NEurope
Beast

Weight Loss and Fitness 2016

Completed my first workout of the year on Thursday and then played football for almost 2 hours last night.

My arse absolutely hurts from squats. I fully appreciate how much better it feels when you do them more often. I've not experienced this for aaaaaages. It feels like somebody is squeezing my arse so tightly whilst also pulling it in different directions, as if the whole thing is some form of play-doh. My quads aren't much better. Walking up the stairs earlier was agony. Virtually every muscle I have (except my pen0r) is aching at the same time.

Can't wait to get back into the routine again so I don't have to experience this. It feels like my body is punishing me for having a break.

I think that's more anal sex related as opposed to being the result of squats.

Regular squats, not squatting over a dick as it pounded yo' ass.

Started the gym back in December.

I'd completely forgotten how addictive it can get. After having to take a week out last week due to some serious coughing/chest infection crap I'm itching to go to the gym tomorrow.

I'm not sure I'll say that after. But what can you do..?

I don't note down my weights, I just remember them from time to time. I guess that's rather ineffective but I seem to do fine anyway. However, I tried downloading the FitNotes app and it seems quite good, though I never bring my phone or anything else to the gym. I'll just update the numbers when I get back.

Recently I've been hitting the weights again in a more serious manner. I've gone from backsquatting 5x5 @75 kg to now 5x5 @80-82.5 kg in three weeks (two times a week) and deadlifting 5x5 from 105 kg to 110-115 kg (last 5 reps were at 115) so I'm seeing some progress though I'm not as strong as I used to be. It's nice to be on my way back, though!

Also doing some bench pressing but I'm only doing 5x5 at 57.5 and can't seem to push it further. I hate that exercise, would rather do shoulder presses and the like.

Also doing some bench pressing but I'm only doing 5x5 at 57.5 and can't seem to push it further. I hate that exercise, would rather do shoulder presses and the like.

If you can maintain that weight for five sets, you can definitely do more on your first set. Try one set at 60kg and then three more at 57.5.

Or give negatives a go.

If you can bench 57.5, 25 times then you can without doubt lift a higher weight for less reps. Then just build up the volume at that weight.

the only way you'll improve is by keeping a record...:)

I usually roughly know and plan what i want to do, perhaps following a set plan (like SL for example) and have it written out so all i need to do is write in the weight and tick the reps. I'm very bad at remembering what to do, or what i've done if i don't take a record!

Sure, I can add some weight to my bench press - I just don't see the point in bench press in the overall scheme of things. I only do it at the moment because I've been advised to stay off shoulder pressing because of the separation in my abs, I have trouble holding my back in this position with too much weight overhead.

Sure, I can add some weight to my bench press - I just don't see the point in bench press in the overall scheme of things. I only do it at the moment because I've been advised to stay off shoulder pressing because of the separation in my abs, I have trouble holding my back in this position with too much weight overhead.

The bench press is a fantastic compound exercise that hits a lot of the muscles in your upper body. Including the vanity muscles :)

I would argue, without knowing too much, that standing shoulder press / overhead press hits more muscles in the entire body... but yes, bench press is one of the "big three" (squat, deadlift, bench press) and thus should not be disregarded. I'm just saying that I don't see quite the value in bench press other than being an assistant exercuse for overhead press.

A proper bench press strengthens you chest, shoulders, triceps, forearms, core, lats, and even your legs if you’re pressing your feet into the floor as you’re supposed to be.

It's an absolutely massive exercise, the problem is a lot of people don't do it properly. I see it all the time. I've benched for years and even I need to focus on my form. It looks like a simple lift but it really isn't.

Edited by Daft

That is true. But it's the same with overhead press, and apparently (I just read this) since overhead press was removed from the olympic lifts shoulder injuries have increased - bench is harder on the rotator cuffs and can lead to bad posture, though any exercise done too much would do this.

Shoulder muscle imbalances can lead to chronic shoulder problems. The facts are bench press related problems and rotator cuff surgeries are at an all time high. And this is ironic, because we never had these kinds of problems in the 70's when we had the standing press in Olympic lifting.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa83.htm

I think it just comes down to personal tastes. I find overhead pressing more functional and a better exercise than bench press but both have their qualities, and I do bench press once in a while to vary the training.

Well I do bench followed by overhead press, so I don't have that problem. :hehe:

I think Bench and OHP are both necessary parts to a good chest/shoulder routine.

Well I do bench followed by overhead press, so I don't have that problem. :hehe:

I think Bench and OHP are both necessary parts to a good chest/shoulder routine.

