Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

NX - Home console you can take with you or Portable you can plug in at home?

Happenstance

As the title says...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. As the title says...

• Home console you can take with you
    • Portable console you can plug in at home

I'm going with home console you can take with you, though I'm not completely decided. Being primarily portable and then plugging it in at home is not new and doesn't seem worthy of the silence, but what if it's the much rumoured supplementary device that makes it so 'revolutionary'?

I hope it's a home console that you can take out with you but with reduced performance, it seems like that would have been something that could have given the Wii U that huge fucking edge it needed.

Neither. I want (and still predict) two separate devices that share the same underlying CPU/GPU architecture, have cross platform games but also have their own unique control gimmicks and unique titles.

Something that is heavily motion control focused simply wouldn't work in the same way on a handheld as on a console, while something focused on short play sessions or Streetpass/GPS support are better suited for handheld play etc.

This is like the question about when a glass is at 50% capacity.

The way you see it will depend solely on your view towards Nintendo and how you predominantly game

I preffer homeconsoles, but play mostly on the gamepad because it's more convinient for me, so I really need a hybrid :D.

What I take from the question is this:

1. Home console on the go:

A fairly powerful device, similar in fidelity to the PS4 & XBO and you can take the controller with you as the portable.

2. Portable plug in at home:

A powerful portable, not as powerful as the PS4 & XBO, similar to WiiU. Can play it on TV, not necessarily with any upscaling.

I'd like a hybrid in the sense that it's both of the above, So the NX is two devices that are actually one console.

The first device is the "portable" part of the device and is where you insert the cartridges. It's a fairly powerful machine, powerful for a portable for sure, at least allowing enough for a relatively decent battery too.

When playing at home, you detach the controllers and connect the portable to the second part of the device, the "dock", which is the Supplementary Computing Device we saw the patent for. So the two devices combined form the "home console" which then has increased power in the same breadth as the other consoles and more functions/features.

So the handheld has similar features to the 3DS, but when plugged into the dock it's range of features increase... Party Chat, Netflix, game recording/streaming etc. What you'd expect from a home console basically.

So I've voted for home console on the go.

Edited by Kav

I assume the line of thinking is:

Portable that can upscale to home - designed with portable specs in mind, with it being a portable game etc that just can also be played on the big tv

Home console that you can take with you - more aligned to current gen specs but with the ability to take it on the go with you (either fully or a 'reduced' game)

It's similar, but there are slight differences but they may be largely perceptional.

This is a joke question isn't it? It's the same thing

If by Kav's understanding it's all about power then who wouldn't want it to be more powerful?

I think because then they would almost certainly have to make compromises on things like battery life, which obviously effects the handheld side of this device. If the thing is a handheld console first, then they would most likely prioritise battery life over power.

This is why I i dont really want a hybrid console in the first place but if I have to choose, I want a home console first. The Wii U seems to be coming to an end and they announced that they plan to support the 3ds for longer so I guess I it is time for a new home console.

Edited by Helmsly

This is like the question about when a glass is at 50% capacity.

The way you see it will depend solely on your view towards Nintendo and how you predominantly game

So is my view the one where the glass gets knocked over and spilt then? :p

Neither. I want (and still predict) two separate devices that share the same underlying CPU/GPU architecture, have cross platform games but also have their own unique control gimmicks and unique titles.

Something that is heavily motion control focused simply wouldn't work in the same way on a handheld as on a console, while something focused on short play sessions or Streetpass/GPS support are better suited for handheld play etc.

I'd rather Nintendo fully consolidate their software development with NX, as to avoid any chance of the kind of droughts we got with 3DS and Wii U especially. :hmm:

While I do agree there are titles that won't necessarily work well on a handheld and vice versa, the option to play those kinds of games in the preferable manner will still exist if it is a hybrid system anyway.

The way I see it, the only chance the NX has of being successful in the current market (unless there's a drastic change in the 3rd party situation, which is super unlikely) is for Nintendo to maintain a sizeable and above all consistent flow of their own games to the system.

I don't want them to faff about with specific games for handheld or home play. Everything should be playable on both, and just keep churning them out as fast as possible! :hehe:

I'd rather Nintendo fully consolidate their software development with NX, as to avoid any chance of the kind of droughts we got with 3DS and Wii U especially. :hmm:

While I do agree there are titles that won't necessarily work well on a handheld and vice versa, the option to play those kinds of games in the preferable manner will still exist if it is a hybrid system anyway.

The way I see it, the only chance the NX has of being successful in the current market (unless there's a drastic change in the 3rd party situation, which is super unlikely) is for Nintendo to maintain a sizeable and above all consistent flow of their own games to the system.

I don't want them to faff about with specific games for handheld or home play. Everything should be playable on both, and just keep churning them out as fast as possible! :hehe:

When I say unique titles, I don't mean every title. I mean stuff like Wii Sports, Skyward Sword, Streetpass Plaza, Picross etc.

Stuff like Mario Kart, Monster Hunter, Smash Bros though? Yeah, make them playable on both. They're unlikely to rely on any specific form of control. The time spent making two separate versions of those games can be much better spent making different titles, re-utilising code and assets shared across both devices.