NEurope
Katie

Rate the last film you saw

Sherlock Holmes

I look forward to a sequel with much anticipation!

9/10

I hope so because that's all the first film is; a big mediocre set up to a presumably more interesting sequel.

Up

Described this as 1 half amazing Pixar, and 1 half average Dreamworks when I first saw it, but I was wrong, it's 100% Pixar Gold. Everything about this film is just beautiful.

Paradise Falls/10

Zulu

Can't belive it's taken me so long to see this classic. T'was amazing. Great characters, action, dialogue, direction, and performances. Stanley Baker should be getting his name tied with Zulu more so in the public's eye than Michael Caine also.

9/10

Gangs of New York

Terrific beginning, great middle but the ending was lacking. Many excellent moments throughout, but I didn't enjoy it that much.

6/10

Frost/Nixon

A well performed and intresting film, but I was expecting a bit more 'suspense' and I still think Michael Sheen has a boring face.

7/10

Up

Described this as 1 half amazing Pixar, and 1 half average Dreamworks when I first saw it, but I was wrong, it's 100% Pixar Gold. Everything about this film is just beautiful.

Paradise Falls/10

I'm glad to see you have reformed your ways. :p

I Love You, Beth Cooper

Blah, not very good. Almost made me Cringe. Towel whipping fights are always good. Needed more Cows. Hayden wasn't that annoying and the main character looked like an Ugly younger version of Sean Penn when the camera was directly pointing from his chin upwards.

4/10

Sherlock Holmes

I always thought it would be good since seeing the first trailer, and, whilst I never got round to seeing it in the cinema, I was damn right. Downey and Law were both excellent, and Holmes' mannerisms suitably true to the books. Both the explanatory flashbacks (especially the chasing of his ex) and the planning of his attacks were very nicely done, and the fight scenes were generally excellent. My only two quibbles would be the lack of a 3rd fight-plan (expect one was planned for the Chinese guy in the cellars at the end, but cut due to it being too long), and they got from the Houses of Parliament to Tower Bridge all too fast for my liking. All in all a damn good film, and I would write more, but it's just gone 3am, so I'd better not.

I look forward to a sequel with much anticipation!

9/10

Sorry, I kinda LOL'd when you said Law was excellent. I found him to be as dull as watching paint dry tbh...

Jesus fucking christ, a 9? Are you serious? o.O

This!

About A Boy - 6/10

Didn't like this one as much as I had hoped I would. On it's own everything works pretty well. My main problem comes from what it chose to adapt and ignore from the novel, the whole Nirvana thing the book had going on (as well as the early mid 90s in general) was completely ignored. The ending was also changed for the worse and the character of Ellie was more or less reduced to an extra. I much preferred the book.

Jesus fucking christ, a 9? Are you serious? o.O

I liked it! It was interesting throughout, and genuinely entertaining. So the fuck what?

Sorry, I kinda LOL'd when you said Law was excellent. I found him to be as dull as watching paint dry tbh...

Have you read the books? I though he made a rather excellent young Dr. Watson.

Edge of Darkness

Abysmal. Actually one of the worst films I've ever seen. I sat there and didn't have a clue what was going on half the time. Plus Mel Gibson really needs to find another job.

About A Boy - 6/10

Didn't like this one as much as I had hoped I would. On it's own everything works pretty well. My main problem comes from what it chose to adapt and ignore from the novel, the whole Nirvana thing the book had going on (as well as the early mid 90s in general) was completely ignored. The ending was also changed for the worse and the character of Ellie was more or less reduced to an extra. I much preferred the book.

It is a very watch-able flick but it annoyed me a lot that halfway trough they just went:

"Remember the whole rite of passage into manhood the novel is pretty much about? Fuck it."

About A Boy - 6/10

What's perhaps more of a shame is that I never read the book after watching the film. Sounds like I should read it anyway.. I am a bit of a Hornby fan and all.

Up in the Air, on the other hand, was so good that I bought the book.

I thought that

it was getting a bit shit but then when Clooney's character turned up at that woman's door to find she had a family and a husband, it was suddenly like, ooohhh nice, nice. Avoided the crushingly sentimental ending nicely

I very much enjoyed anyhoo

Also watched Thank You for Smoking which was also good. Having done Juno, Up in the Air and Thank You for Smoking, the director is pretty much the man. Wasn't really sure what to think of the main character by the end. Interesting stuff.

Hitch

Will Smith stars as the "date advisor" who is out to help people meet those who they love. A decent movie, great story with it. Ok, i was a little dissapointed in places but hey, can't be happy all the time can i??

8.5/10

Youth In Revolt

I didn't really know how good this was going to be. I thought it would rang somewhere between "Meh" and "RLY GOOD" but I actually really loved it. Michael Cera is excellent in it. Great characters, and although its not a constant stream of humour, some of it had me in tears. <3

9/10 TBH.

