NEurope
Dcubed

Playstation 5 Console Discussion

Obviously I want it to be a lot cheaper but I think I could live with paying £599. The prices for these consoles are always going to go up as they get more and more powerful.
I think if they targeted something like £399 then the spec would not be up to scratch (like that's how much it would cost without an SSD).

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:
Obviously I want it to be a lot cheaper but I think I could live with paying £599. The prices for these consoles are always going to go up as they get more and more powerful.

I think if they targeted something like £399 then the spec would not be up to scratch (like that's how much it would cost without an SSD).

Of course it wouldn't be.  The moment they decided on having an SSD is the moment that £500 became the pricing floor.  There was never a way that they could get around this.

I've been saying this for almost half a year now!

I am still anticipating the Series X to primarily be sold on contract to get around the inevitable eyewatering pricetag BTW...

Edited by Dcubed

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

At least the 599 US dollars memes can be reused. :heh:

Now all we need is a new Genji game, for some Giant Enemy Crabs!

2020 will be the new 2006 for videogames. :p

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Now all we need is a new Genji game, for some Giant Enemy Crabs!

2020 will be the new 2006 for videogames. :p

Ah yes, just like those from those battles from Japan's history.

They should through in some Riiidge racer for good measure.

Maybe they should just show the 2006 E3 footage with the PS5 designs photoshop'd in.

• Haha 2

It's also worth bearing in mind the PS5 is also a Ultra HD Player and as these are priced from 140 to 280 pounds you are getting a lot of bang for your buck.  

I was expecting £500 for the PS5 and think that would be a reasonable price for what you get.  If there was a 2nd option of a 2TB drive for £600 I'd probably go for that but I'd be very surprised to see two tiers at launch.  

Anything under £500 however is a bonus and means more games yay!

ArtStation - PlayStation 5 concept, Martin Warnar

I too am expecting it to be a pretty high price initially, hopefully not as expensive as £600 though.

It's weird that consoles are getting more expensive really, there are so many more revenue streams open to console manufacturers that there has never been a better time to sell the console at a loss (it was announced recently that Sony made more money in the last financial year than they did in the entirety of the PS2 generation) but consumers attitudes towards paying high prices for electronics have changed too. They fork out extortionate amounts every month to get the latest handsets on 24 month contracts so I suppose Sony and Microsoft's thinking is that a one time investment of £600-£700 won't seem too outlandish in the current climate. 

I intend to pick up a PS5 at launch if the likes of the Demon's Souls remake are available on day one but I will only be doing so if I can sell my PS4 Pro to offset some of the cost, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford to buy any games to play on it. 

I'm expecting roughly £499 for the PS5 initial price point.

On a plus, Destiny 2 will be available on PS5 so at least i'll have one game to play, even if i can't get any other game for a while

I'm still expecting the price to fall at the £500 mark. Those listings on Amazon are obviously placeholders but even with cutting edge tech, I think in the current climate coming to market with a console at a £600 price tag before any games have been added to the cost could prove to be too much. Sony know this to their own cost with the launch of the PS3 and not getting the pricing right. So I'd be very surprised if it launched north of £500.

The bigger question is whether they'll take a hit and a small loss on the console to get it on the market at a good price. It's clear that Microsoft are aiming to undercut Sony if they can on the cost to the consumer at market so will Sony play that game are stick to their own lane? We'll see, there are plenty of factors in how both the PS5 and Xbox Series X will be priced, but I imagine Sony will come out swinging regardless.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they've got to show. I imagine they'll finally show the box, especially if the console is now hitting the production line. Game wise, sure we'll see Gran Turismo (the trademark on June 4th is too suspect to not be a new title) and there's too much talk for there not to be a Bloodborne and/or Demon Souls announcement (tho this might not be coming at launch going off of some comments that Imran Khan has made). We'll likely see Spiderman 2 and Horizon 2 but I think there will be a Ratchet and Clank title for launch. I'd love something completely new as well on top of some of these though. Sony have been good for that so hopefully that's what we'll get. Maybe that'll be Housemarque's new game which will undoubtedly be ready for launch and is looking like it'll be published by Sony.

