NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Football Season 2023/24

You'd think it's been a quiet season with the lack of threadage.

That lot sodded off to Saudi in the summer. Kane gone. Salah kept. The search for a reasonably priced well rated defensive midfielder. From Postecogl-who to loving Big Ange instead. City with an early blip. Does Arteta really know what he's doing with his goalkeepers? Plucky Luton Town living the Premier League dream outside the relegation zone. The Toon Army in the Champos. Emery's Villa picking up where they left off last season. Talk of an Everton points deduction. VAR roulette. Toney serving a betting ban and Tonioli now joining him.

If that's not enough, there putting a fixture on Christmas Eve for the first time since '95.

And that's just the Premier League!

• Like 1

Can only imagine what matches you old limeys have been glued to the telly watching this midweek. All the while, on a bitter cold night at the Showgrounds, the Sky Blues hopes of a cup run were put to an end after a 1-1 draw followed by 44 penalties. 

The shootout is thought to be the joint-third longest of all time, only trailing a match between Washington and Bedlington, which took 54 penalties before the former came out on top 25-24, and KK Palace and Civics, which required 48 spot-kicks for Palace to take victory 17-16.

Match highlights and all the penalties through the link.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67360598

• Haha 1

Probably one of the biggest robberies of recent times, NEVER in a MILLION years was that a penalty for PSG. These sorts of decisions are the reason people call corruption. Absolutely gutted for Newcastle and their supporters and the ref was having a great game until that intervention, I think he was focusing too much on the contact with the arm that he missed the ball coming off the chest first, that's the only explanation. Now Newcastle might be dropping into the Europa or out of Europe entirely.

9 hours ago, Emerald Emblem said:

Probably one of the biggest robberies of recent times, NEVER in a MILLION years was that a penalty for PSG. These sorts of decisions are the reason people call corruption. Absolutely gutted for Newcastle and their supporters and the ref was having a great game until that intervention, I think he was focusing too much on the contact with the arm that he missed the ball coming off the chest first, that's the only explanation. Now Newcastle might be dropping into the Europa or out of Europe entirely.

The decision making all season has been a joke. So many teams have either gained or lost points due to shoddy calls by VAR or refs. It's worse now than it's ever been.

I was reading about how they may start trialling sin bins in the professional leagues. I'm all for it but given how the officials can't even keep on top of things now, I dread to think what will happen if they are having to deal with more responsibility. 

• Like 1

Four great goals required just to squeak a home win v Fulham. :woops: Opposition managers for the next spell: "Lads, it's Kelleher. Fill your boots."

3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Four great goals required just to squeak a home win v Fulham. :woops: Opposition managers for the next spell: "Lads, it's Kelleher. Fill your boots."

I checked the scores and seen they had scored a third. Checked again 5 mins later and seen we were 4-3 up. Bonkers.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I checked the scores and seen they had scored a third. Checked again 5 mins later and seen we were 4-3 up. Bonkers.

Yeah those last two goals went in in the space of a minute.

Sounds like the ref helped Spurs out again in their match this evening.

32 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Yeah those last two goals went in in the space of a minute.

Good. Love seeing Pep suffer.

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

The fact that even Anthony freaking Taylor of all people was on the sidelines with a face screaming "oh Simon, you utter twonk!" says all that needs to be said about that decision. 

I don't understand how these refs just keep getting worse. There was definitely a point not too long ago where you could look at refs and their decisions and think there's some level of corruption or club allegiance or insider betting, but maybe Occam's Razor really is always what we need all along, because these guys seriously seem way too inept to consciously mess up a football match. 

Anyways, some cracking goals in that Liverpool game today, and nice to see us pick up some points in the consistently inconsistent way we have done for a while now, bringing us to a grand total of...19 points in 14 games.

Fantastic stuff lads. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952mub6zayn53js9y1ln

I'm on watching the highlights now and yeah, that decision is hilariously bad. Grealish is through on goal so why was it called back? Crazy.

Man, our goals (Liverpool) were something special but Kelleher was shocking. Darwin continues to miss easy goals. I just don't get that lad. One minute he can bang them in, then the next he's missing shots from 6 yards out.

