NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Ghostbusters (2016)

Why the hell was that possession part included in the trailer? It's not needed to "sell" the film, yet they put both the concept and the resolution of that part of the film in the trailer?

This looks utterly tragic and the 'humour' so forced and poor. This was a bad idea from the start and from the reception the trailer is getting, it has flop written all over it.

I didn't think it looked that bad. I stopped watching 2/3 of the way through so I didn't get to whatever Cube described.

Been a long long time since I saw the original, but amused by someone on Facebook moaning this lacks realism.

Lacking realism. In a film called GHOSTBUSTERS.

Been a long long time since I saw the original, but amused by someone on Facebook moaning this lacks realism.

Lacking realism. In a film called GHOSTBUSTERS.

But there's a REALLY FUNNY BIT, the black one, who obviously talks like she's straight off the Ricki Lake show, she grabs the fat one and slaps her because the fat one is possessed, then she isn't possessed because she has been slapped (you know this because the ghost flies away), but then the black one slaps her AGAIN HAHAHAHAHAHa

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING, I MEAN SHE HIT HER AGAIN!!!! BUT SHE WASN'T POSSESSED ANYMORE!!!!

Get it? GET IT????

This is clearly the same level of comedy genius that made the original a heart warming classic!

This is sarcasm.

I thought it looked fine tbh. I think the Ghostbusters franchise is held in too high regard anyway.

I thought it looked fucking awesome.

I may have been watching this trailer though

Appalling. I wasn't expecting anything great anyway, Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy generally make passable entertainment, but this just looks so generic that it might not even live up to those expectations. The CGI looks dreadful, suffers from the same problem as most modern effects heavy films, there doesn't seem to be any real love put into it, which is surprising when you think of the reverence that the filmmakers have for the originals.

And I don't believe Wiig, McKinnon or McCarthy as scientists in the slightest. They might possibly be able to pull of the kooky, supernatural theorist like Aykroyd was in the originals, but I don't believe Wiig as a character who is better at Quantum Physics than anyone else. That might be the 'realism' that people are concerned about, at least in the originals you believed them as experts in the super natural.

Also, is this going to be R-rated? That 'it got in every crack' line seems like this could be R-rated, which would lead it down the path of every other modern comedy where all the characters talk like they're 15 year old boys.

Just looked up the cameos, Bill Murray is in it :sad: as is Ozzy Osbourne?? Such a bizarre choice.

I thought it looked...lazy. And I don't really care that much for the original two. I hope I'm wrong.

The 'got in every crack' line would probably be fine for most PG films nowadays.

I just presumed the CGI was trying to stay in a similar style to the originals.

I had hopes for this film, the first is a very good movie, the second gets undeserved hate, and despite not getting the sequel i wanted from a kid, i liked the idea of a new take on the franchise...

45 seconds in and its confused over being a sequel or a hard reboot (pro tip its a hard reboot, the originals are not cannon) and a vagina joke

heh

It was okay, it wasn't great it wasn't too bad, it played up hard to nostalgia more than anything.

I think McKinnon's character will be the standout one from the film but Leslie's character my god, where did feig get inspiration for her? the maid in Tom and Jerry? 90's sterotypical black women? christ it was cringe worthy!

Ernie Hudson got the short end of the stick in Ghostbusters mainly due to Eddie Murphy - for those who don't know Winston's role in the film was from the start and written for Eddie Murphy, he was to have a main role, but he turned it down in favour of solo movies. So the character had to be rewrote whilst they found a replacement and due to schedules filming on some scenes began (hence the original promo material being the three white guys). Hudson did wonders with the scenes he got and for his pain they gave him more in the second to build up the character

But either way the 'token black' as he is seen in the first movie (due to the above) was only referenced once as black in the 'seen shit to turn you white' quote, other than that he was the every man, not an academic but not stupid, willing to do what he could for his pay cheque

To go from that to "hey you guys are smart but i got street smarts and know new york so i'm joining, plusmy uncle will lend me a car" and i'mma slap the ghost out of you - its almost casual racism and was the only thing i hated in that trailer

I'm hoping its a batman vs superman trailer 2 scenario and its just so badly edited, but either way i'm rather meh about it now

This looks utterly tragic and the 'humour' so forced and poor. This was a bad idea from the start and from the reception the trailer is getting, it has flop written all over it.

Forced is exactly the word I was thinking in terms of the jokes. It's trying too hard.

Well, I didn't hate it and was actually pleasantly surprised by some parts of it. I liked Kristen Wiig's character from what we saw of her here and I also liked the new Ecto 1. I'd seen it before from pictures taken on set but seeing it driving around the,e it looked kinda cool.

I also liked the design of the ghosts, and the design of Slimer, who you briefly see in the trailer. There were a couple of bits I didn't like though:

But there's a REALLY FUNNY BIT...

