NEurope
Serebii

Splatoon 2

From what I recall blasters are pretty low on coverage, and sure, snipers aren't the greatest either :D but from what I'm gleaning from this thread, the amount you ink is cumulative, so it just means you would need to invest more time to get to the top rank?? and again, if you stick to it you can see how others use the weapons and develop your own techniques to maximise coverage - I recall that with snipers it is better to use a full charge rather than spamming the fire button and using loads of mini shots - Although I would use that technique in more confined spaces. I'll try to watcha  video of salmon run at some point, should help me understand more. In any case,  it sounds great fun. Splatoon had splatfest, splatoon 2 has salmon run, I wonder what they have planned to add with splatoon 3!

I'm not sure what you mean.. The ink does nothing to your score if that's what your getting at? The better your ink coverage, the better your survival, it's as simple as that. If you're lucky, you get the grillers or goldie rush on the 3rd round. But 8 out of 10 times, you get the boss character rape-orgy fest. It's impossible to kill 'm all, so you need to dodge the shots from the boss characters who can hit you from the other side of the map. If you can't cover the ground with ink fast enough, you're not able to escape. The enemies in those rounds are extremely effective at removing all your ink and replace it with their own green goo, so previously placed escape routes may not be there anymore, and if your ink coverage is low to begin with.. 

I've been playing this on and off since it launched last week, although I didn't get to play online much as I didn't want to update the software and get rid of the glitch. I just kept playing offline until I nabbed what I needed. These should keep me going for a while. :)

DGCePapUMAAwfap.jpg

The game is as fun as ever but it also remains a very frustrating experience.

I'm baffled as to why the developers of the game didn't listen to the complaints from the first game and then fix them with this one. I know these have probably been pointed out by others but...

• You still can't party up with friends when playing the normal online mode, granted you can join their game but also run the risk of being on opposite sides.
  • Being stuck in a lobby and not being able to back out is pretty very annoying, especially if you do decide to jump into a game that a friend is playing and then you realise they have left.
  • Not being able to change a loadout with having to leave the lobby is still online of the stupidest decisions I have come across in an online shooter. 
  • Not being able to skip the intro sequence of the game. Yes, it's nice to inform people what maps are available but the player should have the option to opt out of this start up sequence.
  • The maps are still stuck on a 2 map rotation.
  • Salmon Run only being made available during certain times of the day/week is just baffling. It's like having Zombies on CoD or Horde mode on Gears of War but only being able to play them when developer dictates. I've seen people defend this saying Nintendo don't want to split the player base. This excuse doesn't fly anymore. Nintendo knows just how popular the IP is and no longer need to worry about having players fill in certain modes.

Like the first game, this has the potential to be something really special but as it stands it once again is a fun but very flawed experience.

On a more positive note, I do love playing Salmon Run...when it's available. I love a good co-op experience so this was always going to hit the right notes with me. I wasn't keen on the random weapons but it certainly does make things a little more interesting. My only issue is that sometimes the weapon selection can be a bit poor and it's hard to make good uses of the ones that are available.

I haven't finished the campaign yet ( just done enough to get to where I could get my tickets ) but it's been great so far. Just like the first game, it feels very much like a Mario Galaxy style affair where each stage offers something different and wacky mechanic that keeps you on your toes. I also think this story mode is a little more challenging than the first game. There have been a couple of levels when I have spent my lives and had to start from the beginning again.

• Like 2

Looks like there's something weird going to be happening during the Splatfest this weekend.

From what i've read, this new stage will randomly appear alongside the other 2 maps during Splatfest. Good to see another map being thrown into the mix.

• Like 2

So, my 5 cents about this game! The demo didn't convince me, but playing the game some more did! I have only briefly touched single player, and have not even been on a Salmon Run. Mostly I'm just increasing my rank (level 8 now) playing with randoms in Turf War. Now that I know the maps a bit better I can throw in much more tactics, especially climbing on top of stuff and jumping people with rollers or other nasty tricks. I can see how this can get very interesting once I start Ranked!

