possible with Revolution... it like it was... 7 years ahead of it's time...

I didn't knew Spielberg re-made ET, but yeah he's a dolar whore :laughing:

the question is... maybe he was the one stopping Sega all these years from milking out the franchise and making a new NiGHTS on the cheap, if he leaves there's the question... will Sega do it now? Will it be good nonetheless? or should they just... leave it alone?

And if he stays... Will he develop this one?

I thought Sonic Rush would of sold tons,he can't leave ,if he does we gotta hear a decent reason,he can't give up on SEGA make a perfect NiGHTS >.<
The rumors say otherwise, sure they can be fake, but it's possible, I mean... Yuji also loved to make a sequel o Samba de Amigo... but he couldn't... and well... Sega isn't what she used to be.

Right now... a Shadow the Hedgehood sells more than any "high quality" game Sega can develop... he tried hard on quality for Sonic Rush... and still it sold bad while "Sega's Studio USA" made Shadow the Hedgehood who sold tons.

And as some of you might know... there's a huge rivality between the US and Japanese Team, for instance they used the NiGHTS engine for a Sonic... Sonic X-treme for Saturn, without Yuji's consent when he knew... there was a big fuss and they had to leave NiGHTS engine alone and do their themselfes (serves them right)... but yeah, he might have taken it as a personal defeat... Rush being a flop and the Shadow a sucess...

Excellent finds pedro, that first article is very suprising.

Hm it looks like he doesn't like the direction Sega are taking...perhaps he's coming to Nintendo? :wink:

Not Nintendo, but maybe starting of slow with exclusives for Revolution as the other might be a little expensive for a newly founded studio...

Also Yuji is a close friend of Miyamoto and he prefers to develop for Nintendo consoles, so if he really leaves that might be a high possibility, but I don't believe he'll be a in-house developer for Nintendo, if he leaves he must want his own independent studio.

- He is once again asked about NiGHTS and some other games. He says they are his much loved games. They will not be outsourced, they will be done in house if they are ever done. He said they would have to be very careful if they created new games, to make sure they were good.

- They asked him if he’d change anything about Nintendo DS. His response is that the GBA port isn’t needed. He said it would be much more slimline if it wasn’t there.

- He comments on Sonic Vs Mario dream games. He and Miyamoto often talk about it. Uses Sonic appearing in Mario Kart as an example, and says that Sonic wouldn’t need a kart. Clashes like that often lead them to leave it alone. He also says they definately want to do something together but scheduling means they can’t. To paraphrase - when the time is right they’ll do it. He says it would be very easy to put Sonic as a cameo in a Mario game or vice versa, but that he’d rather do a game dedicated to both - like Mario Vs Sonic.

- Any past animosities with Nintendo? He’s very close to Miyamoto and speaks to him regularly. Loves working with Nintendo. As a former hardware maker, SEGA understands what Nintendo does and what they go through.

Source: http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2005/02/15/yuji-naka-interview

Hmmm, so what's Nights like? I've heard great stories about it but due to little Saturns around and dito emulation never played it.

Found a great Saturn emulator a while back that works perfect on all my games with a little slowdown at times mind but other than that its perfect but the website is korean only.

I found the link for it on wikipedia so now I can finally play my Saturn games again... my poor Saturn died... decided it didn’t want to read disks anymore :(

Nights into Dreams is one saturn game i dont own, had a little play of it however at the time of its release and from my impression it was pretty good.

i remember once playing a demo of Nights ... it was really nice to play and it did feel something new, but ( :o ) since it was only a demo.. i only got a lil bit of the boy and girl's levels and hated it when u turned back into the boy and had to collect them whatevers (i played this around about 6-8 years ago so dont remember much) also clockwork something on saturn was a great game.... as well as that street racer thing ... with the sumo and helicopter pilor driving crazy veicles

I never had or never knew much about the old Saturn, I don't know why, it just never hit me as something worth getting, but I have heard loads of good things about Nights, so I'm going to get one off ebay and try it out. I had a look at wikipedia and it seems that there were 2 models in this country, one with 'oval' buttons and one with 'round' buttons. My question is, does this make a difference? Is there something I should try to avoid, or try to get?

• 2 weeks later...

i think this is almost a dead-cert to appear....

using the 'pointer' function of the controller.

however... sega seem to be moving further and further away from being... well... decent. so my hopes are not high.

just what is sonic team doing with sonic?

sonic heroes - average to poor

shadow the hedgehog - awful

sonic riders - wtf?