NEurope
drahkon

The 'Other' Switch Thread

TBH, practically everyone already has something that plays Netflix/Amazon Prime/Whatever now anyway; hell even TVs have it built-in now!

So it's not hard to see why they're not bothering with supporting native video streaming apps ::shrug:

Seems odd though, I mean it's not exactly going to be a negative thing if the Switch were to have Netflix on it, since it would be an optional app anyway. I'd hope it comes to the console at some point down the line.

I'll be using another console for Netflix so it can be Switch controller charging time >.>

Colin is right.

I'm not on about his content, though I do dispute a lot. But am I the only one who really doesn't like the guy, never has, he comes a less so obnoxious and superior, and he's terrible at these videos. Not natural at all, clearly reading a script. All the other guys are decent, but he makes me wince.

The main thought going through my head while watching that was "cry me a river" - I bet he still day ones the Switch tho. :rolleyes:

The main thought going through my head while watching that was "cry me a river"

In fairness at any given time 82% of the world's population is thinking about that classic Justin Timberlake song.

In fairness at any given time 82% of the world's population is thinking about that classic Justin Timberlake song.

Bwahaha - lol same.

Colin is right.

I found it very hard to disagree with anything in this video.

However, surely Skyrim is the remastered version? It must be out for launch, too?

I'm getting WiiU vibes from the Switch and I'm not desperate enough to slap down £300+ on something that may get sub-18-months playtime.

I did a quick first impressions video, because all the cool kids are doing it:

I'm not on about his content, though I do dispute a lot. But am I the only one who really doesn't like the guy, never has, he comes a less so obnoxious and superior, and he's terrible at these videos. Not natural at all, clearly reading a script. All the other guys are decent, but he makes me wince.

Dude, you keep bringing this up when a video with him is posted. Why do you keep watching him if you can't stand him? You're just asking to be annoyed. :D

He does this format to give it a more structured approach. His banter on Kinda Funny and PS I Love You is more natural.

I'm getting WiiU vibes from the Switch and I'm not desperate enough to slap down £300+ on something that may get sub-18-months playtime.

To be honest, with every day that passes I lose more and more interest in the thing. I keep trying to get excited about it but every time I try there's some other bit of news that comes out that makes me think just what the hell are they doing?

There's only Zelda I'm interested in, now that Bomberman has been priced out of the equation. The likes of 1 2 Switch and that cutting game are useless to me due to my lack of local co-op options. This leaves me sat waiting for ARMS and the Splatoon in the Summer. I'd probably have Zelda done in a weekend, especially if I take the launch day off, so the console would just be sat there gathering dust until the next release, which would be mid April.

I woke up this morning to find that there will be no video streaming services on the Switch, at least for the foreseeable future. Crazy. Granted, a lot of devices already have this but it's nice and convenient to have these things on a device that you are playing.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I woke up this morning to find that there will be no video streaming services on the Switch, at least for the foreseeable future. Crazy. Granted, a lot of devices already have this but it's nice and convenient to have these things on a device that you are playing.

Must have missed this. That's pretty much me out untill it's much cheaper. I did want to use it as a tablet lite, as I didn't really have a use for a full tablet, but wanted a decent Netflix/YouTube screen to watch in bed.

Dude, you keep bringing this up when a video with him is posted. Why do you keep watching him if you can't stand him? You're just asking to be annoyed. :D

He does this format to give it a more structured approach. His banter on Kinda Funny and PS I Love You is more natural.

haha, have I said it before? :D The thing is, his content is actually good, I think I'd enjoy reading him more.

haha, have I said it before? :D The thing is, his content is actually good, I think I'd enjoy reading him more.

Haha. I think it was in the podcast thread at one point. You're getting forgetful in your old age. :D

Must have missed this. That's pretty much me out until it's much cheaper. I did want to use it as a tablet lite, as I didn't really have a use for a full tablet, but wanted a decent Netflix/YouTube screen to watch in bed.

There's a hefty topic of Gaf discussing how not having these features hurts the consoles image and chances. One of the members wrote a fantastic post.

I'll be honest here, the likelyhood that I'd use Netflix on the Switch is extremely low. However, that's because I'm going to use it on my PS4 that also has Crunchyroll, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Crackle and it's own Sony media store. It's just easier.

That said, it never had to be that way. For a long time I was running Windows Media Center to my TV, with launchers for Hulu, XBMC and a host of others for all my media needs. The DRM race began, plugins started getting broken for weeks at a time as Hulu and others tried to stay ahead of the people making the plugins, Microsoft abandoned Windows Media Center and now none of it ever worked as well as it did. So XBMC on my TV has all my media and all my streaming media's done through my PS4.