I heard two chicks from one group of people. One chick said "I didn't really understand it" I think this might be because occasionally there are big words (words of 3 or more sylables) and the second was amazing.....I erupted in a shower of disbelief...she said "I thought they were twins"

Most ignorant statements I've ever heard.

Youth In Revolt

I didn't really know how good this was going to be. I thought it would rang somewhere between "Meh" and "RLY GOOD" but I actually really loved it. Michael Cera is excellent in it. Great characters, and although its not a constant stream of humour, some of it had me in tears. <3

9/10 TBH.

I heard two chicks from one group of people. One chick said "I didn't really understand it" I think this might be because occasionally there are big words (words of 3 or more sylables) and the second was amazing.....I erupted in a shower of disbelief...she said "I thought they were twins"

Most ignorant statements I've ever heard.

I snorted in the cinema, it was really embarrassing. But it was a very funny moment. So therefore, worth it.

The Road

Rock solid adaptation of McCarthy's bleak novel. Hillcoat should get an oscar for the stunning detail of the dying world he's created. Mortensen delivers another knock out performance too- emaciated, worn and filthy, he looks and acts the pure survivor. The Boy, too, is genuinely good. He delivers a naturalistic performance that really convinces. The two of them together really carry the theme of the novel on to the screen too, with their relationship as father and son, teacher and student really feeling fully formed.

Me and Jayseven agreed, however, that there was perhaps something missing. Perhaps it's that the book conveys only a haunting silence in the world while Hillcoat includes storms, falling timbers and firestorms throughout. The music, too, haunting and mournful as it is, still brings a humanity to a landscape expressly devoid of any. The film was also too short or too focused to fully convey the drudgery of their scavengers life. The book brilliantly conveys their desperate routine, with events coming slow and far between. The film feels compressed by comparison and less effective.

It's still a real achievement and a must see. They really pulled it off. Considering how bad it could have been, it's pretty much a perfect adaptation.

What's perhaps more of a shame is that I never read the book after watching the film. Sounds like I should read it anyway.. I am a bit of a Hornby fan and all.

You should give it a try. I only bought it on impulse because I saw it for £2 in WHSmith and I enjoyed it a lot, plus it's a very easy read. There was a section of about 10 pages where I was just grinning like a complete idiot constantly. I think I preferred 'A Long Way Down', but still.

Superman : The Movie

Stars Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman. Some of his finest work i must say indeed. Wasn't sure what version of the movie to watch (as there are 2 in the box), so i watched the original 144 minute version (1978). Made me wonder when Superman turns back time to save Lois, where did the other missile get to? We know he stopped one.

10/10

When i get round to watching Superman II, i'll be watching both versions (original and the Donner cut) to compare them and to see which version i prefer.

I snorted in the cinema, it was really embarrassing. But it was a very funny moment. So therefore, worth it.

Haha! Yes! I'm not gonna lie that was amazing. BUT I burped like twice, really embarrassingly at two quiet bits. (I'm not just a sicko folk....It was one of the unavoidable gas build up burps)

Good thing the "Trailer-Sshhher" wasn't in there. He'd have had our guts for garters.

I went to the Cinema by myself today (which is underated) because my friend didn't want to see these:

Warning: Possible spoilers ahead for both movies.

The Princess and the Frog.

the-princess-and-the-frog-poster.jpg

The Princess and the Frog was disappointing for me. :) I had HIGH expectations for this. The story was fairly weak, I thought the initial premise was quite good but it didn't go anywhere. The characters were not that likeable. They were okay but they lacked depth which means I wasn't bothered about what they were doing. Although the whole evening star aspect I enjoyed. Prince Naveen was meant to be charming but was just annoying but not in the loveable way.

The animation was lush and very colourful and the songs were whimsical enough. =] It was still pretty good but lacked that old disney shine. There wasn't really any sense of adventure in the whole thing.

I have to say the main villian was the best part of the movie but I felt his motives needed to be...DARKER or different. okay so he wanted to dominate/rule the town but his plan was a bit meh. He was more evil than that and he never got to do anything interesting. :p There wasn't any real sense of threat or danger. I loved his connection to the other side which was nicely explored but it all ended suddenly.

Children's movies have gotten weak these days bring back the Hunchback of Notre Dame! FIRE HELL FIRE!

6.5/10

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Lightening Thief.

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-the-lightning-thief-poster.jpg

I went in expecting full on Lulz. :heh:

I was pleasantly surprised. :o

Percy and the lightening Boys, was pretty good actually.

Cheesy in places and still laughable. Also I predicted the ending before within the first 20 minutes BUT if I was younger I probably wouldn't have guessed the twist so easily. It still has the usual high school/teenager/school for "magic" people aspect to it but they didn't focus on that. It was all very tight and compact. I liked the ending in terms of the last scene. (nothing special) The end was a bit lame and at least it didn't get lamer. I felt it was all wrapped up too quickly after the adventure i'd been taken on.

Film needed more Sean Bean, for serious.

Plus Steve Coogan as Hades who thought that up? XD That was funny but he looked slightly out of place, I think that was the point though. mix things up a bit and not have a menacing evil.

