NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Classic Mini (NES) - November 11

...you basically just started that conversation ::shrug:

Oh... Yeah...

Now, I can explain myself...

kemp-o.gif

Just been into my local Smyths store after hearing they were getting a delivery today. Missed out by half an hour... Their whole batch sold out within two.

Been refreshing Amazon every hour and despite it appearing sparodically over the past couple of days, I've still not managed to bag one.

How is this thing STILL so hard to find?

Looks like the rumours of it being discontinued are true.

Nintendo will discontinue the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition and the last shipments will go out to retailers throughout this month.

A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

“Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product.”

Additionally, a representative told IGN, “NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.” The company has no plans to produce more NES Classic systems for North America. This announcement includes the discontinuation of the NES Classic Controller. As for third party accessories, Nintendo said the decision whether or not to continue production of accessories will be up to each individual manufacturer.

What is the thought process behind launching a product at the end of 2016 in limited quantity then discontinuing it barely six months later?

What is the thought process behind launching a product at the end of 2016 in limited quantity then discontinuing it barely six months later?

It's absolutely baffling. If the product was a flop then it would make sense but the demand has always been there for this. They are literally leaving money on the table.

One of my mates is still after one and I've let him know the news. He's just bit the bullet and snapped one up off of eBay for £80 brand new. Once news start to spread about the discontinuation then the prices will skyrocket even further.

It's absolutely baffling. If the product was a flop then it would make sense but the demand has always been there for this. They are literally leaving money on the table.

I was thinking that perhaps the Virtual Console is around the corner for Switch (although there was no mention of it in the direct last night) and they are planning to charge the same prices for NES games that they have for Wii U and 3DS. Maybe they want to avoid negative press over those prices when it works out cheaper to buy a NES mini (at RRP).

But even then, a NES mini is locked down to it's pre-installed 30 title's and ideally the switch will have a great deal more VC games added to its library in its lifetime. I can't figure it out.

It's almost as if they designed the thing for scalpers lol

"We have nothing else to offer at Christmas" presumably.

Just in time for them to launch the VC on Switch :p

Roll on the SNES Mini

Did i just believe a rumour, or weren't these the Wii mini consoles they couldn't shift just repackaged as something else?

Im a lazy wannabe elitist. Find me the cheapest 2nd hand ebay NES Classic Mini, and i will pay you for your quest. This is not a 6 figure amount.

Did i just believe a rumour, or weren't these the Wii mini consoles they couldn't shift just repackaged as something else?

You probably got that off of me, since that's what I was originally thinking they did to make these (Turned out that I was wrong, it was still a plausable guess though!)

Anyway, it's bafflingly stupid, but it is a typical Nintendo-like decision, so par for the course really :heh:

It's a shame that it was so obviously released just to make some quick cash over Xmas because it means they're not likely to make a SNES mini anytime soon. It seems pretty illogical that they're leaving money on the table though.

Not really a surpise but Eurogamer says the NES mini is being discontinued in europe as well:

Nintendo discontinues NES Mini in Europe, too

In other words, the device has now been discontinued worldwide.

"We can confirm that we are no longer manufacturing the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System," a Nintendo spokesperson told Eurogamer today.

"If production resumes in the future, an update will be posted on the official Nintendo website."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-18-nes-mini-discontinued-in-europe-too

Off the back of the SNES mini having continued production in 2018, the NES mini will also be back in stock next year:

Edited by Helmsly

NES and SNES mini Double pack? ;) (just like Nintendo used to do but with SNES games)

Calling it now. :p

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:
Off the back of the SNES mini having continued production in 2018, the NES mini will also be back in stock next year:

Great to hear. However, one of my mates will very annoyed over this. He forked out £130 for one after production ended as he figured, as did all of us, that Nintendo were done with it.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Great to hear. However, one of my mates will very annoyed over this. He forked out £130 for one after production ended as he figured, as did all of us, that Nintendo were done with it.

Well if he gets a few from this run, he can sell them on.. if he gets 4 for example, he could sell them on for £65 each, when Nintendo cease production again!

Also.. I wonder if this is due to not being able to meet demand for the switch/ trying to benefit from exposure thanks to the switch...

Nice, I'll get one. I want this one more than the SNES.. It's so much cuter!

Edit: Does this mean VC gets delayed to Summer 2018 at the very least? :laughing:

Edited by Sméagol

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's a warning if there ever was one. Don't pay substantially more than RRP. You'll only regret it.

41 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

There's a warning if there ever was one. Don't pay substantially more than RRP. You'll only regret it.

Unless they didn't actually do another run. But, yeah, it is always a risky business.

Sad part was he waited for so long and then picked it up after getting tired of waiting. Had he waited another month them he could have saved some cash.