Which brings me to the PS4, which also never had to be that way. Microsoft was well ahead of them in that space and Sony could have looked at Microsoft and said "we'll never match what Microsoft's doing, lets not bother," but they did and because they did I use the console almost every day. More than my PC and infinitely more than my Wii U.

Now to why that matters. First, psychologically, to me, using something every day imbues it with a sense of value. I'm much more likely to stay current on my PS Plus subscription for a device I use all the time versus something I sporadically use. Even if my online gaming was non-existent that month. Second, I know what was released and what was on sale because, well, why not check while before I log off for the night after watching Hulu? I can not tell you the amount of money I've spent buying a game I want that happened to be on sale that I didn't have time to play just because I saw it up there.

I know not everyone's like me. But everyone's also not like you. To me, there's not a chance in hell a Nintendo system could be my primary device. I mean, there is, but Nintendo's shown they have no desire to make a device that'd fill that role. But to someone else maybe these stupid media apps are what would decide whether it gets used every day or once every couple of months when the next Nintendo game is released. And that's huge because that incentivizes that person to stay current on their Nintendo Network payment, it means they have a higher chance to make impulse purchases on the eShop. It'd color their decision to pick up a multiplatform game on their Switch over another platform they may own because they use it often and like the convenience. All of these things impact one another. And the fact Nintendo's basically forfeiting that audience, not trying and failing to meet their expectations but flat out not bothering is telling.

As far as competition goes, you can't be number one by gunning for last. While the chances of them beating Microsoft and Sony in the console space are slim I think anyone will tell you that they have no chance to do so if they don't try, and, even if the goal is lofty the more effort put in should generally lead to greater success even if they don't come out number one. Right now I think Nintendo's mindset is downright toxic to their longevity and they should be called out on this shit.

And lastly, no, doing more doesn't take away from what it does. Nintendo allowing a media app isn't taking someone away from Fire Emblem or some shit.

And lastly, no, doing more doesn't take away from what it does. Nintendo allowing a media app isn't taking someone away from Fire Emblem or some shit.

Amen to that. And to everything else in that post.

Haha. I think it was in the podcast thread at one point. You're getting forgetful in your old age. :D

Tell me about it.... oh boy!! :D

I hope I forget the £509 I realised I've just spent on the switch launch plus the inevitable last minute bottle job I do on bomberman!!

No Titanfall for you, @kav82.

Mohammad Alavi: ...I was excited about it. Nintendo's been in such a niche market recently, catering to the handheld and the kids, they've been so underpowered that they don't have the support of the third parties because they're all making for the PC, Xbox One and PS4, and it's no different.

Micha: I am going to drink to it mainly because, I understand. It will be underpowered. I'm not going to be play Titanfall on it. Like, can you tell me?

Mohammad: Fuck no! No, you're not going to be able to fit Titanfall 2 on the Nintendo Switch.

After plenty of drinking, the designer is joking about the idea that you can fit the Titanfall 2 in a Nintendo Switch game card, one that can fit up to 25 GB of data. Titanfall 2 is 42 GB on the Xbox One, at least.

This sums it up quite well for me:

As far as competition goes, you can't be number one by gunning for last.

No Titanfall for you, @kav82.

I still don't understand why some expect PS4 ports. The hardware was never designed around that. It's also quite under the level of a PS4. Closer to Vita.

I still don't understand why some expect PS4 ports. The hardware was never designed around that. It's also quite under the level of a PS4. Closer to Vita.

Well, that it can run Unreal 4, you'd expect ports to be possible... scaled down, yes, but possible none-the-less.

Well, that it can run Unreal 4, you'd expect ports to be possible... scaled down, yes, but possible none-the-less.

So can the iPhone. :indeed: Does that mean you do it?

What about the vast vast majority of games that dont run on unreal? Its kind of crazy how the current Nintendo fans are.

Edited by Choze

What about the vast vast majority of games that dont run on unreal? Its kind of crazy how the current Nintendo fans are.

I never that that they should or will do it, just said how they probably could.

...Are you implying that Kav is a typical Nintendo fanboy or something? In this forum, I'd say he's one of their biggest critics :heh:

...Are you implying that Kav is a typical Nintendo fanboy or something? In this forum, I'd say he's one of their biggest critics :heh:

People need to be abit more realistic with what to expect from the hardware. No signs of any PS4 ports for a reason.

People need to be abit more realistic with what to expect from the hardware. No signs of any PS4 ports for a reason.

Was it that unrealistic to expect something.. more modern? Remember we weren't completely sure it was a hybrid until recently. It wasn't that far-fetched to have hope it could compete in power to consoles that have already been out for three years.