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Good. Love seeing Pep suffer.

Big Ange amassing quite the backlog of replays. :D 

8 hours ago, Julius said:

The fact that even Anthony freaking Taylor of all people was on the sidelines with a face screaming "oh Simon, you utter twonk!" says all that needs to be said about that decision. 

Ha, didn't see that. Must have been having visions of the barrage of criticism they were about to receive yet again. Howard Webb will have some more explaining to do.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm on watching the highlights now and yeah, that decision is hilariously bad. Grealish is through on goal so why was it called back? Crazy.

Man, our goals (Liverpool) were something special but Kelleher was shocking. Darwin continues to miss easy goals. I just don't get that lad. One minute he can bang them in, then the next he's missing shots from 6 yards out.

Should have been a boring, routine win with the only talking point his new hairdo.

uc?export=view&id=15dx20UN2aKK-FJJAz6Mq3

• Haha 2

Crazy results over the past couple of days. City getting beat was obviously delicious but the Toon getting a hammering off Everton was very unexpected. 

Crazy results over the past couple of days. City getting beat was obviously delicious but the Toon getting a hammering off Everton was very unexpected. 
Hammers beating Tottenham with only 25% possession was particularly hilarious.

Tottenham winning 3 manager of the month awards in a row and then only winning 1 point out of the next 15 was also quite humorous.
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bob said:

Hammers beating Tottenham with only 25% possession was particularly hilarious.

Tottenham winning 3 manager of the month awards in a row and then only winning 1 point out of the next 15 was also quite humorous.

Completely forgot about that result. Yeah, their form has taken a nosedive in recent weeks. Being 1-0 in numerous games, only to then get beaten has become a common thing for them.

How Ten Hag still has a job is beyond me. Now watch us get beat off them next week.

Squeaky bum time again today. I wonder how many goals we've scored in the last 10 mins this season? 

17 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How Ten Hag still has a job is beyond me. Now watch us get beat off them next week.

Squeaky bum time again today. I wonder how many goals we've scored in the last 10 mins this season? 

As a United supporter I want Ten Hag to stay.

To me this continuous cycle of managers coming in and "losing the dressing room" shows that there are some toxic players at the club that will just down tools if they don't get their way. Ole was apparently too touchy feely and didn't train hard enough, Ten Hag is apparently too distant and trains too hard, they can't win!... Nothing will change until these players are shipped out, I don't think any manager could do the job whilst they're still at the club.

Arteta was given time at Arsenal to do something similar, get rid of overpaid players, even if it's at a loss, and rebuild with an emphasis on youth. The trouble is whilst the Glazers are there they would never accept selling players on the cheap. Apparently the reason Martial is still at the club is because, for some reason, the Glazers like him and have blocked multiple managers from selling.

Rashford having one good season, getting a new mega contract, and then going back to his usual self is disgraceful, but not at all surprising and he shouldn't be anywhere near the team at the moment. 

• Like 1

How surprising is Aston Villa sitting at 3rd of the league? I know they finished 7th last season, but still :D

Haven't seen much of the Premier League this year but I keep track of the table and it's great to see City not on top :p

22 minutes ago, drahkon said:

How surprising is Aston Villa sitting at 3rd of the league? I know they finished 7th last season, but still :D

Haven't seen much of the Premier League this year but I keep track of the table and it's great to see City not on top :p

He's done a fantastic with Villa. Love seeing new blood in the top end of the table. It makes things so much more interesting when one team isn't just running away with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

He's done a fantastic with Villa. Love seeing new blood in the top end of the table. It makes things so much more interesting when one team isn't just running away with it.

It's the same in Bundesliga this year.

image.png

Leverkusen could increase their lead today against Stuttgart (or Stuttgart can temporarily take 2nd place :o). Bayern is one game behind, though. It's still very close.

I'm quite happy to see Leverkusen and especially Stuttgart in the top end of the table. They've been playing incredibly well and they deserve to be there!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Reminds me of that director of football trying to storm the VAR room a few weeks ago

What was this? I missed that bit of news.

Sign in to follow this