NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Definitely, Maybe.

So much better than the usual romantic comedy, though this leaned more to the romantic/drama side than a comedy. As usual, Isla Fisher was a joy to watch. I love her as an actress, she just comes across as so genuine, and warm. Reynolds was better than usual too, and fitted the role well. I loved how it was set up, with him telling his daughter the story of who her mother actually is (using fake names, as she already knows her, just not which love she was) out of the three loves of his life.

The ending almost got me too. Just a really nice film.

On the big screen

Bruno

Well what has to be said that everyone else has said about the movie, I liked it, and find it just as good as Borat, so not upset about it at all.

7/10

On DVD

Commando

God, no matter how many times I watch this movie, I just can't get enough of it :D

8/10

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I've waited an irratatingly long time for this film - since the book. Considering the book happens to be my favourite of the seven. So when I finally got to see it I ended up crazily disappointed regardless of the trailers I saw.

Important parts were missed and instead the director decided the relationships were more important than the story, now I know things get alittle heated with everybody in the book but there's more to the book than that.

I think my opinion is over-shadowed by the book, but in my eyes they could have made more effort.

Oh and dumbledores death?! Its supposed to be one the biggest things in all the books/films and it just seemed really, plain.

Overall I don't know if I'd go to see it again, parts were added, the bridge scene was awful and generally it didn't do much for me.

Looking at it as just a film without the book behind it, it was actually quite good. But alas..

6/10

Oh and dumbledores death?! Its supposed to be one the biggest things in all the books/films and it just seemed really, plain.

I've not seen it yet, but is it as bad as

Sirius' death? But then again the way he died in the book was shit to begin with.

I've not seen it yet, but is it as bad as

Sirius' death? But then again the way he died in the book was shit to begin with.

Not particularly, I mean the aftermath was nice and quite something but the actual bit was awful.

The Notebook

Sweet jesus, the last 15 minutes had me crying like a total bitch. That was so freaking sad! I loved the story, and didn't once get even vaguely bored watching it, which I assumed I would considering it's utterly romantic. Genuinely heart-warming, especially the very ending.

Galaxy Quest

I do find it amazing that when I first saw this movie, I didnt really think much of it. The more ive watched it over the years though the more ive grown to love it. All the little touches in it are brilliant.

8/10

10 minutes of Transformers 2

Looks a bit more entertaining than the first. More screaming and "SAM!" "OMG!" and "NOOOOOOO".

Don't plan on actually seeing it though.

moonposterbig.jpg

Really great.

I loved the interplay between the clones; how they were the same person but different. It's a really interesting idea that if you objectified yourself you'd possibly be more prone to looking after yourself or appreciating yourself. Little things like when he asks for a handshake or when he puts the woolly the other clone were touching.

It has a great Clint Mansell score. It got a bit depressing in some parts and was maybe a bit slow in others but overall, a wonderful film.

8/10

Borat

This suprised me, as it wasn't full of trash comedy as I expected. Some hillarious scenarios, my favourite being the dining society.

Man: I'm, er... recently retired...

Borat: You are a retard?

:grin:

Also, my favourite Michael Bay film, The Rock is on BBC1 tonight. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Also, my favourite Michael Bay film, The Rock is on BBC1 tonight.

Having to pick your favourite Michael Bay film is a bit like having to pick your favourite STD though.

Bruno

Amazing. Some of it had me at the point where I couldn't breathe, I loved it. The ending segment, where the titantic theme tune kicks in as he rolls around with his love Hanz in a cage fighting arena whilst the crowd scream and throw chairs at them was fucking incredible.

When he was interviewing the parents of babies about featuring them in an advert, I was stunned. That woman that was like "My baby can be around heavey machinery, she can be dressed up like a nazi. It's fine!" I just sat there like "OMG". Then the "Being attacked by a gay man is like being attacked by a terroist" line. I've never been so offended and yet humoured at the same time, it was brilliant. Oh! And then "That is SUCH a samantha thing to say" line. AMAZING.

Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince

It was a little slower than the other movies, but still very enjoyable. I love the experience of going to see the movies at the cinema, especially because I've grown up watching them. I've only read a couple of books, and have managed to not know everything that happens, so whatever happens in them is usally a genuine suprise for me. I liked the pacing, though I wish there had been more of Hermione in it! I love Emma Watson, she's just so easy to warm to when on screen. Still, with what they were saying, there should hopefully be a lot more interaction between the main three characters in the coming two movies.