I did see that one of the writers of the Dead Space games is saying to tune in to something he's working on tomorrow. I wonder if, with the rumours of a new Silent Hill under Sony, whether that's what he'll be working on under the Worldwide Studios initiative given the horror pedigree there.

We'll know in a little over 24 hours but I'm looking forward to it as there's going to be a lot of game announcements coming from the event that'll be next gen exclusive (not just first party but third party for both PS5 and XSX) from what I'm hearing so should give a strong indicator of what going next gen should be.

• Like 1

I could see them maybe doing the 1TB hard-drive for £500 and 2TB for £600.

I get that these consoles are super powerful beasts of terraflops and stuff, but Playstation got ridiculed for their PS3 price tag, and it took years for them to claw lost ground back, are they really going to risk another disaster like that with a price over £500? Even £500 seems steep though I suppose 1 grand giant phones have maybe desensitised people to spending a lot.

Edited by Ronnie

A small percentage of people probably drop the full amount at once and drop £1000 to buy the phone outright though, the ability to pay over a longer period makes it a bit easier to swallow. I don't think most people tend to buy the high-end flagships and it's usually the people who are more into that sort of thing.

I believe Microsoft introduced a pay monthly scheme recently with thew Xbox One so maybe Sony will do something similar, but i think the Microsoft deal was only through their store. Don't know if it will be easy doing deals with other retailers to provide those sort of options.

• Thanks 1

I don't think the high price point was the only contributing factor to the PS3's slow start though @Ronnie, the complex architechture took developers a long time to get their heads around and even then it was only the first party studios that were able to take advantage of it. If the PS5 is £600 at minimum it will definitely put some people off but developers will at least be in a position to take advantage of the extra power so there will undoubtedly be compelling exclusives to convince consumers to pick up the system at launch.

I get that these consoles are super powerful beasts of terraflops and stuff, but Playstation got ridiculed for their PS3 price tag, and it took years for them to claw lost ground back, are they really going to risk another disaster like that with a price over £500? Even £500 seems steep though I suppose 1 grand giant phones have maybe desensitised people to spending a lot.

It's interesting you say that when Xbox One X released at just £50 less - I'm guessing you never found that prohibitively expensive? And that was just for a mid generation refresh with only a few years left before the next consoles would replace it. And that didn't even have an SSD! Positioned like that, if next gen consoles end up being £500 then that will be good value for money by comparison.

I think the One X probably sold moderately well, so that's likely a good indicator of how things are now. People now are more conditioned to spend.

Also back when PS3 launched, 599 USD was a lot, and a lot more than the competition. The base 360 model was only $299! Half the price, which is insane. Now we can expect both consoles to be priced high because of the similar tech they both have, so I don't think we can expect the same situation again.

£499 was listed alongside a 500GB and 1TB console and we know neither are happening (Cerny confirmed the standard hard drive is 850GB ish).

If £500 happens it will be for a higher capacity SKU. I imagine the base console will be around £425/450 each. XSX and Lockhart will be a bit above that and a bit below respectively imo.

£499 was listed alongside a 500GB and 1TB console and we know neither are happening (Cerny confirmed the standard hard drive is 850GB ish).

If £500 happens it will be for a higher capacity SKU. I imagine the base console will be around £425/450 each. XSX and Lockhart will be a bit above that and a bit below respectively imo.

Interesting, it's a Goron vs Dcubed price guess showdown. Let me grab the popcorn.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Interesting, it's a Goron vs Dcubed price guess showdown. Let me grab the popcorn. emoji14.png

I can't see £500 being the pricing floor as @Dcubed suggested as that translates to close to $600+ and that's before tax. Sony won't release a $700 console in the USA.

Also, Sony are making huge sums of money from PSN and digital downloads (more than Nintendo and Xbox profits combined). This will be even more the case when PS5 launches because from day one, hundreds of games will be available and won't cost anything in terms of development. As such, Sony will make huge profits on any game sold. They can easily take a loss. 

Edit. I should point out that I don't think we'll get a price tomorrow.

Edited by Goron_3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:

It's interesting you say that when Xbox One X released at just £50 less - I'm guessing you never found that prohibitively expensive?

Different situation. The Xbox One X was a premium product that was marketed as a more powerful Xbox One, a luxury meant for hardcore gamers. It was also, as you say £50 cheaper. These new consoles are the base hardware of a brand new generation. It's a very different sell.