I try to do OHP after bench and normally fail miserably. I need to do something between them as the bench takes so much out of my shoulders I can barely do the OHP.

It's definitely tough. If you're failing I might just recommend lowering the weight. OHP is a lift with relatively slow progress too, which I don't think helps the feeling.

If a person's shoulders are healthy I don't see why the bench shouldn't be a part of a balanced routine. I would think the injury issues are due to an over emphasis on the bench resting a lack of balance, and people's pre-existing posture problems.

Personally I don't bench because I don't have a bench. But equally I'm not especially motivated to buy one. The overhead press provides better shoulder balance and from an aesthetic point of view I don't wish to emphasise the pecs too much.

And I find I'm more motivated to train with a simple routine of intuitive exercises like the deadlift and overhead press than the more contrived ones. I realise this likely leaves me not as strong as I could be but I'm comfortable with that.

In addition to Daft's advice, are you eating and recovering enough? Also consider resting more between sets and exercises if necessary.

I tried a routine before where I followed up the bench press with ohp. I was in agony. My triceps were pretty shot by the time that I got to the ohp and it was a real struggle.

I'm back on this now. Have to find my skipping rope as I want moar cardio gains.

In addition to Daft's advice, are you eating and recovering enough? Also consider resting more between sets and exercises if necessary.

That's a good point but as I progress in the other lifts, I don't think my eating is bad. I have always been weaker in arm pressing so it's probably just a lack of prioritising these exercises.

Edited by MindFreak

I tried a routine before where I followed up the bench press with ohp. I was in agony. My triceps were pretty shot by the time that I got to the ohp and it was a real struggle.

I have rope pulldowns to do at the end of that routine, my triceps are absolutely wiped. Think I went from about 38/36kg on rope to 21kg – it's a little bit mortifying since it's the first isolated tricep exercise I do in the routine.

I guess if they're tired they've been worked out but it still feels weird.

I'll post a challenge. Do this workout with your full name in mind.

3819861f0c71bd5395276bf81d1f6473.jpg

Here's the PureGym remix. S'been up for a couple of weeks now but kept forgetting to take a picture. Too focussed on those Gains.

DSC_0680_zpsu4scr45u.jpg

Bit more variety than squats, press ups and whatever the fuck burpees are.

Bit more variety than squats, press ups and whatever the fuck burpees are.

I like that version better, it's a lot more varied but will also take a lot of time.

A burpee is: get down on the flow (chest should touch), get up (anyhow) and jump (with your hands touching each other behind the neck). Then repeat. Simple and very effective. It will make you burp, hence the name.

I have rope pulldowns to do at the end of that routine, my triceps are absolutely wiped. Think I went from about 38/36kg on rope to 21kg – it's a little bit mortifying since it's the first isolated tricep exercise I do in the routine.

I guess if they're tired they've been worked out but it still feels weird.

I remember feeling like jelly and that my arms felt like they were independent from my body. Weird feeling. :D

I'm fucking knackered. Did an hour and a half of football and am falling asleep on the sofa. It's only just gone 9 and I can't keep my eyes open. Trying to play football with sore hamstrings is not fun.

Got myself on thise scales that measure both weight and body fat in Pure Gym today.

I've lost 3ib and 1.7% body fat in two weeks. Pretty happy with that :D

Ah, I hate it when I'm unsure of how much the barbell weighs! The cap on the ends of the bar have been taken off so I have no real way of knowing whether it's 15 or 20 kg. But if I assume they are 15 kg I won't lift too little, I guess...

On another note, anyone up for this?

Hanging_challenge_highres2_New.jpg

http://www.idoportal.com/blog/hanging

Could be tempted but I don't have anywhere to hang if I'm not at the gym...

Ah, I hate it when I'm unsure of how much the barbell weighs! The cap on the ends of the bar have been taken off so I have no real way of knowing whether it's 15 or 20 kg. But if I assume they are 15 kg I won't lift too little, I guess...

On another note, anyone up for this?

Hanging_challenge_highres2_New.jpg

http://www.idoportal.com/blog/hanging

Could be tempted but I don't have anywhere to hang if I'm not at the gym...

If its 7ft long its 20kg, if its 6ft its 15kg. Male/female bar. Female bars often do not have knurling (that grip stuff) in the middle of the bar.

I would say the chances are they're probably the standard 20kg male bars as they fit on squat racks and are cheaper (making something smaller but equally as strong = £££££)

And unless its a serious olympic training gym it'll not have female bars