I'm just amazed they've managed to keep the quality up for so many movies.

Does The Rock feature helicopters, military and explosions? Oh, and a shivering camera man?

The Rock is fucking awesome.

The greatest wrestler ever. :bowdown: He was also pretty awesome in Welcome to the Jungle and The Game Plan. Both pretty good 8/10 films. Not brilliant, but enjoyable nontheless. :grin:

Oh, wait. You meant the film with Sean Connery and Nic Cage? :woops:

Nah, I don't like that film too much. :blank:

gran-torino-poster.jpg

Glorious. Incredibly funny at some points, insightful at others.

8/10

Watched a fair few today when my cousins came around:

Haunting In Connecticut - was alrite i guess. wanted more scares tbh. wasn't scary enough for me. 5/10

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - loved this movie the first time around, still like it upon second viewing. Funny funny movie. 8/10

Madagascar 2 - probably around the third time i watched it, still enjoy it. Still love that scene with giraffe and hippo. 7.8/10

Madagascar 2 - probably around the third time i watched it, still enjoy it. Still love that scene with giraffe and hippo. 7.8/10

Saw this the other day, I thought it was ok; SBC's lemur made me chuckle a few times, I enjoyed things like ''Oh, suddenly throwing a giraffe into a volcano to make water is crazy?''.

Requiem for a dream

requiem_for_a_dream.jpg

A beautiful tale about addiction. The film was bleak and unsettling and vaguely disturbing not visually but psychologically. The final ten minutes of the movie is intense and the music is just wonderful. :grin:

9/10 :D(6 and a half Bears out of 7)

Does The Rock feature helicopters, military and explosions? Oh, and a shivering camera man?

Yes, yes, yes, no.

I watched... Brokeback Mountain!

Really touching/10.

Requiem for a dream

requiem_for_a_dream.jpg

A beautiful tale about addiction. The film was bleak and unsettling and vaguely disturbing not visually but psychologically. The final ten minutes of the movie is intense and the music is just wonderful. :grin:

9/10 :D(6 and a half Bears out of 7)

One of the best films I've ever seen. Also one of my favourites. It's just brilliant.

The Rock is fucking awesome.

I was sooo excited to see The Rock on TV last night. I remember loving it as a kid. But my god, its full of cheesy one liners and cliché bullshit. I had to turn it off. :mad:

Trick

Story about a guy that writes musicals, has a frankly insane best friend and is desperate to meet a guy that's actually...normal. Followed him over a 24 hour or so period for most of the movie as he met a guy and all the troubles that occur during the night after doing so. It started oddly, but got pretty funny before it ended really, really nicely. Genuinley sweet, if not a little neurotic in places mostly due to the best friend and her hilarious outburst about lesbians and New Jersey. A nice little independent movie.

Erink Brockovich

Always meant to watch this, but have never got round to it. But I've been doing a "Watch a feel good movie, and then watch something oscar nominatied" and I figured this went under both those catagories so I decided to finally watch it. I loved every minute, and the struggle she went through to get the compensation for those people was amazing to watch due to Roberts brilliant performance throughout the movie. Her speech to the lawyers in the board room had me smiling so much, it was incredible.

Edited by Slaggis

The Watchmen

Maybe it's because I haven't read the novel but I found this so-so. There were some cool bits, basically Dr. Manhattan blowing things up and Rorschach, but there seemed to be quite a lot of filler and I found it hard at times to understand what was going on because the film kept flipping between what was the present and many instances in the past. I understand that converting the novel to the big screen is one of the most difficult tasks any director could be tasked with but the idea with good film making is to make sure that the viewer can understand what is going on for the majority of the film, with perhaps a twist or 2 to change things up. The constant fluctuation of the timeline in the story made for difficult viewing, I felt and while I did get most of it in the end, there were still bits I didn't get because the storytelling was poor.

Seeing this without reading the novel was probably a good and a bad idea. It was a good idea because it would allow me to enjoy the film for what it was but a bad idea because I didn't know the characters or their stories or the general story. Perhaps it was just the way in which I viewed it, with my brother being slightly too noisy on the computer. Perhaps I'll enjoy it on another viewing. But as it is, it was so-so.

6 out of 10