Yeah I didn't care for this part at all. I really hope Leslie Jones character isn't the stereotypical sassy woman who'll shout "aww hell no!" when things get bad.

Also this part seemed a little cringe worthy to me.

Edit- Just watched the trailer again and she does actually say "aw hell no"...god dammit.

Edited by Helmsly

Yeah i was ready to give this the benefit of the doubt... but it really wasn't that great.

So Bridesmaids 2 took a different turn...

I was reading the thread actually thinking it can't be that bad...it really is. Even by my standards, it's fucking awful.

The ONLY thing that got a "heh" from me is the woman getting bitchslapped but everything is too forced.

I'm gonna say it: this feels like such a die-hard, because-we-can-too, girls-can-do-what-boys-can feminism film. Like, why not have a mixture of men and women like the cartoons did? That would've been epic. Having an all-female cast is the wrong way to go for the film.

Just give us a threequel where the old team retires and their sons and daughters take over. Fuck this reboot!

EDIT: I sounded a bit sexist but what I mean is that it seems to be all-female to prove some point that doesn't need to be proven. I'd have much rather have had a 3rd film with the girl from Extreme Ghostbusters or heck, even a film of Extreme Ghostbusters! I'll still give it a chance in the cinema because I might be surprised but as far as trailers go, it seems all CGI ghosts, vagina jokes, token black girl with ghetto attitude and Fat Amy wannabe. Kristen Wiig seems to be the only decent character who hasn't annoyed me.

Edited by Animal

Erm I'll stick with original Ghostbuster 1, 2 and the video game sequel.

How amazing was that game?! I just wished it was story co-op!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How amazing was that game?! I just wished it was story co-op!

Oh man imagine being able to do it with 4 player co-op (or 5 given the rookie)

Well i know what game i'm reinstalling on PC again tonight

On watching again i do find Wig and Mckinnon to both be looking like good fun characters, i hate to say it but even McCarthy seems a little toned down to her usual slapstic humour

As for you earlier post i get what you were saying about this film being a 'feminist' one in that it does seem like the entire genesis for this was to reboot a movie and the director made it all female just to bang his personal political drum, with the story and Humor being secondary or tertiary factors at best

If it were me i'd have written a good script before even casting like the original film, this was very much cast and then script wrote

Fuck, just saw the trailer, and it's burned a hole in my retina that'll last for a week. I won't be able to sleep tonight with visions of shite.

That is how you polish a turd, ladies and gentlemen.

To be honest, my issue is that it should've had a good mixture of humour and seriousness which the first two did perfectly. This just looks like slapstick humour and is literally a Bridesmaids sequel with ghosts.

I watched it a few times from showing people and the CGI looks cool and Wiig and Mccarthy are usually fun. I just hate that I've been waiting for this film since I can remember and it's a shitty reboot with zero nostalgia. I told everyone my idea for having Ghostbusters 3 and using Extreme Ghostbusters and even they questioned why they wouldn't use it. The plot is there ready and waiting, so are the characters and the cartoon had some sick ghosts

Disappointing doesn't begin to cover it. It feels like no love or consideration went into this and that the first two were disregarded completely.

It's like @Agent Gibbs has said, it feels like they did it because of a political move where it just doesn't have any business to even have that in Ghostbusters. Wanna make girls fighting ghosts? Go ahead but be original and don't ride from the Ghostbusters name to make money.

Edited by Animal

Before watching this trailer, I decided to give it a chance and went in with the mindset that this was a completely new thing, not related to anything that has been done before.

I can't say that I was overly impressed by that trailer. It just doesn't seem that funny, but that could be as a result of that trailer. The original humour from Ghostbusters is a bit dry and I'm not sure if it's something that comes across well in a short 2 minute trailer.

I do think a lot of the novelty with the series is the fact that we grew up with it. It's the same with Back to the Future. The films are iconic because they did things that had never been done before and we were at that age where it was all new and exciting. Plus, the jokes have been referenced so many times in other forms of media and there have been cartoons (etc) that have been based off that source material.

What would've been more interesting is taking the four stars here and starting something completely new and different. So that it could be the Ghostbusters-like film of this generation. Unfortunately, by taking the name Ghostbusters, they're inevitably going to be compared to the original films and it's just never going to measure up due to nostalgia and the influences that the film has/had (iconic status). A bit of a shame...this is just going to be seen as GHOSTBUSTERS WITH TITS.

This is what I remember as a kid... That leg motion. <3

Oh man, I could've hummed that entire tune and could've explained what would appear next on screen there. I've seen that outro about a million times. I fucking loved the cartoon back in the day.

I feel old. :'( I want to be 9 again. I went through a phase a few years back where I watched all of the old cartoons again, along with Batman: The Animated Series. Hnnnnnnggggg. Kid's tv is shit now.