The 2 map rotation is a bit bad indeed, especially since sometimes you just play the same map 4 times in a row. Not being able to change your loadout is bad as well. But for the rest I am hooked, even after being warned more than once to stay off the hook. ;)

I've been looking into gear abilities, and it's a shame that apparently you can't have different main abilities on your gear (without using Splatnet.. :|). From an aesthetic point of view, I have the gear I want pretty much (I love the leather jacket), but I need / want something with ninja squid.

Some tips on Reddit for Salmon run: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6qgijl/salmon_run_bosses_setting_priorities_and_settling/

I'll be playing Salmon run again tonight, and earlier as I'm not going anywhere tonight.

I'll open up a room at 21:00 UK if people want to join me, but I'll be playing from 20:00 UK so you can join me earlier if you want. I'm assuming it will be an 1 hour session, though personally I'll probably be playing for longer than that, unless I'm in the mood for ranked batles instead.

32 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I've been looking into gear abilities, and it's a shame that apparently you can't have different main abilities on your gear (without using Splatnet.. :|). From an aesthetic point of view, I have the gear I want pretty much (I love the leather jacket), but I need / want something with ninja squid.

Some tips on Reddit for Salmon run: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6qgijl/salmon_run_bosses_setting_priorities_and_settling/

I'll be playing Salmon run again tonight, and earlier as I'm not going anywhere tonight.

I'll open up a room at 21:00 UK if people want to join me, but I'll be playing from 20:00 UK so you can join me earlier if you want. I'm assuming it will be an 1 hour session, though personally I'll probably be playing for longer than that, unless I'm in the mood for ranked batles instead.

What's your friend code ( can't believe I still have to ask for that ) and I'll add you. I'm currently playing Salmon Run at the moment and should still be kicking about when you come online.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

3 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Just added you @Sméagol, in case I want to join in on a Salmon Run session!

You'd be welcome! I'll confirm you once I'm online.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

What's your friend code ( can't believe I still have to ask for that ) and I'll add you. I'm currently playing Salmon Run at the moment and should still be kicking about when you come online.

(I don't get the problem with friend codes to be honest.. In the Wii era the problem was you had a code for each and every game.. Not it's a single code and you can use every nickname you want)

Friend code is: SW-1077-2707-8116

It's in my profile and in the Google docs, but I'm thinking of just creating a thread on the forum for friend codes. I still haven't added everyone from the Google doc myself. I'll join you once I'm online.

• Like 1

Myself and Smeagol are in Salmon Run now. If anyone else wants to join us then give us a shout in here and we'll back out and create a new room.

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

(I don't get the problem with friend codes to be honest.. In the Wii era the problem was you had a code for each and every game.. Not it's a single code and you can use every nickname you want)

Yeah I feel the same way, since its one code and I think its easier to add someone to your friends list this way then to search for them by name. For example my username on Steam is Ego. If someone was to search for me using their search feature, it brings up 16,252 users with that name.

Thankfully with Steam I can just copy and paste the URL of my profile here so someone can just click "add friend" and Nintendo should do the same by having a profile page on the Nitnendo site. I don't mind Friend codes though, its just a simple code you punch in to instantly find the person you want to add.

Edited by Helmsly

Cracking games tonight, Nicktendo and Smeagol. At times we were really coming together as a team.

Dat clutch play from Smeagol was great. It was where he was the last man standing with 10 seconds to go and he some how survived and revived us all in the process. It was easily play of the night. :D

• Like 1

Salmon Run is so awesome. Think we only didn't finish twice, right? Absolutely killed it. And that time we got 28 eggs on the first wave, lovely stuff. I'm up to 180% pay bonus now and got over 800 points from that hour alone, cheers!

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you Sméagol, i love the leather jacket! Had a really great game now, with over 13 kills and top score for my team :D. The game is pretty fresh, i must say. 

DGGIJ6lUIAAKrxn?format=jpg

I have yet to get into Ranked though, and still haven't tried Salmon Run. Been too busy with refurbishing at my flat.

• Like 1

Had fun guys! And I'm back to being an over-achiever!

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Cracking games tonight, Nicktendo and Smeagol. At times we were really coming together as a team.

