Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate the last film you saw

Katie

Ah. Without the comma, it both means what I thought, and the exact opposite.

You aren't a fan, just like most other comic fans

and

You aren't a fan, whereas most comic fans are.

I assume the latter now.

To be fair, even with a comma it would still be just as unclear to some people who read the sentance. "unlike" would've cleared up any possible ambiguity.

To be fair, even with a comma it would still be just as unclear to some people who read the sentance. "unlike" would've cleared up any possible ambiguity.

But with Paj's knowledge that it is revered, he would put two and two together.....

"Assumption is the haste of the devil" as they say.

I understood what the dude was saying in the first place :P I also understood that it could be mis-understood. Y'asdfnoabd! This whole discussion shouldn't even exist, it sucks.

I agree, this whole thing isn't needed.

"A tangent of a misunderstood sigh of relief" as the devil says.

The Exorcist

Caught the last hour of this, and i have techically seen it before in full and never reviewed it. I think for its time it was a scary movie, but it isn't remotely scary for me these days. Ok, it can get a little jumpy but thats about it. It's got a good story to it to be fair.

If you see it, the Directors Cut version is the one to go for. It has much more added to it and is jumpyer as it were.

8/10

Amadeus

Having heard this referenced frequently I decided it was about time I gave it a punt. It was so awesome I physically raped the disk in celebration after. Then I watched Last Action hero.

"He sade yoo kellled Motesahrt."

"Who?"

"Motes-ahrrrrt!"

"I dunno Jack, I've killed a lot of people."

Awesome.

Gran Torino

Absolutely fantastic. Really, it's a remarkable film. While the story may initially seem like a load of crap, it soon progresses to being more that an old man toughening up a 'weak' boy. It becomes more about the thawing of an ancient heart who is stuck in his ways and is moving out of them with the death of his wife and the arrival of his new asian neighbours. Yes, there are racial slurs but Eastwood is such a masterful actor that when he utters them you'll never feel guilty for having a grin on your face. It's always done in a tongue-in-cheek way. An really, while the films does showcase some good acting from minor, unknown actors, Eastwood is so commanding in all of his roles that it's hard to not watch him. Even when he isn't doing anything, he has a way of taking and keeping hold of the viewers. A man who's acting resume consists of the trademark gritting of teeth and utterance of words can still produce it now as he could back in his Dirty Harry days and it still has such a forceful nature that you'll be thrown aback by it, like those in the film that cross him.

I won't go on much more about it as it'll sound like I'm gushing over the film, and in a way I am but the film does deserve the praise it gets. I will say though that while the ending may seem a little predictable to some, I didn't think it'd end the way it did (trying not to spoil it for those who haven't seen it and want to see it) and while I'm not the kind of guy who is often emotionally moved by movies, I was really trying hard to hold back tears with not only the events that occurred in the lead up to the end but also with the sentimentality of Walt at the very end of the film. Oh, and that car was one beautiful beast. It's the kind of car I've always wanted since I've become interested in cars and hopefully, one day, I'll be able to get hold of a Gran Torino.

10 out of 10. Seriously, while some may begrudge the score for being a bit high, I truly believe that it's an absolutely fantastic piece of cinematography from a man who can still scare an audience shitless with his trademark gritting of teeth at the age of 78. As a possible farewell to the acting role, the film cements a fine end to what has been fantastic acting career and also continues a fine new career in the form of directing films. If you haven't seen the film, I implore you to watch it. It really is fantastic.

Then I watched Last Action hero.

"He sade yoo kellled Motesahrt."

"Who?"

"Motes-ahrrrrt!"

"I dunno Jack, I've killed a lot of people."

Awesome.

I'm going to have to watch that tonight. I was going to watch A Knight's Tale again [watched it on Sunday], but you've reminded me of this cinematic legend.

Watching Last Action Hero now off this data doovdé from a lan party. I noticed I also have Demolition Man on a similar disc, and tried playing it, but it's one of those things which is about 40 .rar files, but sadly I haven't got the last one, which I found near the end of extraction. Not best pleased.