Half Goat Blackman was cool, I approve.

Throw in some basics of Greek Mythology which I enjoyed and you have yourself some brainless fun for 2 hours.

Didn't realise it was a book first. Apparently it changed it completely so people are UP IN ARMS!

6/10

Edited by Coolness Bears

Superman : The Movie

Stars Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent/Superman. Some of his finest work i must say indeed. Wasn't sure what version of the movie to watch (as there are 2 in the box), so i watched the original 144 minute version (1978). Made me wonder when Superman turns back time to save Lois, where did the other missile get to? We know he stopped one.

10/10

When i get round to watching Superman II, i'll be watching both versions (original and the Donner cut) to compare them and to see which version i prefer.

you''ll prefer the donner cut :D I don't believe he attacks enemies with his logo in that cut.

princess and the frog:

Considering what friends are saying and the like it's a bit overated. I liked it it was fun but it'S NOT a patch on the early 90's films. It's more on par with the crap 80's ones like Oliver and company but at least that had memorable music and it's not as good as little mermaid and fox and the hound.

oh sigh it's grand

7/10

Edited by mcj metroid

The Princess & The Frog

It felt non-classic, but had some stunning elements. I love the setting, and the way her friend Charlotte was animated. It felt really fluid, or something. I also found the firefly and his little story moving. The music wasn't amazing lyrics wise, but I loved the general "south"ness of it.

I liked the use of Voodoo, though Doctor Facilier felt a bit unoriginal.

It was fine though. Enjoyable/nice.

6.875/10

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion

Completely shallow, funny and easy to watch and it doesnt pretend otherwise Watch at least once in your life/10

Moon

It's my first viewing of this, and the first thing I have to say is that this is great film-making. A true Science Fiction film.

Do not read the spoilers unless you have seen this...

Ok...where do we start?!

It's a nice little mystery in space. The interaction between Sam Rockwell and...Sam Rockwell makes the film. You do find yourself a bit in the dark, but you gradually move towards the light and things begin to make sense. The dialogues between Sam and Sam were well written. I loved how Sam 6 was considerably more angry than Sam 5, and how through the conversation, we learn that the original Sam also started out this way. Angry, especially towards his wife, but through time began to mellow. The wife's video-log where she explains that the distance has been good for them...very clever. Great storytelling.

Kevin Spacey was superb in this. I'm glad he just didn't turn into a Hal rip-off that killed all the huuuumans. Over the 15/18+ years that GERTY spent on the station, he had become more humane and developed an affection for Sam. I absolutely loved that. Artificial Intelligence becoming sentient. The little moments, such as when GERTY helps Sam with the password, or puts a hand on his back to offer comfort. It's just all superb.

Lastly, the soundtrack and visuals are very, very memorable. I've had some of the soundtrack playing whilst the female has been at work, and the surface of the Moon looks particularly haunting. It's a film that makes you feel very uneasy, and as it goes by, you begin to feel empathy with the characters. Suddenly, it stops being a "space movie" and becomes a film where we try to discover what it means to be human or unique.

I love films such as this. On my first viewing, I'm going to give it an 8.5/10.

The reason I haven't given it more despite such a glowing review is that I want to see how it holds up on repeated viewings. I believe that there are other little nice touches that I didn't see first time around. It is very much a nod towards classic Science Fiction, but I believe that if this film holds up well during repeated viewings, it could be called a Classic. On first viewing, it deserves it.

Moon

The reason I haven't given it more despite such a glowing review is that I want to see how it holds up on repeated viewings. I believe that there are other little nice touches that I didn't see first time around. It is very much a nod towards classic Science Fiction, but I believe that if this film holds up well during repeated viewings, it could be called a Classic. On first viewing, it deserves it.

Personally I don't think it will hold up on repeat viewings and I have no particular desire to see it again. Once you know it's a clone and that Kevin Spacey isn't evil, I don't see there being any tension. The tension was why I loved this film.

Personally I don't think it will hold up on repeat viewings and I have no particular desire to see it again. Once you know it's a clone and that Kevin Spacey isn't evil, I don't see there being any tension. The tension was why I loved this film.

It really depends on what you want to take from the film. If you're focusing on the plot, then maybe it'll seem less impressive the second or third time around. Because you know what happens, you know what's coming, etc.

I look for the analogies in films such as this. Why the director chose to show us a particular thing, or the meaning. So, the whys. There's one part where you see a list of the Harvesters, which are named after the Gospels, with one being replaced by the word Judas. I look for these little touches in the film. Why GERTY chose to help Sam, knowing that it was over-riding his programming.

I think there's usually many different levels to a film. That's the beauty of it, because you can choose what you want to take from it. The beauty of films such as Moon and Sunshine is that they're like love-letters to Science Fiction. They're a nod towards the classics, particularly 2001, Alien, Blade Runner. So, if you love those films, you see the similarities in these ones, and the same sort of messages.