Dat clutch play from Smeagol was great. It was where he was the last man standing with 10 seconds to go and he some how survived and revived us all in the process. It was easily play of the night. :D

Wish I remembered what you are talking about ;).

It is actually a good strategy though. If you have a few seconds left, and the quota is already filled, it's better to just get the hell away from all the chaos rather than try to kill extra bosses or go out of the way to revive dead players.

Also a great tip from that reddit thread I linked above, they actually show what tide the next round is going to be right at the start of the countdown. I never noticed.. I just looked for the basket, but often forgot (luckily there's usually one player who does notice). If it's low tide you can immediately head to the beach as the basket will always appear there in that situation.

8 hours ago, Sméagol said:

It is actually a good strategy though. If you have a few seconds left, and the quota is already filled, it's better to just get the hell away from all the chaos rather than try to kill extra bosses or go out of the way to revive dead players.

Yup, I often do this, especially when things get too hot to handle. He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day. :D 

Another thing I tend to do is use my special if the round is nearly over and things are getting out of hand. The one where you fly into the sky is especially useful when trying to just survive and wind down the clock.

Thanks for the adds HoT and Smeágol! Unfortunately I was about to go offline by the time you guys came online. But I did play my first Salmon Run games with some randoms. Great fun indeed! I love the chaos, and I can see how it is even better when playing with some people who understand the strategy behind it. Although I also found myself trying to tackle a boss with a weapon that was not so appropriate. 

Did you guys use the voicechat by the way? Be it discord or the app? Anybody even tried voice chatting with the app?

Just now, Vileplume2000 said:

Thanks for the adds HoT and Smeágol! Unfortunately I was about to go offline by the time you guys came online. But I did play my first Salmon Run games with some randoms. Great fun indeed! I love the chaos, and I can see how it is even better when playing with some people who understand the strategy behind it. Although I also found myself trying to tackle a boss with a weapon that was not so appropriate. 

Did you guys use the voicechat by the way? Be it discord or the app? Anybody even tried voice chatting with the app?

Nah, we didn't bother using it. I have yet to try the thing out.

In it's current setup I imagine the online app would be awkward to use. Given that messages can't be sent on the app or the Switch, I use my phone to get a game sorted via the forums. If someone was to disconnect from the game/app then I would have to check the forums to see if they were jumping back in to the game, but by doing that I disconnect from the online app. Basically the whole thing seems to be a mess in its current state.

• Like 2

The matchmaking in turf war is awful. I'm on level 15 yet they can never match me with people around my level. I'm always matched with newbies. 

Just now, liger05 said:

The matchmaking in turf war is awful. I'm on level 15 yet they can never match me with people around my level. I'm always matched with newbies. 

Yeah, it seems the matchmaking issues haven't been sorted from the first game, much like all the other issues. I'm having the opposite experience where i'm getting matched with players much higher level than me and they are all rocking better gear. At least it seems to avoid putting me with Japanese players. It was nightmare playing against those in the first game due to the shoddy connections.

Reading through the thread I'm glad I didn't cave and buy this... but at the same time I'm gutted Nintendo didn't rectify all these issues!

Such a missed opportunity to make a pretty good game a great game!

I played through splatoon a little earlier, online is still working well (and I think they have really improved things somehow, my connection is shocking but splatoon seems to be running ok??)
I think as a game it is a great already, I think it is more a missed opportunity to improve the social aspects and make it a greater game...

Does the game have local multiplayer options, or are multiple switches required to take advantage of that? the multiplayer in splatoon was.. well... weak :D

10 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

Does the game have local multiplayer options, or are multiple switches required to take advantage of that? the multiplayer in splatoon was.. well... weak :D

Multiple Switches are needed. You can find the local modes in that arcade place near the Dance Dance Revolution rip-off machine.

Anyway, is anyone up for some Salmon Run tonight? After Mario Kart N-E League?

• Like 1

Multiple Switches are needed. You can find the local modes in that arcade place near the Dance Dance Revolution rip-off machine.

I might be. Depends on if dinner happens before or after MK League. Hard to know yet?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I will be. Finishing work at 9 so I should be good to go around 9.30.

• Like 1