I've (based on absolutely nothing other than unguided guesses) been expecting a price point of $500 in the US. What that would translate to could be anything but I'd guess £500 given the artistic licence people seem to take with exchange rates nowadays. I'm setting aside $1,000 in the hope that will get me a decent selection of stuff on launch day.

11 hours ago, Ronnie said:

£425 in 2007 is £600 in 2019 so £500 would actually be cheaper than the PS3 when adjusted for inflation. 

Although the most depressing thing about checking that was seeing the EU price as €600 and missing the days before we tanked our currency. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With the rumours at the moment that Persona 3 and Persona 4 Golden are being released on PC I wonder if they’re also coming to PS5 and could be announced on today’s stream.

54 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

With the rumours at the moment that Persona 3 and Persona 4 Golden are being released on PC I wonder if they’re also coming to PS5 and could be announced on today’s stream.

Oh man, I loved Persona 5 and even though I've already paid for Persona 4 Golden on Vita, I haven't played it yet, and would much rather play it on a TV :p not sure if they'd show it here though? Imagine Atlus would potentially save them for the New Game Plus Expo on the 23rd. 

5 hours ago, will' said:

I've (based on absolutely nothing other than unguided guesses) been expecting a price point of $500 in the US. What that would translate to could be anything but I'd guess £500 given the artistic licence people seem to take with exchange rates nowadays. I'm setting aside $1,000 in the hope that will get me a decent selection of stuff on launch day.

I've been putting money aside for an £850 budget by the time November rolls around. Been putting a bit here and there into a savings pot the last few months - remember doing similar when I got a PS2 when I was younger! 

I've based my budget on hopefully a maximum RRP for the console of £599, a maximum of three AAA games at £60 (doubt I'll pick up three games at launch, but worst case I only pick up one or two and the extra goes towards some accessories or something), and an extra DualSense at £70 (though I could see that being slightly more). 

Doubt we're getting price or pre-orders later though, but fingers crossed for that to come soon. It's a really weird situation where I feel like more eyes will be on the PS5 tomorrow as a result of people staying in the last few months than might have otherwise been the case, and I feel like that will be the same case when pre-orders do go live, but at the same time, a lot of people watching are unfortunately either going to be out of work or on furlough (which is a really risky position too) and the world economy isn't doing great. I doubt it'll happen given PlayStation have got much better with their messaging since, but now certainly isn't the time for a gaffe akin to "you'll work two jobs to buy the PS3". 

I feel like this is exactly why Sony would be wise to follow the pay monthly context route for the PS5 that @Ike and @Dcubed have mentioned before, even if not necessarily at launch (given that stock will sell regardless). It just gives more people the opportunity to buy in as an alternative to the usual lump sum deal, which is going to be even less affordable to most than it would normally be. 

Different situation. The Xbox One X was a premium product that was marketed as a more powerful Xbox One, a luxury meant for hardcore gamers. It was also, as you say £50 cheaper. These new consoles are the base hardware of a brand new generation. It's a very different sell.

It's only £50 cheaper but if you account for inflation it's only £20 cheaper. So the £50 cheaper argument disappears. 

And you're right it's a different sell, but in a good way. This is a new generation meant to last for 7+ years, with better tech like SSDs. In that way it's a lot easier to sell a more expensive console than it was the Xbox One X in 2017. They also only need to sell to so many people at that price (i.e. early adopters). The price will eventually go down after a couple of years.

Mobile phones are also mainstream products and more expensive than £500 for the most part, and replaced much more often. I don't see £500 as a launch price for the early adopters being an issue, if that ends up being the price.

That said, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Sony price PS5 less than this. Microsoft will have a cheaper model as another option so it would make sense if Sony price their console lower than the Series X.

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Worth remembering that launch consoles target the hardcore gamers and not the mainstream (google 'diffusion of technological innovation graphs'). The PS5 and XSX will be premium products from day one. Even the PS4 will still sell bucketloads this winter because it will be the mass market product at a much lower price point.

For what it's worth, I reckon Lockhart will be around £299/£329. A 1080p next gen machine around £100 cheaper than a PS5 is a pretty decent purchase.