NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Really great.

It has a great Clint Mansell score. It got a bit depressing in some parts and was maybe a bit slow in others but overall, a wonderful film.

8/10

Wait, Clint Mansell scored it?? Maan I need to see it... too bad all the cinemas around me refuse to show anything vaguely interesting :(

The Departed

This did not deserve the best picture oscar it got, that's for sure. It's a solid movie, but that's it. The first 30 minutes were utterly tedious and could have been covered in about 10 minutes without losing any of the story. After that, it slowly improved until it reached it's peak at the very end. Decaprio was very good, but his acting could only take the frankly boring script (in places) so far. I'm making it sound like it's a terrible movie, when it's not, it's still a pretty competent film. It's just utterly disappointing, considering I expected some masterpeice after seeing the reviews at the time of it's release.

I did love the main woman though, she was kind of refreshing everytime she was on screen. Plus, the ending was fantastic because it was completely unexpected which was a nice suprise.

8 (I was debating whether or not to give it just less than an 8, an I'm still not sure tbh)

Edited by Slaggis

Wait, Clint Mansell scored it?? Maan I need to see it... too bad all the cinemas around me refuse to show anything vaguely interesting :(

Yeah, I had no idea until I saw his name in the opening credits. I don't think it is his best score but it's still pretty damn good.

It's up on Spotify if you want to give it a listen.

Clint Mansell for president. (of music)

Agreed. I want him to do the score to my biopic. :heh:

---

intothewild.jpg

I love and hate Alexander Supertramp. Either way, I really just wish he had a bit more common sense.

8/10

...I seem to be giving everything 8/10 recently. Ah well!

Edited by Daft

The Departed

This did not deserve the best picture oscar it got, that's for sure. It's a solid movie, but that's it. The first 30 minutes were utterly tedious and could have been covered in about 10 minutes without losing any of the story. After that, it slowly improved until it reached it's peak at the very end. Decaprio was very good, but his acting could only take the frankly boring script (in places) so far. I'm making it sound like it's a terrible movie, when it's not, it's still a pretty competent film. It's just utterly disappointing, considering I expected some masterpeice after seeing the reviews at the time of it's release.

*Tuts*

I remember thinking the Departed was amazing when I watched it, though I can't remember why I thought it was so great. I need to rewatch...

Yeah, I had no idea until I saw his name in the opening credits. I don't think it is his best score but it's still pretty damn good.

It's up on Spotify if you want to give it a listen.

---

I love and hate Alexander Supertramp. Either way, I really just wish he had a bit more common sense.

8/10

...I seem to be giving everything 8/10 recently. Ah well!

Listening now, pretty good score by the sounds of things. It's amazing how easily a good score can improve a film.

And Into the Wild's a great film, and speaking of soundtracks the Eddie Vedder soundtrack is pretty good (And Kaki King helped with teh recording, trivia fans!)

Alexander Supertramp is a bit of a fool yeah. Interesting guy though, I read the book, he's a bit more of a nutter than the film made out. Good read too.

High Fidelity

Awesome!! Some of the music references were lost on me (lots of 80s music and such) which makes me look forward to 10 years or so, when references will be about music from the 00s. But yeahse, John Cusak is at his best, amusing narration and such, and I love the film's obsession with lists and mixtapes. And Jack Black, who often annoys me, cracked me up as well. Can't thin of any negatives. Go watch yo!

10 / 10

Man, I need to watch High Fidelity again. Cracking ace film!

"Is that...Peter fucking Frampton!" :laughing:

Before Night Falls

I had no idea this had Johnny Depp in, until I saw an "inmate" dressed as a woman and thought "Omg, that's not is it?".

Anyway! It's the story of Reinaldo Arenas (played by Javier Bardem) and takes us through his life right up to the point of his death due to AIDS. He's born in Cuba, and and due to the massive amounts of oppression and supposed "revolution" there at the time he was alive, the fact he's both a writer and a homosexual means he's basically...fucked. Anyone against the political policies at the time are sent to prison, and people are urged to turn in homosexuals who are "desperate to infect the youth of cuba". Some of the moments in the movie are horrifically degrading, it's terrible to think people actually went through this. Things like having to state his sexuality, state his favourite sexual positions and then walk in a homosexual manner to prove to a passport officer that he is indeed, gay. Then with people being arrested for reading poetry in groups because it might come across as homosexual, or it could be propaganda against the state.

