N-Europe

Gaming Retail Outlets In Trouble

• 2 months later...

At this point GameStop seem to be hanging on by a thread. I'd be very surprised if they are still around in the next couple of years. With digital sales of games are rising YoY, as well as cheaper options for physical games online, it's really putting the squeeze on gaming retailers that are still on the high street.

It's also shame about the GI staff being blindsided and laid off. To be honest i'm still surprised that they produce a magazine. The internet has killed off most gaming magazines and it's crazy to think that there are some still out there that are still able to operate in a world where people demand their news in an instant and at a constant flow.

@Happenstance have you been out and bought Edge and Retro Gamer this morning? :p  

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...

GAME are now ending their rewards and elite programmes.

As of 31 July 2024 (“Closure Date”) the GAME 'Reward' Programme (“GAME Reward”) and the GAME Elite Membership Scheme ("GAME Elite") shall come to an end, after which GAME Reward customers and GAME Elite members ("Elite Members") will no longer be able to earn GAME Reward points on purchases made in GAME stores or online at game.co.uk or redeem any GAME Reward or GAME Elite points remaining on your GAME Reward account.

Next will be them announcing they no longer sell games.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Man, this sucks, but yeah, it definitely seems to be heading that way. If they can somehow ride it out to next year they'll probably be able to get by a little longer with the foot traffic a new console launch would bring with the Switch 2, as well as the potential release of GTA VI. 

Kind of crazy just how much of the industry is currently hinged on the Switch 2 and GTA VI releasing within the next 18 months. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 9:52 PM, Ike said:

Well, here we have it: to the surprise of no-one, Gfinity are reporting that GAME plans to put an end to in-store sales of games and consoles. 

Pre-orders for home delivery or in-store pick-up will still be available. 

What a mess, and crazy that they couldn't find the resolve to last it out until the Switch 2/GTA VI, but I guess that's just a sign of how dire things are, and have been for a while. Mental that this update comes just three weeks after the news on their rewards programmes, guessing splitting the news up was supposed to soften the blow? 

I'm genuinely struggling to think of where I'd even go locally to look at and buy physical, newly printed, sealed games in a store at this point. Switch 2 will absolutely have carts, we've seen the leaks for Xbox moving forwards and their plan to go all-in on digital...leaving PlayStation as the only one where it's a bit of an unknown at the moment. Very curious to see if they lean into the business decision of going all-digital (maybe with an optional disc drive for BC?) with the PS6, or lean into the good PR keeping physical around might bring next-gen, just thinking back to how much noise was made when so many of their legacy storefronts threated to shut up shop a few years ago. 

Feels like another nail in the coffin for physical media. Can't say I'm a fan of this all-digital future we're seeing at the bottom of this abyss we're collectively staring into as a gaming community. 

UPDATE: and GAME have gone into denial mode, per Eurogamer. 

Like they have a choice. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Julius said:

UPDATE: and GAME have gone into denial mode, per Eurogamer. 

Like they have a choice. 

giphy.webp

Don't believe their lies.  The end of British video game B&M retail is near.

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The end of British video game B&M retail is near.

I thought you meant the shop B&M for a moment. 

I went into Game recently to see how many points I had and they told me they couldn't check because the tills had been upgraded and that is why they're getting rid of the points system. 

I know he was just saying what he was told but what a daft justification. Pretty sure a POS system could account for loyalty accounts. Other shops manage. 

3 hours ago, Julius said:

I'm genuinely struggling to think of where I'd even go locally to look at and buy physical, newly printed, sealed games in a store at this point. 

I've been using Argos and Smyths for a while now and that is literally all that are near me now. I use Smyths purely because it is on the drive back from work.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

The end of British video game B&M retail is near.

You're pretty much digital only now, right? What do you care? :p

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I thought you meant the shop B&M for a moment. 

Yeah, I had to give it another read. :D

• Haha 1

On 24/06/2024 at 3:52 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I've been using Argos and Smyths for a while now and that is literally all that are near me now. I use Smyths purely because it is on the drive back from work.

I had no ides that Smyths had physical stores. Not that I'm ever using them again after them refusing to refund a faulty cot mattress. 

• 3 weeks later...

Only tangentially related but when I was at Game you had to answer the phone with some kind of promo (new game, offer, preorder etc) and back in 2006 I got used to saying "Good morning thanks for calling Game [location] where you can now preorder Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training on the Nintendo DS, Ashley speaking how may I help" because it really threw everyone. 

Look at what they're giving up!

• Haha 2

The sale of POSA cards will be the next thing to go, and will no longer be offered within a matter of weeks, GAME staff have told Eurogamer - despite the cards' widespread sale in many other high street stores and supermarkets.

An important and slightly technical distinction here is that digitally fulfilled codes (which can include Xbox or PlayStation store credit) generated and printed on a receipt will still be supported.

But those physical cards, often sold with a pre-set value of £15, £25, £50 or more, will no longer be purchasable - at least in stores.

They should just shut up shop and call it a day at this point.