The movie must be put on pause whilst I watch two hours of Television, but I'll leave it on this:

"IT'S A BAHM!"

My to-watch pile stands at;

Falling Down

Run Lola Run

A Beautiful Mind

Stigmata

I've not read the backs of any, though I know the very rough gists of Stigmata and Run Lola Run. I'm not really in the mood for a film like ABM either, I expect..

WHICH SHOULD I WATCH?!

Run Lola Run :) or Falling Down, tbh. Both better than the other two. I'd say Falling Down because the film starts off in that what's-going-on-here sorta intriguing way, which should hook you for the rest of the movie.

Yeah, Falling Down it is then. It's the one I'm most in the mood for, as I imagine the Scarlett Johanssen version of the Tom Waits song playing whenever I think about the DVD cover.

Reservoir Dogs

My curry night choice of movie. And a damn good one in face. Only the second time seeing this, still as good as i remember it being.

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite"

9.5/10

Dare I say it....

I haven't watched Total Recall.

Someone else get this guy a copy.

Total Recall on ebay for £3.99. Bargain Coolness.

Edited by Jimbob

There Will Be Blood

Made me think. What is the point in money, if you never use it to buy anything?

What is the point of being alive if you cannot connect with anyone (by being deaf)?

I'll have to watch it again in my future, since I was talking throughout with my friend, who has just come back from Australia.

I hate desert-y landscapes. And dirty people.

And destitution.

8/10

Falling Down

Loved it. I love that in the end, what did he actually do seriously wrong, that wasn't some over-the-top version of self-defence/right to protect oneself or whatever?

Questioning life/society.

8/10

X-Men

I was in the mood, after researching the Statue Of Liberty for art. Not as good as the second one, but better than the third. Still the first "adult" film I saw at the cinema (yeah it's a 12, but I was 8 at the time, and wanted to see it so badly). And Famke is lovely.

For whatever reason, for both times Magneto and Storm are floating, they're standing really awkwardly and uncool-ly. They just look stupid. Easily avoidable.

7.7/10

The third one was a big shame, personally I think its got the best fight in all three movies with the team squaring off against Magneto and the rest of the brotherhood but most other things in the movie just didnt work.

I don't like the final fight. It feels...somehow empty and cheap. Just loads of Toad rip-offs. I think a big part is the lack of Cyclops and Prof.X, their demises handled rubbishly. Prof was ok, but Cyclops was shit. I don't care if he wasn't available, it tarnished the film.

The second one is perfect though. Excellent and full of substance the whole way through.

I'll agree with all the toad rip offs, that definately felt cheap but I think that fight had more of an epic feel to it. Seeing the teams square up against eachother.

Thinking about it, there werent many, if any team fights in the previous movies. That might be why I prefer it, they are a team so we should have been seeing more of that than just single members or a couple together.

Watchmen

I really wish I'd read it before I watched it, but I'll read it now; not least because I need the ideas churning in my head to become clearer; from what most say the film didn't capture the depth of the comic. I think it did go from absolutely fantastic to disappointingly mediocre towards the end. The opening fight and credits were excellent, I loved Rorschach; his diary dialogue and narration was sublime and of course I loved the moral mind mess that is Veidt's decision to make an idealistic yet deformed world (to quote Dan). Some scenes were stunning and alot of the dialogue too, which I'm guessing came directly from the comic.

Like someone said though, there was far too much concentration on exploring pointless character details and when the explosions were killing millions; I didn't feel attached to it, which is so wrong. I was going to say that silk spectre II was completely wooden but apparently in the comic she's a bit bland so it was good casting after all. Again Rorschach was brilliant, I thought the emotion he conveyed at the end was perfect, he was also brilliant with the Dr showing him the inkblot cards and in the prison scenes; he was the film's best asset for me. Oh, the music; you only have to play 99 red balloons once to win my heart.

Bitter sweet/10

Edited by Molly