Anyway, the acting was fantastic, it's no wonder he almost got an oscar for it. I was fascinated throughout, and intend to buy the dvd asap.

Edited by Slaggis

Man, I need to watch High Fidelity again. Cracking ace film!

"Is that...Peter fucking Frampton!" :laughing:

"If you've just joined us, we're with Tracy Jordan, who is giving guitar icon Peter Frampton enigmatic clues about a secret treasure. Stay with us."

Wait...wrong medium, but it sprang to mind :p

Anyway. Film.

Ponyo [on the cliff by the sea]

Not as grandiose as Spirited Away and Howl's but more like old school Miyazaki, just a charming easy going visually appealing film with some quirky and delightful moments.

Although being used to SA and HMC the ending was a bit "...that's it?" I expected them to defeat Ponyo's father in some way but nah.

And also, if chicken-armed Ponyo ever came at me I'd be fucking scared.

Also made me realise that while im happy being cantankerous now I want to be one of those old people that see the world in a positive light. The miserable old lady annoyed me :heh:

Arbitrary high number/10

Beautiful Thing

Channel 4 movie from the mid 90's about two teenagers boys on an estate that fall in love. One of them has an abusive father, and the other has an utterly insane but lovely mum. It comes across as completely realistic, rather than some dramatised version of what might actually happen which is a nice change. The slaggy girl that livs next door was hilarious, especially when she's high on some drug and is impersonating an old singer. I was laughing so much.

The Golden Compass

Tripe. Complete and utter tripe. No more please.

The only pro I can remember from this film was Sir Ian McKellen as the polar bear king.

The only pro I can remember from this film was Sir Ian McKellen as the polar bear king.

The settings and effects were spot-on.

Beautiful Thing

Channel 4 movie from the mid 90's about two teenagers boys on an estate that fall in love. One of them has an abusive father, and the other has an utterly insane but lovely mum. It comes across as completely realistic, rather than some dramatised version of what might actually happen which is a nice change. The slaggy girl that livs next door was hilarious, especially when she's high on some drug and is impersonating an old singer. I was laughing so much.

Sounds like 'My Beautiful Laundrette not set in a Laundrette' :heh:

(MBL is a really naff film while we're I'm on about it)

Agreed, I watched that a year or so ago and remember being utterly bored throughout. But it's not, honestly. It was rather good in the way it portrayed the story, and came across so much more *can't think of the word* than mbl did.

Borat

I thought I'd enjoy this a lot since I adored Borat but, if I was honest, this was nowhere near as funny as Borat. Was still funny though and some of the lines made me laugh. "Zat is such a Samantha thing to say!" lmao. Oh and that woman in the trailer screaming "WHAT!" still had me in stitches because I know someone who used to do that and it reminded me of when she did it, haha.

8/10

The Hangover

This, for me, was better than Borat. It had me crying of laughter. Just genius.

9/10

Brideshead Revisited

I expected something completely different to what I got. I got bored numerours times throughout watching, and the only thing that kept me interesting was the fact the guy that played Charles (Matthew Goode) had the most amazing eyes/oddly attractive face. There were some interesting moments throughout, but they never managed to keep that interesting there and instead wavered into utterly boring territory. By the end, I felt as though nothing of worth had actually happened in the movie and was left with...nothing.

Get Real

I'm going through watching these independent movies with gay storylines involved, and I expected this to be just another average one. I was totally wrong. British movie makers seem to find it so much easier to make a realistic movie about coming out and falling for someone than Americsn film makers do, who instead often dramatise it to the point of making it so totally cliche and over the top that though fun to watch, comes across as utterly fake. Anyway, I loved the story, and the way they both somehow managed to hide what they felt for each other until his big speach at the end infront of his school mates. The only thing that annoyed me was how he stayed with the guy even though he was an utter dick at points. But then, I suppose that happens.

Borat

I thought I'd enjoy this a lot since I adored Borat but, if I was honest, this was nowhere near as funny as Borat. Was still funny though and some of the lines made me laugh. "Zat is such a Samantha thing to say!" lmao. Oh and that woman in the trailer screaming "WHAT!" still had me in stitches because I know someone who used to do that and it reminded me of when she did it, haha.

8/10

For me, it was the ending where the titanic music kicked in and they basically begun having sex infront of massive of utterly homophobic bigots. I loved that to death, and couldn't breathe for about 30 seconds I was laughing so much. Plus the "Being attacked by a gay person is like being attacked by a terroist". I've never been so offended and yet struck with such an urge to burst into a fit of laughter in my entire life. Loved it.

The Hangover

Really just a great laugh. So many random things in it, but things with which if you've ever been hungover, you ffel like you can identify with!

The china-man leaping out of the car boot had me in fits of laughter!

9/10

Terminator Salvation 6.5/10

I really enjoyed this film for its action etc, but the plot was a bit too segmented, it didn't have a lot of focus. And afterwards I realised something which really bugged me:

Skynet came up with a 15 year plan, which involved the ultimate infiltrator, worked perfectly to trap John Connor, and the endgame of their plan was: "put one standard terminator in a room"? Why not put 10 terminators in a room? Or just put a bomb there.... At least give the terminator a gun! Stupid.

For me, it was the ending where the titanic music kicked in and they basically begun having sex infront of massive of utterly homophobic bigots. I loved that to death, and couldn't breathe for about 30 seconds I was laughing so much. Plus the "Being attacked by a gay person is like being attacked by a terroist". I've never been so offended and yet struck with such an urge to burst into a fit of laughter in my entire life. Loved it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about to mention the titanic part, that was hilarious. And the whole 'karate with dildos' made me LOL as well, haha.

Skynet came up with a 15 year plan, which involved the ultimate infiltrator, worked perfectly to trap John Connor, and the endgame of their plan was: "put one standard terminator in a room"? Why not put 10 terminators in a room? Or just put a bomb there.... At least give the terminator a gun! Stupid.

It's the worst trap ever - lure him into your base and send one terminator at him when there are thousands that probably aren't doing much in the base.

And why did they need to keep Kyle alive? Nobody actually saw him between him getting picked up and then rescued...if they want to kill him then they should just kill him.

Speaking of Kyle - Why the fuck is John shouting out the big secret about his whole existence to everyone!? (and on a less important point - the human terminator didn't seem bothered that John's dad was a teenager, despite knowing nothing about time travel existing).

For a film they seemed to be about bringing John and Kyle together, it really didn't feel like they had any connection whatsoever. I always thought that the war brought them together, and not John constantly whining about where his dad is.

The new Nightmare on Elm Street remake has got a date: April 30th 2010. The cast look pretty promising to me anyways and Jackie Earl Haley (Watchmen) is Freddy! He looks right for the role in my opinion.

This is one remake I actually have hopes for and a remake I actually can't wait to see. It's going to be interesting if they keep the scary theme or whether they'll go for the silly theme.

http://www.nightmareonelmstreet.com

It's the worst trap ever - lure him into your base and send one terminator at him when there are thousands that probably aren't doing much in the base.

And why did they need to keep Kyle alive? Nobody actually saw him between him getting picked up and then rescued...if they want to kill him then they should just kill him.

Speaking of Kyle - Why the fuck is John shouting out the big secret about his whole existence to everyone!? (and on a less important point - the human terminator didn't seem bothered that John's dad was a teenager, despite knowing nothing about time travel existing).

For a film they seemed to be about bringing John and Kyle together, it really didn't feel like they had any connection whatsoever. I always thought that the war brought them together, and not John constantly whining about where his dad is.

Can someone explain to me how skynet new about kyle reece in the first place? At that particular time. There is no record of who John Conners dad is, John had yet to become this 'great military leader' Yet skynet seemed to target Kyle.

Couldn't agree more on the whole 1 terminator trap. Unless at that moment they were cocky to think their 'new' (again for that particular time) T-800 was up to the job since they have just been using T-600's.

So confusing.

I liked it, personally. But I'm a big Hanif Kureshi fan so...

Bedtime Stories

Nothing special. Somewhat watchable but there's no laughs to be had and if you've seen the trailer, you've basically seen all the moments that come true in real life from that. Better off putting a Disney Pixar or Classic DVD on instead.

Death Sentence

Kevin Bacon stars as a normal father who seeks revenge after his favourite son is murdered by a gang. Sounds like your usual revenge flick, but just like Taken, having a good older actor in the lead makes it so much better. Some high quality set-pieces with OTT gore also.